Warms up and basic questions

In Charge

My guard is moving up a class (from novice to A) so I am looking at how I run rehearsal and what I do. Could u all be so kind and answer these questions for me?

What kind of warm ups do you do with your guard? Also I am trying to get my guard to be more flexable. I also want to build strangth. How long to you normaly spend on warmups? And last but not least do you do basics at every rehearsal if so how much time do you spend on them and what basics do you do?

THanks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

basics at every reheresal, YES!!!!!

those are the very foundations every colorguard is built on...yes, I know it seems liike a waste when there is work and drill to clean, but it pays off in teh long run!

I stomp them.

I like a good third of my rehearsal time devoted just to basics. Heres a list of what I prefer.....

Body:

Stretch

body building (crunches/buttups/thighs)

Tondues (Memphis Sound '05 style)

Plies (Southwind style)

Batmas

Kicks

Other various lower body movement that pertains to the show we are doing (ie cabrios, stags, rolls)

Upperbody movement exercise (from Paradigm)

Across the floors

Flag:

-Spins (200 drop w/feet, 200 speed, 200 peggy)

-Carves (pride of cinn style)

-6 & 9s..... (six counts of peggies into nine counts of thumb flips)

-Pull hits (Sdub style)

-Tosses (45s, popups, peggy)

Sabre and Rifle:

-Spins (200) w/feet

-Spin stops (BD style)

-Tracks (or flourish)

-Tosses (blades and hilts)

After each skill is learned, it takes about an hour to go through what I call the 'warm up' stuff. Find a set routine you go through and stick with it all season.....i.e. do your body stuff first then flag then break in to weapons. The idea is you do the same thing every warmup for consistancy and clarity, also so the members know what to expect and when you do warm up at a show, they won't be freaked.

Good luck and welcome to Sch A!

Edited for peaheads! "Oh she didn't put everything! Heaven forbid!"

Edited by MHSmirage

I like a good third of my rehearsal time devoted just to basics. Heres a list of what I prefer.....

Body:

Stretch

body building (crunches/buttups/thighs)

Tondues

Batmas

Kicks

Upperbody movement exercise (from Paradigm)

Across the floors

Flag:

-Spins (200 drop w/feet, 200 speed, 200 peggy)

-Carves (pride of cinn style)

-6 & 9s..... (six counts of peggies into nine counts of thumb flips)

-Pull hits (Sdub style)

-Tosses (45s, popups, peggy)

Sabre and Rifle:

-Spins (200) w/feet

-Spin stops (BD style)

-Tracks (or flourish)

-Tosses (blades and hilts)

After each skill is learned, it takes about an hour to go through what I call the 'warm up' stuff. Find a set routine you go through and stick with it all season.....i.e. do your body stuff first then flag then break in to weapons. The idea is you do the same thing every warmup for consistancy and clarity, also so the members know what to expect and when you do warm up at a show, they won't be freaked.

Good luck and welcome to Sch A!

Thats very similar to what my girls did at Murphy for Scholastic A then SO class. Excellent advice MHSmirage!!

Early in the winter season we spend about an hour and 20 minutes on technique at each rehearsal. Starting with movment, then spinning. As the season progresses and the kids get better and our rehearsals become more efficient, we reduce it gradually. By April we'll be down to 45 or 50 minutes.

Edited by Jak

I am surprised the most important aspect of anything dance isn't on here, PLIE EXERCISES! Very important to teach a strong plie in a technique block so it translates into across the floors, which is crucial unless you want to blow out a knee or achilles tendon.

I didn't think that every dance element needed to be listed...but yes, plie er plea's (sp?) is something that is in the summer extensively, but move on to other things, checking plea's as needed. I think it's a bit overkill for a plea exercise every rehearsal when it's a checkpoint in most exercises.

*ramble off*