Flag tosses

I agree but for some reason there are those who will call you out and say "That is so 1980s'." I do think some of those cool moves that were done way back could be incorporated to fit in today's color guard if done with a new twist.

Yes!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
BTW? 27th got all the glory because of George Zingali. There were a number of corps that truly competed.

In today's world.. I would like to see the competition. :)

Sharon

So glad I didn't miss this. Yes, we were so fabulous because we cloned George and had him in each guard spot.

Oh, you're so right, we just had so little talent. Our execution had nothing to do with hard work. Nope, we couldn't execute. We never practiced, we won best guard only because of Zingali. Certainly our marching staff had nothing to do with our guard either.

So happy I've now found out why we're still being discussed.

I wonder how NSs guard enjoyed being taught by one of George's best friends, also a 2-7 alum.

In today's world, well, you're still the same......it was what it was, you were what you were, you had what you had - as did we. Why would it change now? You've done this several times. It's tough to be green. And tough to still hold such hate, for whatever reason that might be.

Most of your posts lean towards that horrible word that begins with a "J".

It's a shame you just cannot be happy and have some gratitude for what that corps accomplished in what little time it was around. You kept great company, but you just cannot get over the fact that the east had more than one corps. Such a shame.

I'm so glad I happened upon this........hatred is an ugly thing as is jealousy.

So many other people lived it as well, but I suppose only your recollections are correct then. Must be nice to be perfect.

Best Regards To You.

Nancy

Edited by LancerFi

1979 27th was a fantastic show. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to watch it still.

1979 27th was a fantastic show. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to watch it still.

Thanks for saying so.

I just find it difficult to believe that anyone that was so deeply into eastern drum corps would know that Zingali did have a name for himself in the late 70s/early 80s, however we had never won the title. Yes he was known, but still today when I see a biography about him so many times 2-7 isn't even listed.

He won three straight beginning in 1983. Of cours we all knew he was a genius but I bet many people would be shocked at how little time he had for the guard. It was Denise and Peggy, and luckily some very, very talented members adding the rifle work.

Edited by LancerFi

Been a part of AND witness to all of the above.

Wow! :) Some recollections here.. certainly blow ME away! And I was there!

Sharon

I'd recommend looking into maybe some Ginko Biloba or St. John's Wort. I believe those are 2 of the herbs that may help with your memory.

It's a shame- so I guess your recollection would be that your guard was doing quads on flags in 76.

We can go along with that, anything to make you happy.

You know once again I'll tell you, read my bio - I was in the Reveries for many years, yes I was a rifle, and yes we did have a strong line especially during the winter guard season.

Because I needed 1975 off, then realized I didn't, K. Kerrins asked if I would march a rifle spot for the rest of the year in the Cardinals. I was still hanging with all of the Reverie/Blueverries in 1975 - there was so much sadness in Lowell one night at a show. No on elaborated but everyone I spoke to said they didn't know how they'd get thru the season.

So you see, each time you insult me, or my corps, you're not only insulting my history, butthe history of one of the original merger corps who would become NS.

• 2 weeks later...
So glad I didn't miss this. Yes, we were so fabulous because we cloned George and had him in each guard spot.

Oh, you're so right, we just had so little talent. Our execution had nothing to do with hard work. Nope, we couldn't execute. We never practiced, we won best guard only because of Zingali. Certainly our marching staff had nothing to do with our guard either.

So happy I've now found out why we're still being discussed.

I wonder how NSs guard enjoyed being taught by one of George's best friends, also a 2-7 alum.

In today's world, well, you're still the same......it was what it was, you were what you were, you had what you had - as did we. Why would it change now? You've done this several times. It's tough to be green. And tough to still hold such hate, for whatever reason that might be.

Most of your posts lean towards that horrible word that begins with a "J".

It's a shame you just cannot be happy and have some gratitude for what that corps accomplished in what little time it was around. You kept great company, but you just cannot get over the fact that the east had more than one corps. Such a shame.

