Drum Corps United

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you all have to bow down and worship at my uncensored feet!

uncensored feet? :doh:

this new organization really is going to be EVIL! ^0^

And, it also seems to maybe make sense for corps that want to focus their competitive efforts as a team.

A very Hopkins-esque statement, and a very misguided one.

Every corps should allow their members the opportunity to participate in I&E. It is a life-enriching experience for the members, and if your corps does not have it act together enough where you can give the members a few hours on one Friday night to demonstrate their individual talents ...

Yeah, I know. What am I thinking.

I must be an idiot for even thinking that the status quo will change.

I don't want to see your feet, Chris!

:P

Neither do I.....We applaud your dexterity in securing the domain name before anyone else could, but please don't make us get near your feet in tribute!

Every corps should allow their members the opportunity to participate in I&E. It is a life-enriching experience for the members, and if your corps does not have it act together enough where you can give the members a few hours on one Friday night to demonstrate their individual talents ...

This is a little off the thread topic, but since it was brought up, I wanted to throw out my take on it.

I & E can actually foster more brotherhood within your corps. If you have an exceptional sop, mell, etc player, and they enter I & E (representing your corps), the rest of your corps goes to I & E and supports that player(s), and you foster more corps spirit.

Now, that said, if a corps made up of mostly minors has this rule in place, I can somewhat understand keeping the minors away from I & E. The I & E night is a big party, and alcohol is served in copious amounts (woohoo) and is not always controlled as tight as should be. I am not saying having alcohol there is bad and I would never be so bold as to say wether anyone should imbibe or not. However in our mixed age activity, there are precautions that must be taken to protect the liability of the corps. One way to avoid any problems is for a corps to say you may not participate at the I & E competition and they do not attend as a unit. This would save them from any exposure to possible situations created by the mixed age/alcohol situation. If a member went on their own, the corps cant control that. However, by simply competiting and naming the corps you are associated with, can suddenly make it an official corps sponsored performance.

I sort of rambled there, but hopefully "you" (anyone) can see what I am saying.

Performing and naming your corp affiliation could be interpreted as an official corps sponsored activity.

If it is a minor, and something were to happen with all of the partying going on, the corps could be responsible.

Easiest solution, dont allow performances and dont attend as an official corps event.

This may or may not be the reason some corps have this policy in place, but it is one situation that is understandable.

Now, that said, if a corps made up of mostly minors has this rule in place, I can somewhat understand keeping the minors away from I & E. The I & E night is a big party, and alcohol is served in copious amounts (woohoo) and is not always controlled as tight as should be.

There is also alcohol served behind the stands at Prelims. See where I'm going?

IMO, the alcohol factor has nothing to do with any corps avoidance of I&E.

There is also alcohol served behind the stands at Prelims. See where I'm going?

IMO, the alcohol factor has nothing to do with any corps avoidance of I&E.

I think it is controlled better at the stadium, but I do see your point on this.

We agree. It may not be the factor, which is why I said:

This may or may not be the reason some corps have this policy in place, but it is one situation that is understandable.

DCU, Corps helping Corps....sounds good to me!

Wow! Just like that I'm Hopkins-esque?

I ALSO believe in the value of I&E, and I DON'T pretend to know the reasons behind the restrictions.

But, I could understand the single-mindedness of a TEAM effort to make finals, win a championship, maximize the placement, etc., that COULD be behind such a policy. Just what's wrong with that?

Field corps competition is, after all, a major aspect of the activity, isn't it?

For all of the bluster about doing it for the fans, etc., would you be able to take away the scoring and competition keep the activity?

And, it's another example of needing to know what the corps policies, goals, etc., are before you choose your poison.