Hey Cadets, how's this for unconventional?

As an afterthought, we can waive the age-out restriction so Hoppy can be the DM and lay claim to the title of "Bozo n' Chief". I also don't understand how people who claim to be former Xmen can be supportive of a corps that basically wanted nothing to do with them.

Wait, are you referring to the Cadets when you say not wanting anything to do with the Crossmen?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Jersey Surf do just this exact thing for a couple years in the early 2000's? I seem to recall that they ditched their surf uniforms a couple years and went with a theme uniform that fit the show.

Surf did use "costumes" a few seasons, I loved it. They wore the corps proper uni on retreat and in parades. Several years ago General Butlers Vagabonds did Fiddler on the Roof, complete with theatrical costuming. Very cool.

Is The Cadets uniform worth about 5 extra points, especially in the begining of the season? My guess is the if they show up in jumpsuits the score suffers until they prove themselves (as they usually do anyway).

Vanguard did pull a slight costume look when they made all of their members wear half-masks in '89.

Vanguard did pull a slight costume look when they made all of their members wear half-masks in '89.

Let's not forget the infamous tunnel-o-pants-change in the mid 80's either. :P

Back to topic:

Most uni's are just flimsy costumes today anyway. Any "real" uniform was gone in the early 90's.

Ironically, as much as I love the Cadets of old; the look, the sound, the style; those days are long over & I for one would welcome (dodges tomatoes) a "costume" change from The Cadets.

Edited by garfield_cadets

The Cadet's colors is one of the only things I like about the corps. Red, White, and Yellow like VMI's school colors. I think it would be stupid to change a tradition that they've had for so long. Now if they would cut the tradition of playing crap music I wouldn't be complaining.

-Weedy

Red, White, and Yellow

bdead.gif

Maroon, gold/goldenrod, cream.

:P

I also don't understand how people who claim to be former Xmen can be supportive of a corps that basically wanted nothing to do with them.

I don't "claim to be former Xmen"...I am and always will be a very proud member of the Crossmen, til the day I die. No claims. Fact. :)

As for the Cadets, I have always been a big fan of the Cadets since I was younger and saw their 1984 West Side Story show on TV. They're an amazing drum corps, and I respect what they've been able to accomplish in this activity. How could you not??

In regards to YEA, which is what I think you're getting at, it is my philosophy...which might ruffle a few feathers, but so be it... that there have been far too many Crossmen members and supporters over the years who have spent far too much time shaping their perception of THE CROSSMEN on what THE CADETS do. This obsession that some Crossmen people have had with the Cadets during the last ten years did absolutely nothing to make the Crossmen better. The Cadets are a great corps. They've been a great corps for a long time...decades before the Crossmen were even in existence. God bless em for that. The Crossmen are a great corps in their own right, and they've got enough on their plate right now to keep them plenty occupied without worrying about what the Cadets (or any other drum corps for that matter) are doing. Resentment is a colossal waste of time and energy, in my opinion, that could be better spent making your own corps better. Let it go.

I don't "claim to be former Xmen"...I am and always will be a very proud member of the Crossmen, til the day I die. No claims. Fact. :)

As for the Cadets, I have always been a big fan of the Cadets since I was younger and saw their 1984 West Side Story show on TV. They're an amazing drum corps, and I respect what they've been able to accomplish in this activity. How could you not??

In regards to YEA, which is what I think you're getting at, it is my philosophy...which might ruffle a few feathers, but so be it... that there have been far too many Crossmen members and supporters over the years who have spent far too much time shaping their perception of THE CROSSMEN on what THE CADETS do. This obsession that some Crossmen people have had with the Cadets during the last ten years did absolutely nothing to make the Crossmen better. The Cadets are a great corps. They've been a great corps for a long time...decades before the Crossmen were even in existence. God bless em for that. The Crossmen are a great corps in their own right, and they've got enough on their plate right now to keep them plenty occupied without worrying about what the Cadets (or any other drum corps for that matter) are doing. Resentment is a colossal waste of time and energy, in my opinion, that could be better spent making your own corps better. Let it go.

All I know is that it's a long way from Allentown PA. to San Antonio TX. Good luck and all the best. :)

Innovation doesn't mean changing tradition, and seeing as that uni is a HUGE part of their tradition, completely changing it would be insulting.

Seeing as how they've already changed it (to some alumni drastically, and then of course the thematic changes of the last two seasons) and the sky hasn't fallen, and they're still a great corps...and if that change helps serve their program and continue the tradition of expanding the boundaries of what this activity is capable of...it would be the farthest thing from insulting. Unless you choose to be insulted by it, I suppose.

So everyone knows, I have been told that this discussion has taken place for this season. Which I kind of expected anyway. And those who are against it will be happy to know that chances looks very good that they will take the field this season wearing their traditional Cadets uniform.

Just don't be surprised if they start exploring the idea of costuming as opposed to "uniforms" in the future. Sooner or later, somebody is gonna do it.