Peggy Spins

Musical_Spinner

OMG that is so cool...."THERE IS A FACE" i am so gonna copy and paste this and make my kids read it ...kinda like color guard history.... :lol:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! She says colorguard with the accent! Colagaaaawd!

Is she not teaching anymore full time? I am sure she is consulting...

No, trust me, they are not the same thing, not even when you "do them sort of sloppy and fuzzy on your checkpoints."

Now in music a G# and an Ab are the same but in guard a Peggy Spin is different than any other kind of spins.

Let me clarify what I meant: I'm fully aware that they are different spins. Nor am I advocating sloppy technique. The difference is in the effort changes; double time spins are even, and Peggies are alternately slow then fast on each count. However, if you teach a new student a Peggy Spin and they don't understand the effort changes, and they pass the vertical checkpoints (which most brand new freshman will do at first), they'll be doing a doubletime spin.

However, if you teach a new student a Peggy Spin and they don't understand the effort changes, and they pass the vertical checkpoints (which most brand new freshman will do at first), they'll be doing a doubletime spin.

I think I understand what you're trying to say about passing through checkpoints and it then becomes sloppy or fuzzy.

You're actually making the hand changes at the flats, which is really off the mark (a whole quarter to half a rotation, if not more off). Therefore it now becomes a "speed spin" (that's what we call them) as opposed to a "Peggy Spin".

Right?

Edited by epwtrguard05

Let me clarify what I meant: I'm fully aware that they are different spins. Nor am I advocating sloppy technique. The difference is in the effort changes; double time spins are even, and Peggies are alternately slow then fast on each count. However, if you teach a new student a Peggy Spin and they don't understand the effort changes, and they pass the vertical checkpoints (which most brand new freshman will do at first), they'll be doing a doubletime spin.

I know, new students sometimes do not understand the "velocity change" that occurs during a Peggy Spin. Once they are told where it occurs, they usually catch on.

I think I understand what you're trying to say about passing through checkpoints and it then becomes sloppy or fuzzy.

You're actually making the hand changes at the flats, which is really off the mark (a whole quarter to half a rotation, if not more off). Therefore it now becomes a "speed spin" (that's what we call them) as opposed to a "Peggy Spin".

Right?

Exactly. As I believe someone already stated, speed spins came from people watching Peggy spins and trying to figure out how to do them. If you pass the vertical checkpoint on a Peggy spin and grab flat, that is a double time (or speed) spin.

If you take a video camera and film the two you will see there is a definite difference in the two. The Peggy Spin will look like it is spinning much faster compared to the Double Fast or Speed Spin.

No, trust me, they are not the same thing, not even when you "do them sort of sloppy and fuzzy on your checkpoints."

Now in music a G# and an Ab are the same but in guard a Peggy Spin is different than any other kind of spins.

BTW, Peggy never called them a "Peggy Spin" when she taught 27th Lancers. To this day she laughs at the thought a spin is named after her.

I'm not sure "who" started calling them Peggy Spins but I know in 1982 while watching Garfield Cadets guard warming up my jaw dropped! Peggy was instructing Cadets at that time and April Gilligan was one of her students.

Maybe someone said, "Let's do Peggy's spins that Garfield was doing."

Malibu,

My memory is pretty fuzzy these days, but I remember doing Peggy spins before 1982. My high school guard was doing them in 1980 for sure, and I remember the Cavaliers doing them as well though not before 1982.

Malibu,

My memory is pretty fuzzy these days, but I remember doing Peggy spins before 1982. My high school guard was doing them in 1980 for sure, and I remember the Cavaliers doing them as well though not before 1982.

I could be wrong, but I believe you guys were doing Speed/Double Fast Spins. I'll see Paul Orset this coming weekend and ask him.

I know Lancers were doing them at least as far back as '77. I'll see a friend who marched 2-7 this weekend too. She might remember how far back they were doing them. It only makes since that 27th Lancers would be the ones who started it thus the name "Peggy Spins", but I don't think it started to spread to other corps until 1982.

• 2 weeks later...
I could be wrong, but I believe you guys were doing Speed/Double Fast Spins. I'll see Paul Orset this coming weekend and ask him.

I know Lancers were doing them at least as far back as '77. I'll see a friend who marched 2-7 this weekend too. She might remember how far back they were doing them. It only makes since that 27th Lancers would be the ones who started it thus the name "Peggy Spins", but I don't think it started to spread to other corps until 1982.

Okay, I finally got it straight. The Cavaliers were doing speed spins, and my high school guard did the peggy spins. Since they were both all male guards, I got them mixed up :laugh: