shhh. vk.

I've been up 26 hours, come on the dcp and see this ####. Let me tell you all who I am. I started in the vk at the age of 14 in 1977. I aged out in 1984 during which I had plenty of chances to march with other corps but did not. I am forever a velvet knight. Being that as it be I went to the "new" vk open house to see what they had to say. There was a few alumni not on the staff there to show our support for the corps. These guys are not the old vk, these guys are bringing back legally the name we made famous. I have no problem with that. Drum corp today needs the style of the vk back. Think of it as this, how would the vk be 10 years later. We will find out this summer. I for one can't wait. Please lay off these kids. They see people who have never marched with vk writing all this crap. Are you trying to change their minds about trying out for vk some how, and for the people who seem to think they are voice of all vk alumni, your not. Seems to me we have some vk alumni with one socal corps ###### at other vk alums that are with the new vkyao. Get over it. You guys need to just run your corps and stop worrying so much about vkyao, remember we had 2 corps before in the oc. competition is good guys. Last thing before I hit the sheets, to the people who don't know #### about vk and think they need to put their 2 cents in about everything on dcp please do us all a big favor and don't.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a FMM of VK in the 70's, and a staff member in the 80's (and one of the architects of the VK most people are familiar with), I have no problem with VKYAO using the name Velvet Knights.

Their director is my best friend, and marched and taught VK with me.

It does seem interesting to me, though, that someone from Impulse accuses VKYAO of ripping off the previous VK, when I clearly advised him to take a different road with Impulse way back in 1998. Perhaps a case of pot/kettle here.

Anyone outside of the organization is entitled to their opinion, and also equally entitled to keep it to themselves.

If the VK hype machine is too much for you, skip the posts, use filter features, or whatever means necessary to avoid them. But I look at what the Renegades have accomplished in seven years after they were accused of the same tactics.

If I weren't in another state I'd be there!

Garry in Vegas

VK 1970-1973

VK staff 1979-84

VK B-corps director 1984-85

Now I guess I can't relate since it's not MY corps that died that is trying to come back in some form, but I'M BLOWN AWAY that youi can't just be happy that a corps is coming back to pick up and carry on where yours left off. You're really more concerned with the presumption of using the same name? that's really more important than a real life flesh and blood VK returning to the field?????

Am I missing something? I formally rescind my earlier edict that you all "just shut the #### up" I want to understand this.

What makes a drum corps is a set of ideas and style. That's a bigger thing than then the people running it. Did the Blue Devils stop being the Blue devils when Jerry Seawright stepped down as director, with all the changes as Madison Scouts should we now call them MS?

As much as I would love to see the 1988 or 1992 VK out on the field again it won't happen. I'll never get to see the 1988 blue devils again either. The activity has evolved but the ideas that have made great corps great has continued. I thank those who made VK great when I marched and it is those ideas that I hope to pass on to those in the VK I now have the privilage to teach.

It is my hope that I can help the members of VK who march this year be as proud of their corps as the VK alumni who have posted here obviously are of theirs.

OK...well...interesting opinions.

I'll get out of it for now with a parting shot.

I was pretty clear in MY post above, but I'll sum it up. If the Velvet Knights, WHICH ARE DOING MANY THINGS CORRECTLY, are up and running and get the blessing from DCI and everything is hunky dory, FANTASTIC. Never said I didn't want it to be. I am concerned for the reasons I've already stated that that might be beyond ANYONE'S control.

Secondly, and this directed at John McCoy, any "kid" that comes to DCP to form their opinion about whether or not to march a corps is SEVERELY misdirected. And the discussions and opinions set forth in this thread have NOTHING to do with whether or not a kid SHOULD march a particular corps or not.

Thirdly, for Garry, if indeed in 1998 you advised whoever you advised to go this same route, somehow that message was lost. Obviously I wasn't their so I know not what the heck you're referring to specifically, but OBVIOUSLY over the last 10 years, the going "belief" was that the Velvet Knights would NOT ever come back because of their past problems specifically with the IRS. If I knew what I've learned over the last 2 days about incorporation and names and trademarks, hell, I would DEMANDED that Velvet Knights "come back".

And fourth...for Rich...BINGO. You're right. YOUR corps never died. YOUR bingo hall didn't get torn down in front of you. YOUR corps didn't get used up and left to die by an idiot who didn't know how to run a corps in the first place. THERE YOU GO. Glad you are at least trying to see a bit from my perspective.

So...I feel like I'm going to get dogged for saying this...but if "this" VK succeeds and everything falls into place for them and they give a helluva experience for their kids and their staff kicks ### and DCI gives thumbs up, again, GREAT. I've been rather vocal on DCP and elsewhere that Southern California would have NO issue whatsoever hosting SEVERAL corps within its boundaries. And besides, the "rivarlry" that people like John McCoy and Garry experienced back in the day is sure to continue now. Fine. I will applaud it.

I want kids to have the same opportunity I had from people that give a #### about them and are committed to being the best they can. My earlier opinion about how things came about with "this" VK still stand, and I'm entitled to that opinion. I'm not ripping them, nor wishing they'd go away. I just would have done it differently.

That's it on this subject for me. I'm officially out. I'm going to go run a corps...or 3.

Or 7.

to rzelinger:

for someone who says he cares so much about Velvet Knights, you're doing a really poor job of showing it.

I don't even know what people who are potential members of VK are thinking about as they read your posts. You're probably ruining their outlook at what they could potentially doing with their summer, instead of sitting around and reading ######## on DCP. If you care so much about the organization you associate with, don't post in the name of tradition, or the "real" Velvet Knights to cover up what you think is a "sham." Keep it to yourself instead of leaving sour tastes in DCPer mouths.

~>conner

oooohhhh ####. not gonna touch that.

But seriously. This is getting out of hand.

So how 'bout that Darth Vader picture? Woo boy that sure was funny...

star-wars-i-am-your-father-caption-.jpg

And fourth...for Rich...BINGO. You're right. YOUR corps never died. YOUR bingo hall didn't get torn down in front of you. YOUR corps didn't get used up and left to die by an idiot who didn't know how to run a corps in the first place. THERE YOU GO. Glad you are at least trying to see a bit from my perspective.

You know, dude.......I just wandered into the middle of a conversation for all intents and purposes, and my mind couldn't congest ANY BS towards anything that could bring a dead corps back for life, I know my "shut the #### up" was impulsive and uninformed, all I saw was people beating up on a defenseless VK coming back from the grave. I certainly didnt' want to insult any well intentioned peoples, and I can clearly see now that there was a bigger picture than what I said at the time. My apologies. I see that a well intentioned well run VK would be welcomed by all.