Attention Anti-Ampers

That still doesn't show that DCI has scoring commitment to entertaining an audience. They design a scoring system to reflect what they want, then design a show to be rewarded by the system. Show me in the sheets anywhere it says to add points for general audience entertainment. It doesn't exist. There is a caption called Generel Effect, but that has been shown to really be quite specific effects that have nothing to do with the effect on the general audience. There have been championship shows that have got the polite standing ovation at the end instead of rousing ovations that corps "under" them received, even when the rest of the tecnical prowess has been very, very close.

Actually, as I understand it, GE does indeed include audience communication as part of the caption. It's not the sum total of the caption, but it is a component.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please be more specific. I can't recall any "championship shows" that received only "polite standing ovations" at Finals. Care to name names?
Are we going to argue about what is a polite ovation versus a rousing ovation?

Actually, as I understand it, GE does indeed include audience communication as part of the caption. It's not the sum total of the caption, but it is a component.
And how is that assessed? By the judge who determines how it effects him/her. That judge does not poll or even watch the audience for its reaction, does s/he?

Disagree. A few people is hardly anything that makes a difference up or down as opposed to the totality of the audience nationwide. DCI's move toward attracting the band crowd through marketing and the very nature of the activity, has more than offset the few who leave due to amps. IMO this effort primarily drives the increase in audience nationwide.

I guess I missed something but hasn't DCI been attracting the "band crowd" for years and years? What does using Amps have to do with attracting the band crowd? My HS band was using amps in the early 80's and going to DCI shows as a group then so I don't see the correlation?

I guess I missed something but hasn't DCI been attracting the "band crowd" for years and years? What does using Amps have to do with attracting the band crowd? My HS band was using amps in the early 80's and going to DCI shows as a group then so I don't see the correlation?

The marketing efforts "then" and "now" are far different, IMO. DCI is doing more to drectly attract the band folks to shows. It was a byproduct then; it's a major focus today.

Using amps in and of itself isn't going to do much of anything marketing-wise...no single change will do that..it's the overall direction that is making DCI drum corps "band friendly", of which amps are just one small fragment.

And how is that assessed? By the judge who determines how it effects him/her. That judge does not poll or even watch the audience for its reaction, does s/he?

How do you know WHAT each judge uses to guide his/her reaction? I don't. Maybe someone else here does. In any case, the term "communication" can mean more than raucous cheering. That seems to be the sole criteria for some who post about these sorts of topics. And, it's just part of what makes up a score.

So your opinion is based on nothing other than your opinion.

Fine by me.

Evidently, you didn't even read my post. My perspective on this is backed up by three DCI officials. But by all means, bury your head in the sand until next summer if you like. Attendance should most certainly be up in 2007.

That still doesn't show that DCI has scoring commitment to entertaining an audience. They design a scoring system to reflect what they want, then design a show to be rewarded by the system. Show me in the sheets anywhere it says to add points for general audience entertainment. It doesn't exist. There is a caption called Generel Effect, but that has been shown to really be quite specific effects that have nothing to do with the effect on the general audience. There have been championship shows that have got the polite standing ovation at the end instead of rousing ovations that corps "under" them received, even when the rest of the tecnical prowess has been very, very close.

BTW...I was reading NanciD's great website of old DC News issues, and came across THIS letter to the editor by a person talking about the formation of DCA back in 64...talking about judging at that time (and we think WE are bad!):

...judging is inconsistent, biased, stupid, prejudiced, absurd, erratic, muddled, burlesque, ridiculous, menaingless, inept, and contradictory.

b**bs