Flag tosses

I'm loving the new DVD on demand,

I already got:

1998 Bishop Kearney - I love that show (Animal Farm)

2000 Blessed Sacrament - great concept and the Run Lola Run soundtrack

1993 Blessed Sacrament - beautiful show

1992 Blessed Sacrament - I don't know how they came up with this show - but it's too funny

1993 Field of View - another hilarious show

1997 Center Grove HS - amazing show

1995 St. Patrick's - just fun to watch

1995 San Marino Academy - simply astounding. The best mix of dance, movement and flag work I've ever seen.

Later,

Mike

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about "head choppers" - when did they start?

I know we did them in 1979, can't remember if we did them in 1978 or not.

First one I saw was St. Anthony Everett (Imperiales) - 1975

First one I saw was St. Anthony Everett (Imperiales) - 1975

Me, too. Sabres involved, I think.

Down the 401, to be precise! :P

Just got my second DVD about five minutes ago. Time to charge up the DVD player again!

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY not fair!!!! Where's my DVD???? :lookaround:

I'm off the 401 too... still in KW!

Head choppers and "leg" choppers - wow. I remember those. 27th's maces did a fake hop over the mace in 78. The illusion was that they did like a jump rope once over the mace, but they actually let go for a split second (again, see video). Almost definitely not the first guard to do this. I remember numerous winter guards (St. Anthony's Everett, among them) doing this.

My high school guard DID what we called back then "jump the pole move" where we actually had to jump over the pole like it was a jump rope. I cannot tell you how many bruises I had on my shins from the jumps that didn't quite make it. In 1981 Madison also jumped the pole.

Two years ago I worked with a high school colorguard where I tried some of the stuff that I did in the Cavaliers. Exchanges over the heads of the drum line, rifle in front does a quad while the flags jump over them and the rifles catch, a parallel exchange that gets kicked back to the original person, blind exchanges and several others from our Bond, and Jets shows. I have never seen a group of kids work so hard to learn them because they thought they were doing some real trendsetting stuff. The band director loved it, the crowd loved it, and the guard members themselves loved it. Even the football team was amazed.

I just do not understand why more people who marched the late 70's and early 80's do not revive some of this stuff. It is so crowd pleasing, and the difficulty factor should please the judges.

Back to the original question; I haven't seen an actual answer yet unless I've missed it.

I can tell you this for sure, there was a flag toss in our show in 1977. The horns formed a company front then a line of flags in front of us tossed, horizantally, the flags over us to a line of flags behind us.

I know this for sure because I still have the scar on my lip from when the wind blew a flag right into the bell of my horn and I split my lip. Yes, it hurt and yes it bled... a lot!

Also, the WGI performance of 007 is on the 2004 Cavalier DVD (007).

In 1981 Madison also jumped the pole.

It was the hornline that did this move during drum solo Madison in 1981! Then they landed in a "butt flop".

:laugh:

I just do not understand why more people who marched the late 70's and early 80's do not revive some of this stuff. It is so crowd pleasing, and the difficulty factor should please the judges.

I agree but for some reason there are those who will call you out and say "That is so 1980s'." I do think some of those cool moves that were done way back could be incorporated to fit in today's color guard if done with a new twist.