ISU stadium upgrade coming soon

Galen

n22906049_32483545_5553.jpg

Found this photo of a proposed upgrade to Illinois State's football stadium, with plans to expand current seating by about 24000.

Not sure when this will get started or how long it will take to complete, or what effect it would have on DCI shows there in the future.

n22906049_32483545_5553.jpg

Found this photo of a proposed upgrade to Illinois State's football stadium, with plans to expand current seating by about 24000.

Not sure when this will get started or how long it will take to complete, or what effect it would have on DCI shows there in the future.

It may indeed affect the band week with the competition at the end of the week...usually late June.

Thay could always move that show up the road to DeKalb for a year during construction. Does De Kalb even have a show anymore?

It may indeed affect the band week with the competition at the end of the week...usually late June.

Thay could always move that show up the road to DeKalb for a year during construction. Does De Kalb even have a show anymore?

Nope. Last one that I know of was DCM in 2004. I don't know if they've hosted anything since then- although Huskie Stadium would be a GREAT place to hold a major DCA show, or even DCA finals if they ever get the urge to hold finals anywhere outside the northeast (which of course is VERY wishful thinking).

It shouldn't affect the BOA week or the DCI show at all. Look at the back stands. Those are the front stands as they presently exist. See the white thing behind those current front stands? That's the old fieldhouse that is up against the current stadium. In essense, the university is building a whole new football stadium but leaving the old one intact.

I wonder if the drum corps show will stay on the old side? I don't see any press box on the new side.

I'm guessing there might be some remodeling of the current stadium...and maybe not.

They money is not yet raised to upgrade Hancock, but they are working on it. It will be two phased. First phase is to upgrade the East side (non press box side) so that there are real bleachers there. Right now there is just wood ones. That will add about 10k in seating. Next phase is to close the stadium into a bowl with seating around the south side and an upper bowl. That will add about 14k more.

ISU is looking long term to make the jump from I-AA in football to I-A.

The stadium rennovation will take place in stages. I can't seem to find the website that has photos of what it will look like. This summer they are replacing the turf. As far as it affecting DCI-Central IL, I doubt it will since DCI has posted the event will still take place as expected. BOA Summer Symposium is one of the biggest draws for the area. It would be very fool-hardy to break off a relationship that does wonders for the School of Music, the University as a whole, and the surrounding area. A year or two away may be the thing that causes BOA to look elsewhere for a host.

Here's the link:

http://goredbirds.cstv.com/ot/renaissance.html

They are PDF's, but click on the links on the left that say Hancock Stadium. I might have been off on my numbers a bit by the looks of things.