Serious audition question

juice

OK, so I just decided to audition at a top 6 corps this weekend (as of early this week). I previously wanted to march somewhere closer to home but I changed my mind. I didnt have time to prepare the corps two auditon pieces but I do have one kind of down. My question is does not knowing both pieces seriously diminish my chance of getting in the corps? I really hope not but if I dont make the cut, than I dont make the cut.

The other corps didn't require me to play a solo or anything so I dont really have another piece to play...

Well, that happened to me last year. I wasn't going to be able to afford it, but then the opportunity lent itself to me, and I ended up flying to a camp 4 days after realized I was trying out. I hadn't been playing my horn, and only had the music for 4 days... Needless to say I marched a top 3 corps this summer. So it is very possible, it just depends on how you react to the situation you are in.

As an instructor for a "Top 6" corps, I will tell you that the staff will be looking for the basics of playing. If you are brass player, in general, they will be looking for a high approach to articulation, steady sound production, phrasing, and interpretation. If you are a percussionist, I would say that the staff will be looking for a unified approach to technique and style.

Most importantly, just be yourself, RELAX, and do your best! You still have some time to prepare...and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck! You'll be great!

How did the audition at the other corps go? Or did you not go to that because you're going to this one instead?

Yeah, I was going to audition for the Blue Stars, which is this weekend, but I'm going to the other one instead.

It doesn't help that I had to order books for the audition and I didn't get either of them until tuesday. :(

Edited by juice

I think if during your audition you explain your circumstances as to why you didn't get to work up the pieces they require, but then say that you have some stuff that you worked on for your other corps, they'd listen to that. Drum corps staffs are more reasonable than you might think at first.