Flag tosses

Wow Sue thanks for the information, now I can see this! :)

You're most welcome! I was thrilled when I saw that they'd finally made the earliest years (1979, etc.) available. And it's fast! I ordered on Monday and had the DVD by Thursday afternoon. (And I'm in Canada.) I just ordered a second DVD of what I guess are my "second" choices in terms of guards I want to have on DVD. Between these and the "Fans' Favorites" DVDs I have, this probably completes my collection.

By the way, I should've provided the link: WGI On Demand (Click on the "Click here for details" link to order.)

Edited by byline

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo LancerFi - let's just state for the record - for the benefit of everyone else - that between:

St. Anthony's Imperials from Everett (taught by Bruce Leo - RIP)

St. Therese Little Flowers also from Everett (taught by Donna Ebert)

St. Patrick's Shamrocks from Stoneham (taught by Jack Whelan and later Steven Covitz)

Holy Family Defenders from Rockland (not sure who taught them......but that Hoe Down show was superb !!!!!!!)

St. Anthony's from Revere (who later became Quaser and again Erte) (Zingali, then Zingali and finally, Zingali with others)

St. Joseph's Grenadiers from Medford (taught by Jay Murphy and Debbie Torchia)

Blessed Sacrament "Rock with Sac" from Cambridge (taught by Gerry Hickey and Delores Zapala and others)

within a 15 miles radius of Boston, we single handily had the greatest level of winter color guard women - and competitors - in the world. And many of them went on to march with 27th's guard.

And if you expanded that to include all the eastern guards (like the breathtaking Skylarks), the list would be absolutely amazing!

I'd forgotten about Jay Murphy teaching St. Joseph's Grenadiers. That explains the smooth, subtle Blue Devils style!

You're most welcome! I was thrilled when I saw that they'd finally made the earliest years (1979, etc.) available. And it's fast! I ordered on Monday and had the DVD by Thursday afternoon. (And I'm in Canada.) I just ordered a second DVD of what I guess are my "second" choices in terms of guards I want to have on DVD. Between these and the "Fans' Favorites" DVDs I have, this probably completes my collection.

By the way, I should've provided the link: WGI On Demand (Click on the "Click here for details" link to order.)

Thanks for the link Sue. I'm gonna need a second job now!

Thanks for the link Sue. I'm gonna need a second job now!

You're welcome, and sorry, LOL! The nice thing about these DVDs is that at least you can pick your guards, instead of having to buy the full finals of each year. At that rate, I'd have to be making a lot more money than I'm making now!

Also, going back to the discussion about guards (and sorry, I'm sort of on a winter guard tangent right now), does anyone remember Adonis from (I believe) Fitchburg, Mass.? Are they in that 15-mile radius? The show that stands out in my mind, and is on my "On Demand" DVD, is their "Amadeus" show from 1987. My friends and I were such dorks at WGI that year; we saw it was going to be a classical show, complete with period costumes, and we assumed it was going to be boring, so we went downstairs to get something to eat. Big mistake . . . and we could tell right away because the roar from the crowds practically shook the building. We knew we were missing something special, and as soon as I got that year's shows dubbed on videotape, I saw exactly what we missed. Just an incredible show!

Most of my favorite shows from that year were by eastern guards: St. Anthony's Imperiales and Blessed Sacrament, who were well on their way to changing their style into what later became such a "quiet" approach. The "quiet" guards have always been my favorites. That probably started with my love of Santa Clara and then continued on with guards like Holley Hawks, Skylarks and St. Joseph's Grenadiers. It was those complex, multi-layered shows that were every bit as demanding, mentally, as they were physically that really captivated me. Still do!

Edited by byline

Most of my favorite shows from that year were by eastern guards: St. Anthony's Imperiales and Blessed Sacrament, who were well on their way to changing their style into what later became such a "quiet" approach. The "quiet" guards have always been my favorites. That probably started with my love of Santa Clara and then continued on with guards like Holley Hawks, Skylarks and St. Joseph's Grenadiers. It was those complex, multi-layered shows that were every bit as demanding, mentally, as they were physically that really captivated me. Still do!

My wife was captain of St. Pat's (a million years worth) and marched rifle in 27th (81) and then with Sac in 82 - one of the more powerful Rock with Sac shows. A few years later, when Sac went "soft" - it was one of the most dramatic style changes ever.

One of my all time fav shows has to be St. Anthony's Imperials Pippin show (circa 75 or 76?). Those ladies - they were simply perfect. I can see the sabers - with Terry Fitz - tossing them and turning around and catching them behind their backs.

Adonis - another great guard. I think Jay Puchinni was working with them. Fitchburg is slightly beyond that 15 mile radius and regretfully, the only Div I drum corps still around was Boston Crusaders. Rockland, North Star and 27th had already disappeared. When all of those corps were around, everything seemed to be flourishing. It was if each corps was keeping each other alive, but when one had to fold, the others could not survive either.

My wife was captain of St. Pat's (a million years worth) and marched rifle in 27th (81) and then with Sac in 82 - one of the more powerful Rock with Sac shows. A few years later, when Sac went "soft" - it was one of the most dramatic style changes ever. alive, but when one had to fold, the others could not survive either.

Ain't that the truth! They were just as impressive "soft" as they were when they were a power guard. Usually guards can't pull that off convincingly, but they sure did!

One of my all time fav shows has to be St. Anthony's Imperials Pippin show (circa 75 or 76?). Those ladies - they were simply perfect. I can see the sabers - with Terry Fitz - tossing them and turning around and catching them behind their backs.alive, but when one had to fold, the others could not survive either.

I've ordered another DVD with St. Anthony's on it, this one from 1986. They were superb that year, too. But 1987 just really stands out in my mind as one of the all-time great "no props or big tricks, just great writing and performance" shows.

Adonis - another great guard. I think Jay Puchinni was working with them. Fitchburg is slightly beyond that 15 mile radius and regretfully, the only Div I drum corps still around was Boston Crusaders. Rockland, North Star and 27th had already disappeared. When all of those corps were around, everything seemed to be flourishing. It was if each corps was keeping each other alive, but when one had to fold, the others could not survive either.

Thanks for the history lesson. It's a bit sobering and sad, but helps me appreciate that era all the more.

Speaking of performances that blew me away, my husband just installed a new computer with updated software, and now I can finally watch YouTube videos. Finally saw the incredible Madison Scouts alumni performance! I didn't think anyone could come close to what Two-Seven pulled off back in '94 (I think it was), but that Madison performance was something else!

Edited by byline

Since we are talking about WGI On Demand, I sent them an email asking why we can not purchase the 1983 Cavaliers on video.

This is the message I got;

I am very sorry but any unit whose music failed to meet copyright

standards will not be available on WGI ON DEMAND.

Since we are talking about WGI On Demand, I sent them an email asking why we can not purchase the 1983 Cavaliers on video.

This is the message I got;

I am very sorry but any unit whose music failed to meet copyright

standards will not be available on WGI ON DEMAND.

No wonder I couldn't find it.

I thought I was just dumb and couldn't remember what year it was. :doh: