Warms up and basic questions

In Charge

My kids have guard class everyday, so we kind of have a different routine.

1. Everyday they run, stretch, and do a short work out of crunches, leg lifts, and push ups for strengthening.

2. On Monday and Wednesday, during class, we have a ballet teacher come in and work movement with them.

3. Then on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, during class, we work on equipment fundamentals.

4. After school rehearsals are on Tuesday and Friday. We have 2 guards so we use that time to further work on fundamentals and then clean or teach more work in the show. But we usually spend at least an hour to hour and a half on movement and equipment fundamentals.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even explain all the exercises I've learned on flag and both weapons. I can however count them.......

For flag: 16

Rifle: 9

Sabre: 11 (possibly more)

Anyone know of any really hard exercises they would like to share?

My guard is moving up a class (from novice to A) so I am looking at how I run rehearsal and what I do. Could u all be so kind and answer these questions for me?

What kind of warm ups do you do with your guard? Also I am trying to get my guard to be more flexable. I also want to build strangth. How long to you normaly spend on warmups? And last but not least do you do basics at every rehearsal if so how much time do you spend on them and what basics do you do?

THanks!

stretch for 20 - 30 mins - make sure you have them do splits! we have the girls hold right, left and center splits for 5 mins on each way. we also do crunches, push ups, and back bends.

across the floors:

• jazz walks
  • jazz runs
  • chasse
  • sautes
  • kicks
  • tour jetes
  • grande jetes (split leaps)
  • a combo that includes all these basic skills

flag basics:

• drop spins
  • double time
  • flutters
  • silk tosses (
  • pole tosses
  • pull hits
  • 45 degree tosses
  • tricks if we have time

rifle basics:

• consecutives
  • pull hits / angle exercise (also called starts and stops)
  • single tosses through quads (or 5s depending on the skill level)
  • tricks if we have time

sabre basics:

• consecutives
  • pull hits / angle exercise (also called starts and stops)
  • hilt tosses single through 5s
  • blade tosses singles through 5s
  • tricks if we have time

Blade fives......yikes! No kidding, bump that A class up to open! Even most world guards in IW aren't tossing blade fives as a line or group (solo maybe)

Blade fives......yikes! No kidding, bump that A class up to open! Even most world guards in IW aren't tossing blade fives as a line or group (solo maybe)

it's not like we spend hours on blade 5s... we simply give them time to work on advanced skills. they do not throw blade 5s in shows, but we do feel it is important to give them advanced knowledge... an no one has hurt themselves! that god we had a good weapon teacher on staff!! lord knows, i can't throw blade 5s!!

I have an okay blade quad.....I know people say "oh its just one more rotation" for a five but its scary......I'll find out this weekend if I can toss (and catch) one.

I have an okay blade quad.....I know people say "oh its just one more rotation" for a five but its scary......I'll find out this weekend if I can toss (and catch) one.

I can do one from time to time.

Why are blades so much scarier than hilts? It's the one-handed catch I guess. But really I guess it's just all in how much time you've spent on it. I remember when I was just learning and blade triples scared me to death.