An Open Letter to the NY Skyliners

Dear Skyliners,

With the 2007 Skyliners Open House right around the corner, I thought I would take this opportunity to address the New York Skyliners members, alumni and fans ... the Skyliner Nation, as it were. I respectfully ask all of you all reading this letter, to please think about what I have to say, and pass this message on to everyone in the New York Skyliners extended family.

As all of you know, perhaps even better than I, the New York Skyliners have a proud heritage of over 60 years on the field of drum corps competition. Over these 60 years, the Skyliners have enriched thousands of members and fan's lives with great memories to last a lifetime.

Over these 60 years, there have also been tough times. Each time the Skyliners have faced adversity, however, key people in the organization picked up the pieces and refused to let the dream die. Thus, the proud tradition of the New York Skyliners has continued. I'm sure that many of you reading this were responsible, at one time or another, for keeping the Skyliners dream alive.

As you probably know, the Skyliners competitive corps has recently gone through some very, very tough times. A few weeks ago, discussions were underway whether or not to permanently fold the Skyliners.

Yes, you read that correctly.

The Skyliners had one of its lowest ever placements in DCA competition in 2006, the money situation was dire, relations with alumni were at an all-time low, and members and staff alike were heading for greener pastures with other DCA corps. Frankly, the odds were that the Skyliners would not make it to the field in 2007.

And perhaps, never again.

As has been the case over the last 60 years, a group of people banded together, and decided they would not allow the New York Skyliners to fold. I have the distinct honor and privilege of being a part of this group of people, which is growing by the day, and led by Harry Eldridge Sr., a Director who has Skyliners blood flowing through his veins.

As with any corps with 60 years of history, there has been infighting, various factions, and some emotional baggage attached to the members and alumni who have been around over the last 60 years. People have been hurt by how they were treated by others in the organization, and frankly, people have done things that hurt other people.

As someone coming from the outside, I don't know the history of personalities involved with the Skyliners over the last sixty, twenty or even five years.

But, frankly, I don't care.

All I know is that unless everyone in the Skyliners could "let go" of any and all personal animosity for the sake of the Skyliners, the corps would not survive.

We began our first 2007 Skyliners Executive Team call with that simple principle. I asked each and every person on team if they could agree to let go of the past wrongs ... to forgive anyone who had done anything wrong to them or to the corps in the past. I also asked if they were 1000% willing to get behind the new Director and the Plan we were putting in place for the 2007 Skyliners.

Every single person on the team promised to do so.

Then, something amazing happened! It was as if a huge weight was lifted off of everyone's shoulders at once. From doom and gloom, things quickly became very exciting for the New York Skyliners. With this new attitude and direction, people started coming out of the woodwork to help get the corps back to its former glory, and beyond.

With this letter, I am reaching out to you -- the New York Skyliners members, alumni, fans and friends.

On behalf of the corps, I am inviting you to be part of the New York Skyliners success. If you were part of the Skyliners in the past, but left for any reason, please consider this your official invitation to come home. If you left on bad terms with anyone, all is forgiven, and the corps is waiting with open arms for you.

We are asking anyone coming back to the Skyliners to abide by the principle of letting the past go. For the sake of the corps, there is no room for animosity, conspiracies or anger. Period. Drum corps is about fun, brotherhood, and the love of performance ... all of which are in the cards for the 2007 New York Skyliners.

If you play in another DCA corps, and want to come to a camp to just watch, or even to play with the horn line for just a weekend -- the door is OPEN. This applies to any members of any DCA corps, Skyliners alumni, or whomever.

The Skyliners door is OPEN this season. Wide Open.

If you cannot be with the corps on the field, the Skyliners are seeking donations, as there is much new equipment to buy, rehearsal facilities to rent etc. If you make a donation to the Skyliners now, you will soon get a tax donation letter for your 2006 taxes. Any and all donations in any amount to the New York Skyliners will be greatly appreciated.

In closing, on behalf of the entire organization, I would like to thank all of you for the great support you have shown the 2007 New York Skyliners. This is going to be one heck of a season for everyone. There will be mistakes made and bumps in the road to success, for sure. But, we do not plan to fail, and no one is looking back.

Drum corps would not be drum corps without the New York Skyliners. Let's do it!

Respectfully,

Lee Rudnicki

Edited by drumlaw80

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first horn instructor in drum corps was John Simpson. Skyliner.

I am honored to be able to work with the Skyliners this year as a baritone tech to pass on some of the lessons I learned from John to help carry on the Skyliner tradition.

Another Skyliner that I've known from my first year in the activity emailed me recently and I hope he doesn't mind if I share part of his email:

"i was a bari in sky's salad day (late fifties to early seventies).

would gladly have taken instruction from you in a heartbeat. hope you and all

the other staff involved can get them back to a decent level of

competitiveness."

I've been a member of the Skyliner Alumni since Fall 2004 and I have to say, they are some of the finest people I've met in drum corps. It's time for everyone to put personal agendas and egos aside and work together for the good of your corps and move the Skyliner organization forward to its rightful place in the activity.

I look forward to meeting as many as the Skyliner family as I can over the coming months.

Edited by SaraNYC

Lee,

we used that premise in the fall of 94 at Westshore when we too had discussion to fold the corps. it worked well for 2 years. I hope it works much longer for you guys

Thank you, Lee. You are an inspiration.

Thank you, my friend, but I actually prefer the more-common label of, "Troublemaker who is trying to destroy DCA."

:P :lol: