Girls in cavaliers & Scouts?

This is insane. Tradition isn't a bad thing.

A misconception that is seen alot on this board and in general is that change is good, and people who do not accept change are close-minded. Besides, even if these corps went co-ed, why would it need to?

There is a reason why both of these corps are successful. Because they have tradition and the members of these corps are proud to march with a corps that holds those so highly.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durrrr I'm a boy and you're a girl. You can't be in my corps because we have a tradition of only allowing boys. Okay, okay, I know that there was this whole movement that made the world realize that women are just as good at things as men. And I know that the whole boy tradition started because of the male dominance in our society back then. Still, having a ##### counts for something. And, by God, even if this tradition is kind of stupid based on the perspective we now have of the world and society, we're going to keep it.

######.

Yes, that's exactly the reasoning those defending the all-male tradition have been using. /sarcasm

There are certain times when men like to gather with each other and certain times when women like to gather with each other. It's not biased against the opposite gender, it's just that it has nothing to do with them. It goes back to a time in our childhood - before we even knew who each other were.

Edited by Piper

But doesn't it make for a more interesting conversation to discuss the moral, ethical, creative, etc., issues rather than the legal ones? People cheat and harm under the protection of the law all the time. Doesn't mean we should.

HH

But is the "harm" real or perceived? Particularly when considering that the MAJORITY of corps competing at all levels are NOT all-male. What opportunity is any woman being denied by being excluded from marching with Cavaliers or the Madison Scouts?

The opportunity to experience drum corps at it's pinnacle?

No.. as I pointed out earlier, since DCI's inception, co-ed corps hold more titles than single gender corps.

The opportunity to march locally?

No, again.. the "locality" of any drum corps is as close as your nearest airport anymore.. and just because you live close by is no guarantee you will make the corps anyway. Even so, another HIGHLY COMPETITIVE co-ed corps exists at about the mid-point between Cavaliers and Scouts on the map.. not to mention all the other corps in a decent distance who are ALSO highly competitive and co-ed.

Morally, ethically, religiously, whatever.. I don't see the error of an all-male (or all-female) corps existing in this day and age. In fact, I think it's a rarer opportunity for the young men who participate to have a single-gender experience such as this.. Some people thrive in a co-educational environment.. some do not.. some gather benefits from a single-gendered environment that could never be gathered for them outside of that experience.

Morally and ethically, is it more appropriate to deny them that experience for the sake of being politically correct "with the times" than it is to avail that experience to them?

Stef

There are certain times when men like to gather with each other and certain times when women like to gather with each other. It's not biased against the opposite gender, it's just that it has nothing to do with them.

OK. When I want to hang out with the dudes, I'll go grab a beer with them and watch the game. However, when performing or preparing for a performance, gender is the last thing on my mind when thinking about my fellow members.

OK. When I want to hang out with the dudes, I'll go grab a beer with them and watch the game. However, when performing or preparing for a performance, gender is the last thing on my mind when thinking about my fellow members.

Well I certainly hope so.