Flag tosses

297023-2toss-2.jpg

Now that Malibu has taught me how to do this :grouphug:

here's a picture of Italian flag throwers.

Steph, during the end of "Come Sail Away" the Quasar guard all picked up double silks (like the one's 27th carried with the red, black and yellow with the 'tails') and did really fast butterflies. That was the effect I described above. Yes, Quasar had the flags before 27th, and when they were still St. Anthony's Band, they were the first to carry double silks.

Thanks Steve and LL for the names of the trick flags. I recognize Mary Helen now, and Kathy. Don't think I ever met Yvonne or Monica.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so cool. You know, last night I had the strangest dream and Zingali and Sylvester were in it, we were all together and they were admiring my baby boy Ryan. Zingali was talking about how handsome he was and how he was a True Lancer waiting for his time to march. It was so realistic.

And there was a Styx song playing in the background, then all of a sudden they vanished without a word.

Hmm...wonder why I dreamed that...lol..could it be cause we were talking about him and Styx? And where there was George there was Marc? I sure loved being taught by those guys. :grouphug: I sure miss George Z. rip.

That is so cool. You know, last night I had the strangest dream and Zingali and Sylvester were in it, we were all together and they were admiring my baby boy Ryan. Zingali was talking about how handsome he was and how he was a True Lancer waiting for his time to march. It was so realistic.

And there was a Styx song playing in the background, then all of a sudden they vanished without a word.

Hmm...wonder why I dreamed that...lol..could it be cause we were talking about him and Styx? And where there was George there was Marc? I sure loved being taught by those guys. :grouphug: I sure miss George Z. rip.

Don't miss George. He lives on in a big way. I know it would be great to see him standing there saying something wild and waving his arms when he comes up with something that makes him excited, but he's right here in our minds and hearts :angel:

Don't miss George. He lives on in a big way. I know it would be great to see him standing there saying something wild and waving his arms when he comes up with something that makes him excited, but he's right here in our minds and hearts :angel:

I know what you mean, but I miss his friendship is what I should say, he was a great friend as well. :angel:

They opened with "The Great White Hope" . Guard was in red and black surrounding the CG captain who you didn't see until the line "I'm the Great White Hope!" , and of course she was dressed in white. Not sure what the rest of the music was (Come Sail Away) maybe?

I'll never forget how blown away I was by that show. I believe Grand Illlusion was another tune used. I remember some very high consecutive rifle tosses in perfect sync to the beat of the music that triggered a roar through the crowd. Didn't they also use a smoke machine?

Mucho thanko Beanman. :grouphug: You are able to fill in the those seemingly few blanks in my bald head. BTW - black flies are gone for the season - but now we've got snow !!!!!!

They opened with "The Great White Hope" . Guard was in red and black surrounding the CG captain who you didn't see until the line "I'm the Great White Hope!" , and of course she was dressed in white. Not sure what the rest of the music was (Come Sail Away) maybe?

If we're talking about the same show, then I just watched that one on DVD yesterday (and was blown away)! Now WGI has DVDs on demand, so you can order individual shows of whatever year you like through 2003 (except '78, sadly; apparently there weren't videos of that first year of WGI). So Quasar '79 was one of the shows I ordered, and it's truly amazing . . . though a little messy with several equipment drops. I had the privilege of seeing them live at the first WGI in 1978, and they blew me away! Wish there were a video of that show! Checking the WGI site, yes, that's the same show; it's called "Come Sail Away" and is available in the "WGI On Demand" section. (Wish DCI had something like this!)

There's a lot of history on this little DVD: Seattle Imperials with their incredibly innovative use of dance and bodywork flowing through the equipment work; Guardsmen, both years of the amazing toy solider show; Cavaliers winning their first WGI championship with loads of innovative tricks (which they later took to a whole new level with their "Jets" and "Bond" shows); a little-known guard called St. Anthony's Imperiales, who incredibly went from sixth place (I believe) in prelims to a tie for second place in finals in 1982; and three years' worth of Holley Hawks. I've gotta tell you folks, Holley '81 was the guard that just blew my mind! I'd heard about this, but never saw them do it live, and I finally got the chance to witness it yesterday: During "Young Person's Guide," their rifle line was spinning two rifles . . . at two different tempos! I had completely forgotten about this, so when they did it, I just grabbed my head in disbelief, then hit rewind and play several more times. Hard to believe Holley never won a WGI title.

I'll never forget how blown away I was by that show. I believe Grand Illlusion was another tune used. I remember some very high consecutive rifle tosses in perfect sync to the beat of the music that triggered a roar through the crowd. Didn't they also use a smoke machine?

Yes, they did!

If we're talking about the same show, then I just watched that one on DVD yesterday (and was blown away)! Now WGI has DVDs on demand, so you can order individual shows of whatever year you like through 2003 (except '78, sadly; apparently there weren't videos of that first year of WGI). So Quasar '79 was one of the shows I ordered, and it's truly amazing . . . though a little messy with several equipment drops. I had the privilege of seeing them live at the first WGI in 1978, and they blew me away! Wish there were a video of that show! Checking the WGI site, yes, that's the same show; it's called "Come Sail Away" and is available in the "WGI On Demand" section. (Wish DCI had something like this!)

There's a lot of history on this little DVD: Seattle Imperials with their incredibly innovative use of dance and bodywork flowing through the equipment work; Guardsmen, both years of the amazing toy solider show; Cavaliers winning their first WGI championship with loads of innovative tricks (which they later took to a whole new level with their "Jets" and "Bond" shows); a little-known guard called St. Anthony's Imperiales, who incredibly went from sixth place (I believe) in prelims to a tie for second place in finals in 1982; and three years' worth of Holley Hawks. I've gotta tell you folks, Holley '81 was the guard that just blew my mind! I'd heard about this, but never saw them do it live, and I finally got the chance to witness it yesterday: During "Young Person's Guide," their rifle line was spinning two rifles . . . at two different tempos! I had completely forgotten about this, so when they did it, I just grabbed my head in disbelief, then hit rewind and play several more times. Hard to believe Holley never won a WGI title.

Wow Sue thanks for the information, now I can see this! :)

Edited by Lancerlady

a little-known guard called St. Anthony's Imperiales, who incredibly went from sixth place (I believe) in prelims to a tie for second place in finals in 1982;

Hi Sue, are you talking about St. Anthony's Imperiales from Everett, MA? Maybe not because St. Anthony's Everett I believe were very well known.

Such ease of movement and ease of tricks that I would be afraid to attempt.....grace, beauty and the word daredevil all come to mind at once. When their capes removed before the starting line it was like the unveiling.....

And of course we cannot forget the captain that captivated the audience - Ms. Fitzgerald-Colametta - The Poole's sister....and a sister of one of our great rifles who went on to Erte.

Also fabulous during these years and earlier was the Defenders (Holy Family) - Rockland, MA although I believe my favorite show of theirs may have preceded WGI. They did Ho Down - Mary Berkeley did the show, I was mesmerized everytime I saw it! Jackie King, the directors daughter, who was their captain joined 2-7 in 1977.

Remember they used to park the captain on the 50.....oye ve (sp?)