Contra Gal!

ContraEH

And to answer the question, yes, I think women can play not only contra, but any instrument we men can play.

suck up! :P

^0^

*hoping my daughter takes my bari and out plays me someday.......*

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude...............it's because lamebrain guys said "You can't handle that............you're a GIRL" that some of the most ###### contra players in the activity are girls. I remember we had a girl in the contra line earlier in 2002, she was really small but she was a KICK ### player AND marcher. Unfortunately, she had to move and we lost her.

Girls that play contra are a turn on.

• 3 years later...

Greetings,

Of course they can... BUT how well.. Its a unique situation depending on each person. As 2000 Crown Contra section leader I was sickend not because we had 2 girls in my section that year but because the schmuck who was the contra tech that year refused to support my call to have us pratice holding our horn up many times through out the year. So come finals night of my age-out year I see the 2 girls struggling to hold the horn up coming off the field, THIS IS AT FINALS.... AFTER ALL YEAR. My age-out show. Your supposed to have this wonderful feeling about it being the last show and all but all I can recall is how two girls were not able to hold their horn up all the way coming off the field... :( That being said, one of the girls later came back after a year or two off to march contra at Crown. It seems at least to her that what I had finally clicked as she was able to cary the horn then. Just a sad sad situation.

Now still that being said Ive marched 4 years in a senior corps and had girls do it, so its possible to be well done.

~ Jeremy

I think most rookies on the big horns struggle a bit with the horns, regardless of gender. Unless they are body builders and the likes as one of their other hobbies. Back when I marched many actually reached muscle failure during shows on Euphonium during their rookie year. Somehow I was never one of those, but I rode my bicycle over 200 miles a week and was in decent shape back then. Are you even allowed to ride a bicycle to school these days?

Fortunately back when I marched expenses were much less, and it was fairly common for 50% or more of the corps to have about three years or more experience in corps, most times with that corps. So rookies were relatively few and far between. You just don't get much of that these days where junior dues are more than most people that age have or would pay for a car.

As far as female contra players, they are more than capable of doing it. We used to have the Ventures and the Bandettes all female corps, and trust me, you wouldn't want to mess with their contras. I even helped sponsor a female contra player in 2002 for the colts. Which I may end up marching next to in all-age corps in 2006.

When I was in the Army Band, I went through AIT with a married couple. The Female played tuba, the Male a piddly little trumpet. A female on contra can be done and done well. I've seen that happen. It does however take a rare individual to even want to do it.

Don't even get me started on age out years. I ticked more my age out year than all four years leading up to my age out year combined, including my rookie year. Your focus is just off when you're ageing out, as you're trying to remember the moment and forget to focus on the show that you're currently trying to execute. I missed a horn manual at Semi's, then nailed it at finals, only to end up stopping at that point for some reason. I guess I figured I nailed the horn manual so my show was over at that point in the show. Except there was still a few minutes left on the clock. Throw in a botched horn repair during finals week on the horn you've been playing for the past four years. And some cheap plastic souled shoes that behave like skates on wet grass, and I think I could have passed on ageing out.