Academy

Ok, we got it Tsrts, you don't care what other people think of you...how charming. Just please don't spam the board with stuff you don't mean (or that you say to get people riled up), and we can have civil discourse on these forums.

As for Academy, I do hope they do well in competition. We all know about the more recent corps' that made the jump. Let's hope for a smart design staff.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ENJOY THE ACTIVITY! The only people who should be concerned about the competition aspect is the judges, and MAYBE the corps admin. Were the sport of the arts, and art is meant to be enjoyed. Who cares about a some number/a couple peoples opinions on a sheet of paper....and if thats all you care about, maybe you forgot what this is all about.

peace.

I dont think there is such a thing as losing in drum corps... no matter what show you have or where you place, you always win... IMO... because you always get better through out the season and progress. By the end of the season, by the time you play that last show, you have achieved something hardly anyone else has. That makes you a winner...

Congrats Academy!!

:music::music::music:

Warm fuzzies aside, I think the idea that nobody but judges should care about scores and "there are no losers" is silly. It is a competitive activity and there is not a thing wrong with embracing that fact and being passionate about the competitive aspect. It is really very easy, IMO, to care deeply about the competition yet love the activity and every performance simply for the artistic value it provides the fans and the learning experiences provided to the kids. You absolutely can care about the numbers while enjoying everything else drum corps has to offer. Those attributes are not mutually exclusive.

...and CONGRATS to Academy!!!

Edited by jwscv87

ENJOY THE ACTIVITY! The only people who should be concerned about the competition aspect is the judges, and MAYBE the corps admin. Were the sport of the arts, and art is meant to be enjoyed. Who cares about a some number/a couple peoples opinions on a sheet of paper....and if thats all you care about, maybe you forgot what this is all about.

peace.

I enjoy the both aspects. I log onto DCI every morning during the season to check scores the way other guys check the sports page. :P

I have 2 music degrees and am a performer. When I go to a concert I mostly enjoy it. However, I notice when things are out of tune or poorly done. Recently I heard a performance of the Mozart Requiem. It was very nice. However the tenor soloist sucked and anyone with a decent ear would have noticed (and did).

So even when there are no official judges, poeple go away from a perfomance with an opinion of what was good and what wasn't. If a band show isn't judged the audience goes away having their favorite and knowing cetain groups didn't do so well. For better or worse it's human nature.

Edited by shawn craig

I agree, they are all winniers!!!

When a coprs performs and there are some obvious problems I still applaud; I don't think of them as losers. I don't think anyone is implying that (I sure hope not).

But competition and scores are at least part of what motivates the staff and members of a corps. Your score and judges comments (not so much your placement) is a measureing tool which helps guide instruction and shows progress.

Some of my favorite shows every summer don't score as well as others. While I appreciate the execution and respect the judges, seveal DCI championship shows are just not my favorites from that year; they don't move me. So yes, there is more to it than what the judges say. I think very few, if any, fans form opinions of what they like solely on that.

I am able to appreciate all aspects; the work and effort of the members, the artistry and design of the staff, and the execution of the show.

Recognizing the beautiftul sound of this brass line, or the tuning problems of another brass line is just part of my training I can't help it. Ranking performances based on both difficulty, artistry, and execution are natuaral ways our brain files and stores information. It's a PART of drum corps, not the only part or the most important part, but a part none the less.

Edited by shawn craig

IF drum corps was about winning and losing, then 99% of the corps would close up shop. Because only one corps per division wins. And then every one else losses. Drum corps is about what you learn, how you become a better musician and human being. It helps young men and women grew, mature, and develope inot better persons.

Sure its nice to win, but its better to bevaome a better person each day as the season goes by.

Its not just about winning....... every one who does drum corps is a winner!

here is The Academy schedule per DCI website

June 22 Riverside

June 23 Walnut

June 24 Phoenix

July 14 Bellflower

July 15 Newbury Park

July 21 San Antonio

July 23 Enid OK

July 25 Lincoln NE

July 28 Denver

August 2 Tucson

Augist 4 Phoenix