Warms up and basic questions

In Charge

hehehe....I think after everyone has read the majority of my posts on here....I am NOT french, nor can I spell it. But I can communicate to my kids enough for them to understand. Some guards I've worked with name things for them to understand....

I.E. Rondasion (again sp?) they call a Cinnamon Roll.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God! Every French ballet mistress is rolling over in her grave!

sota arabess: do you mean sauté arabesque?

Rondasion: could you possibly mean rond de jambe?

Here's a great link to help you with your terminology:

http://www.ballet-academy.com/Dictionary.htm

I used to have a great one that had videos of dancers performing various exercises, but I can't find the link now.

Also, I disagree that the plié is the most important exercise in dance. I think the battement tendu is. That's what Balanchine taught. Virtually every move in ballet commences and finishes with a tendu.

Also, I disagree that the plié is the most important exercise in dance. I think the battement tendu is. That's what Balanchine taught. Virtually every move in ballet commences and finishes with a tendu.

Balanchine's theory was based on one very revolutionary idea - "What you do in class is what you do on stage." I think a fair number of would-be color guard choreographers should meditate on that one.

:music:

Oh my God! Every French ballet mistress is rolling over in her grave!

sota arabess: do you mean sauté arabesque?

Rondasion: could you possibly mean rond de jambe?

Here's a great link to help you with your terminology:

http://www.ballet-academy.com/Dictionary.htm

I used to have a great one that had videos of dancers performing various exercises, but I can't find the link now.

I think we've argued about this before......if I was teaching dance to just dance, I probly would use correct terminology. However, it is colorguard and my focus is more on the equipment and manipulating the members bodies enough to do what I need them to do.

Even the big boys like division 1 drumcorps and world class winterguards use incorrect terms. IT's OK!

Well it's certainly not a major no-no or anything. But I like to take the time to study up and make sure I'm using correct terminology. I guess it's just a personal thing, but I like my students to come out of the program with some education and sophistication about dance.

I have to agree!

I use proper terminology for the simple purpose of education as well.

Also, Battement Tendu is where ever move starts and finishes and I agree but you can't disregard (that sounds a bit harsh ... I'm sorry) the importance of a good Plie.

It's an important skill to good movement technique. Almost like the prep before a toss.

It sets up the ability to move across the floor. Helps with the proper way to do Pirouettes, as well as Chaines Turns, the take off and landing of other skills (Sautes, Leaps etc.)

Here is a fantastic resource to use for ballet terms:

http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html

good stuff :)

I didn't think that every dance element needed to be listed...but yes, plie er plea's (sp?) is something that is in the summer extensively, but move on to other things, checking plea's as needed. I think it's a bit overkill for a plea exercise every rehearsal when it's a checkpoint in most exercises.

*ramble off*

Every dance element? If i had to chose just one element for dance to learn and go over in basics it'd be plies. Plain and simple.....you use them everywhere in guard, like when you jazz run for instance, having a smooth jazz run and flow of equipment is affected by if you plie or not. Any leap you do, any jump you do, any chasse you do, and every step of a jazz run has plie in it or is supposed to.

Plie helps with body control and gives you an opportunity to work on grace and port de bras both of which can make or break a show (especially an elegant delicate lady-like show).