Troopers and "VK" back

Please, let me explain first! I am not trying to bring down the mood in the room. I, too, am very excited about both of these great organizations getting a fresh start and bringing out new corps.

I understand that VK is not Velvet Knights - I have seen the postings and such from their staff and board members.

I understand that Troop has all new management and direction and have new visions.

I am just concerned that everyone could be overhyping! Please understand!

I do understand that we shoud celebrate them both being wanting to field a corps and do well at it. Especially after seeing the likes of Magic, ECJ and others not being able to.

But, I see thread after thread of continual VK info and what is going on. With all of the hype of everything from "The Red Chuck T's are back" to "Bring back the Shark!"

It will be great if they can field a Div II corps! It will be great to see their rep and if they can perform it well. It will be great to see a new corps on the field.

Troopers - they have had 350 people sign up for auditions, so far. They have a great staff in place already. They have their new hall and have new instruments. They have a great tradition and they are America's Sweetheart and everyone is planning their summer around where Troop will be.

This is fantastic for both corps! :grouphug:

REALITY CHECK - IT IS THE MIDDLE OF NOVEMBER! :grouphug:

All the reviews will be great from the fans at first, but they still have to compete on the field!

Some of the hype that I have seen on here is that we should crown them Grand National Champions of All Time before the season even begins.

Also, here is what concerns me most, what happens next year? What happens when the "mystique", the "drama", the "prestige" of these corps wears off a bit? What if there is some great controversy that happens this year? (I hope that it doesn't, by the way)

From what I've read, so far, both corps seem to have everything in place. They both seem to have a strong foundation. But, is everyone going to be jumping ship from other corps to be running to Troop if the don't make Semi-finals or Finals? What happens, just to say, they don't rank any higher than 19th? Just from what I've seen, like I said before, some people are making it seem that Troop is going to win Div 1 without any serious competition. If they don't, then what?

VK - NOT Velvet Knights, THAT has been pointed out. Those of us not on staff or on the inside think that we are gonna see the '92 Knights out there. I, personally, can't wait to see them and what they play and what they do. But once again, I think too much hype.

I know that this has been a long post and that people are going to be ticked at me for being such a downer early in the party. But, I am also waiting to see what happens on the field.

I really do hope that both corps have extremely successful seasons! I would love to see both in Finals for their divisions. I hope that they stay financially sound for decades to come. I hope that every year they have to turn away people at camps. I hope that people are cheering them before they even enter the field. BUT - I hope this for all corps - big and small!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying.

However, lets look at it in a slightly different light: I think that the hype that is happening is in support of the directions that these two corps are taking. No one is delusional enough to think they can accurately predict the scores for next season. But what we can say is that these corps have set themselves up for success and will come out strong and swinging.

THIS is the hype. Not about placements, scores, or numbers. I'm hyped about two storied DCI corps coming back smart, and giving themselves more than a fighting chance to survive.

It's not about just fielding a corps again. It's about doing justice to the history of these two fine organizations.

That's what my hype is about. And I don't think it can be too much!

understandable, but how many topics need to be posted? a couple of days ago there were 6 different VK topics in the II/III forum alone..most if not all were from people in or around the group. I hope they do well also, but i think that's a bit too much.

I agree!! :)

Yes, there is too much hype, especially for the not-VK's. We all hope they do well, but I think those posts are equating to free advertising. The Troopers have a lot of good news, since they have to restock everything. They deserve some good press, but they run the risk of overdoing it. On the other hand, Troop has a lot of things they deserve to hype on.

In one year the Troopers have cleared their name with the IRS or whatever other problems there were, have made the needed management changes and IMO deserve the hype. I'm very excited for them.

Velvet Knights haven't been able to clear their name with the IRS in 10 or so years (how ever long it's been) and are going to be using just the initials VK. Sorry but it's hard for me to be hyped about them.

I think it's important to note that the Troopers, as an organization have not blasted these boards, or any other public forums with news and hype. Yes, we do send out press releases with corps news, but I would venture to say that we do it no more than any other corps in DCI.

Now, I personally love the fact that our fans, new and old, are excited about everything we are doing. There is a great deal of excitement in Casper right now - how could there not be? What our organization has done in the past 12 months is, IMO, nothing short of a miracle. It took a lot of tough decisions and some firm minded business folks to get it done - but it has happened. Who wouldn't want to shout from the roof-tops? Internally, many of us are - we're just not doing it out loud. We still know that a lot of work remains on many fronts.

I personally think it's wonderful for friends and fans to hype on what's going on in Trooperland. That's part of the excitement that is drum corps. We're working diligently to make sure that what hits the field this summer makes you want to stand up and cheer even louder.

Who cares? I skip threads I don't want to read so should everyone...Then again, I don't care--it's drum corps. Should any of it matter?

It's not like you're already trying to save what precious little free time you have by getting on DCP and reading VK spams.

Edited by ravedodger

Seems like VK is getting an awful lot of press when you consider they are not even listed as a touring corps this year in the recently released DCI schedule (in any division).

Troopers deserve the press they are getting as it looks like from the schedule they are doing a FULL Division I tour.