Warms up and basic questions

In Charge

Ditto Here!!!!

My girls don't throw higher than a blade triple. It's a more controlled toss and not as scary coming down! I think anything higher isn't as controlled. Besides the added height, does it really matter, from a judges standpoint?

Higher tosses are also harder to clean! I'm a real son of a b**** when it comes to heights, RPM's, release points, catches, etc.! Something in my opinion, that some instructors now a days really neglect.

I prefer to write more variety within my tosses. Both rifle and sabre. I seemed to get more credit with the variety.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMEM AMEM!!!!

It drives me crazy when I see a guard come out and throw sloppy tosses!!!! ON ALL PIECES OF EQUIPMENT!!!

Talk about "poor technique".

What's the sense in throwing anything higher than a quad if it looks like crap in the air?

And catches ...... that's a whole other pet peeve of mine!!!!!

HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!

Just had to laugh!!

LOL

I can do one from time to time.

Why are blades so much scarier than hilts? It's the one-handed catch I guess. But really I guess it's just all in how much time you've spent on it. I remember when I was just learning and blade triples scared me to death.

It's the way you catch. If you have slow hands (as most beginners do) and try to catch late that hilt will go around another rotation and cause your hand a whole lot of pain.....When I was first learning blade quads I was too stupid to catch on the right count and my hand was one big bruise....I couldn't even make a fist....thank god those days are over.

And that is why blade tosses are scarier....

It's the way you catch. If you have slow hands (as most beginners do) and try to catch late that hilt will go around another rotation and cause your hand a whole lot of pain.....And that is why blade tosses are scarier....

True, if blade tosses are part of a regular practice regimen. Those of us who don't dabble with saber, as often, are allowed to be absolutely terrified when that sucker free falls at 30kph.

HA HA HA HA !!!!!! Just love your sense of humor!!!!

I prefer sabre, it's my favorite piece of equipment!

I think it's just a scarier piece of equipment in general. It's a combination of the tosses along with the fact that it's a piece of metal! With a bigger piece of metal at one end!!

Then there's the whole fear factor of it being thinner. The fact there isn't a lot to grab onto. Like a rifle! So my kids tell me.

My girls are always reluctant to spin sabre at first. Especially when their first learning. But when they see what can be done with it and what it looks likes in motion, they slowly start to change their minds!

Once you get over the fears, it's a beautiful piece of equipment. When done right!! And talk about expressive and musical!

Not saying that rifle and flag aren't but ........

Edited by epwtrguard05

I love me some sabre....there's nothing more I like than some good sabre rotation. You can't really see it on videos in long shots, but I love some of the creativity I've seen with it (and been forced to do in the guard I am at)....

I ALMOST prefer it to rifle, but not quite. But most of all I love where it all began, on flag......::sigh::