I'm so glad I happened upon this........hatred is an ugly thing as is jealousy.

So many other people lived it as well, but I suppose only your recollections are correct then. Must be nice to be perfect.

Best Regards To You.

Nancy

Easy now...Down girl...take a deep breath... remember, you have all your DVDs to watch to know

that you were good.

Thanks for saying so.

I just find it difficult to believe that anyone that was so deeply into eastern drum corps would know that Zingali did have a name for himself in the late 70s/early 80s, however we had never won the title. Yes he was known, but still today when I see a biography about him so many times 2-7 isn't even listed.

He won three straight beginning in 1983. Of course we all knew he was a genius but I bet many people would be shocked at how little time he had for the guard. It was Denise and Peggy, and luckily some very, very talented members adding the rifle work.

George, did indeed, have little more to do with the guard those years other than approving work and saying "Holy #%@*" a lot.

As for the dissolution of the I.C. Reveries and subsequent movement of former members to 27th in 1975 and North Star in 1976, I have compared it before to a milder version of the Civil War. A lot of us in 27th had lifelong friends who marched North Star, and vice versa. To say there was no jealousy would be a falsehood. Going both ways. North Star came up on top in a few early season shows (and in some cases, not so early shows). North Star's Chrome Wall, Jerry Noonan's solos, always entertaining shows, and much, much more were appreciated by most members of 27th. Certainly, John Opie jumping ship in 1977 was reason for some animosity.

All this, in my heart and eyes, came to an end in 1994 when many of us were able to re-establish old friendships with those North Star alumni who came to march the 27th alumni - living proof of how the years can melt away in a few moments. How many 27th alum who were former Reveries would have marched in a North Star reunion if the shoes (and spats) had been on the other feet? I can't answer that. Although I'd be willing to bet there were some North Star alumni who considered those that marched with 27th that year traitors. Speaking only for myself, those North Star people who marched with us in '94 were treated with no less respect than anybody else who was wearing the uniform for the first time. It was the ultimate Boston area (and east coast) drum corps melting pot.

When North Star became a contender, I, for one, was proud to see my former marching mates from the Reveries march finals and get the audience response and kudos marching finals with North Star, and am proud that I was able to accomplish the same with 27th.

The late seventies and early '80's were a time of great change and evolution in Massachusetts drum corps. The emergence of North Star as a finalist, Defenders as a definite contender, the continued determination of the Boston Crusaders, and the up and coming Alliance meant that during one short stretch there were four corps within 25 miles of each other contending for top 20 spots. A very rare occurence, especially in the DCI years, and one for which members of all those corps should be very proud.

Sorry for the long post. I am hoping all involved will read this and attempt to put things in the proper prospective.

Easy now...Down girl...take a deep breath... remember, you have all your DVDs to watch to know

that you were good.

So true. You know, it's too bad that jealousy can linger to the point that bitterness still continues, when the reality -- as Jimmy H. so eloquently stated in his post -- is that there's plenty to celebrate in all the corps. I'll confess to feeling more than a fair bit of jealousy toward our cross-town rivals, Seneca Optimists, back when I marched. And they no doubt felt the same way toward us. (And there were plenty of other corps in that mix, too.) Especially when many of them ended up marching Oakland because we were the only corps left. But the reality is that all those corps had some tremendous strengths that I've been able to appreciate now that I'm older, and especially now that I'm sadder that so many of these great corps are no longer with us. Not just my own, but all of them. I love Seneca's guard, and can appreciate that they were stronger, overall, than we were as a guard. And what a marvelous visual show they had! I probably could not have said that (and meant it) back when I marched. Too bad, but that's just a reflection of my immaturity, not the corps, themselves. Whatever opinion I may have had at the time in no way diminishes what those corps really meant to their members and fans. Now, with the passage of time and hopefully gaining a bit of wisdom along the way, my loyalty to my own corps doesn't blind me to what all the other corps had to offer.