Flag tosses

What? There was a "Styx" winter guard show? And George Zingali did this one right? Wow...man I'd love to see this show. I'm a big "Styx" fan... :P Do you know what songs they did? I wish they had this on video or something...

They opened with "The Great White Hope" . Guard was in red and black surrounding the CG captain who you didn't see until the line "I'm the Great White Hope!" , and of course she was dressed in white. Not sure what the rest of the music was (Come Sail Away) maybe?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They opened with "The Great White Hope" . Guard was in red and black surrounding the CG captain who you didn't see until the line "I'm the Great White Hope!" , and of course she was dressed in white. Not sure what the rest of the music was (Come Sail Away) maybe?

Yep, Come Sail Away was one of their songs they used.

Edited by Malibu

Aw man..I'm drooling just thinking about it! I love the "Cornerstone" album that that song comes from... :blush:

Yep, Come Sail Away was one of their songs they used.

One of my all time favorites, of course.. :blush: To see rifle tosses to it would be awesome. :blush:

One of my all time favorites, of course.. :blush: To see rifle tosses to it would be awesome. :blush:

Stephani, it is on video tape. I have a copy of a copy so it's not that great. I looked on the WGI website to see if they still had it, but no luck. I know a better copy is out there somewhere. B)

Yes please if anybody has a copy, let me know....thanks! :)

The trick flag line.....

Tricks1972.jpg

Left to right.

Kathy Schlickman Doyle, ?, Maryhelen Shuman Groh, Patty B, Peggy Twiggs, and I think Yvonne. I can confirm this weekend and will edit the missing names here.

Their silks were lime green - almost like veils. As LancerFi said, they were dressed in all black with white cross straps. They were very distinctive compared to the flag line (black skirts with white blouses) and the rifle line, who in 1972 went to the red jacket and busbee hat.

Left to right.

Kathy Schlickman Doyle, ?, Maryhelen Shuman Groh, Patty B, Peggy Twiggs, and I think Yvonne. I can confirm this weekend and will edit the missing names here.

Their silks were lime green - almost like veils. As LancerFi said, they were dressed in all black with white cross straps. They were very distinctive compared to the flag line (black skirts with white blouses) and the rifle line, who in 1972 went to the red jacket and busbee hat.

Monica Mohegan, Jim's wife is on the far right. I believe Steve Groh told me who the 2nd from the left is but the name alludes me now!

Thanks Jim!

As far as who was the first guard to move them, you have to give credit to the Italian Flag Hurlers. They have documents that go back as far as 1637. A CODICE = a ancient book named "L'ARTE DI MANEGGIAR L'INSEGNA = the art of flag handling. In this book with images are described movements, tecnique, ect. It was considered as a special sport useful to prepare to the use of the sword.

As you can tell I am very passionate about guard. B)

Italian flag throwers use a something similar to a swing flag with a large silk. It's mainly trick tosses and exchanges, similar to juggling groups. I saw a few groups at a street fair in New York. I never found out if they were Italian nationals or just American kids. They were all dressed in medieval circus costumes with funny hats and big feathers...

...I share your passion.

Left to right.

L to R-

Schlick, Yvonne, MH (aka Mrs. Bean), Patty, Peggy and Monica