Drum Corps Ethic's Question #7 Starting Bids for Membership

Let's say you were one of the 9,999 snare drummers trying out for the Phantom Regiment this year. Do think there is a dollar amount that could buy you a spot in the line that they would not refuse?

My best guess would be $7,500 starting bid.

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Or you could be the center snares personal driver and take them back forth to every camp and carry their equipment everywhere in the country for them. I've seen that done before.

Mom

If you offered a corps $7,500 so that you could make the line... they would pretend to think about it, then eventually tell you that you made the corps because you were the best for the spot... no matter how good you actually were. corps are usually stretched so thin for money, they can make anyone into a good enough player for $7,500.

7500 seems a little small, that's maybe 4 member's tour fees...

Let's think of it this way, if there were such an amount and they accepted your offer, how would you feel when you get sent home for being an absolute tick box while they count your money?

Or you could be the center snares personal driver and take them back forth to every camp and carry their equipment everywhere in the country for them. I've seen that done before.

Mom

LOL, rode with our corps drum equipment truck for five years and I'm a horn player. Sure some of my tics were forgiven because of that. "Don't chew him out, the quartermaster needs help".

And 'riding' means helping to load the freakin' truck after practice when everyone else disappears. :laugh:

Let's say you were one of the 9,999 snare drummers trying out for the Phantom Regiment this year. Do think there is a dollar amount that could buy you a spot in the line that they would not refuse?

My best guess would be $7,500 starting bid.

Mom

What's scary is I could see this happening due to less corps on the field (if the mega-corps are ever passed). Marching position will be placed on E-bay. :laugh: THis means that modern corps will remove itself further and further from it's roots.

They'd have to be able to hack it or almost no amount of money would be worth it for the corps.

This does bring up an interesting thought though. Should the dues charged be in relation to the demand for that spot? I think in some cases, corps already use supply and demand when trying to fill holes into the season. why not use it with auditions?