An Open Letter to the NY Skyliners

I stomp them.

(So will the Skyliners....................Just YOU watch.)

Thanks Rich!!

I'll miss youse guys this weekend though :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate that the Skyliners are having such difficulty recruiting. How was your open house! Anything to report?

I understand that the Skyliners numbers are low right now.

Which is fine, and what I expected for the beginning of this season. I don't care if a corps starts with two banjos and a ham sandwich. If you put a solid and comprehensive plan in place, and keep the negativity away, Success will come.

The 2007 New York Skyliners have a great show, a great staff, and a solid Plan that we will follow until the dust settles on DCA 2007.

By DCA, the Skyliners will be much better and bigger than they have been in many, many years. Period.

Lee Rudnicki (Looking forward to the January camp) ^0^

Which is fine, and what I expected for the beginning of this season. I don't care if a corps starts with two banjos and a ham sandwich. If you put a solid and comprehensive plan in place, and keep the negativity away, Success will come.

The 2007 New York Skyliners have a great show, a great staff, and a solid Plan that we will follow until the dust settles on DCA 2007.

By DCA, the Skyliners will be much better and bigger than they have been in many, many years. Period.

Being at the rehearsal and letting my son sit in for the first time in his life (he is 3rd generation drum corps), it was great. The instructors have done a great job getting the opener taught and played at the first rehearsal! He now wants to march.

The music is great and is definitely New York Style!

Anyone on the fence should come to the next rehearsal on the 17th at the Dover Post.

Key Poulan is an awesome arranger and is a very good fit with the New York sound. Can't wait to hear the next number.

Barbara Rogers

The turn-out may have been a little light for the open house, however, those in attendance played through most of the opener of “Murder in Manhattan”.

I have played SKYLINER music from the 50’S, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s either as a performer in the competitive corps or as an alumni and I have to say this years’ show is quintessential SKYLINERS. The opening of the show brings back the sounds of the SKYLINERS horn line with a vengeance. It is classic SKYLINERS in every way!

I would definitely recommend that you stop by the next rehearsal on Sunday, December 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM at the Dover Post to experience the sound for yourself. If you ever considered being a SKYLINER, or returning for ONE MORE YEAR!!!, believe me…THIS IS THE YEAR.

Come be part of the resurgence of the Sounds, the Sights, and the Attitude that is NEW YORK!

Edited by FRANK SKYAD07

I was the music caption head at Upper Darby High School in 2005 when we premiered "Murder in Manhattan". Good music, and well suited to drum corps. Best of luck in 2007.

Drum corps would not be drum corps without the New York Skyliners. Let's do it!

Respectfully,

Lee Rudnicki

Skyliners were my favourite corps 'growing-up' in drum corps in the '60's. They remained a favourite during my "missing" years of the 70's and 80's. Lee is absolutely right. Past conflicts are just that.........past........the activity would not be the same without 'SKY'.

Pay no attention to the numbers trolls on DCP. Many corps have had lousy winters with very poor turnouts, then go on to have great seasons in the top 5 of DCA and in some cases even winning. Talk of size at this point in the season is moot.

I, like many, many others hope that SKY gets back into the top echelon of DCA were they should be. (By earning it of course). If you are within reasonable traveling distance, and are on the fence, get to a rehearsal.

Gord Moffatt

I was the music caption head at Upper Darby High School in 2005 when we premiered "Murder in Manhattan". Good music, and well suited to drum corps. Best of luck in 2007.

That's awesome. The Skyliners version is different though, as we have infused it with tunes from Skyliners past.

The result, IMO, is pretty freakin cool. And maybe even a little Evil. ^0^

So I went to Sky's Open House to sit in and check things out. The show is uber-cool. It's what you might call "modern vintage." It's got that classic signature sound to it, but it is a competitive book compatible with modern style drum corps. The staff is also top-notch. I'm one of those people who likes to learn from the staff in front of me. And I tell you what... I could listen to Joey Pero all day. He's high energy, and that keeps me interested. I have no doubt in my mind that Sky will be just fine this year.

MMMMMMMM.....Skyliner ham sandwichhomer%20drool.gif

So I went to Sky's Open House to sit in and check things out. The show is uber-cool. It's what you might call "modern vintage." It's got that classic signature sound to it, but it is a competitive book compatible with modern style drum corps. The staff is also top-notch. I'm one of those people who likes to learn from the staff in front of me. And I tell you what... I could listen to Joey Pero all day. He's high energy, and that keeps me interested. I have no doubt in my mind that Sky will be just fine this year.

Hey Sayre - I REALLY appricated you coming in to sit in. Sorry we didn't have a contra tech for you, but you and the other fellow were very much appreciated! Thanks for the support and best of luck this season. I'm a BIG Joey Pero fan now too - I think just listening to him made my playing get better even though I wasn't in the arc when he was doing his magic - the same for Chris and John too.