Which Legacy Years Should I Buy?

Which Years Should I Buy?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a year from the 80's

2. 2. Pick a year from the 70's

I would actually buy 87 and 80. It seems like you're set on getting one from each decade, but I think those <<< two years are the best from that whole era.

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad thing about the 1981 Legacy DVD is, it is not from finals but from DCI MidWest.

Placement was different and Sky Ryders didn't make finals. Not only that, but many, many changes were made for finals by a lot of corps.

I do have a prelims DVD of 1981 as well as finals (of Crossmen only) that our staff made.

Too bad DCI couldn't work out the legal details for filming my age-out year. :blush:

1979 and 1987.

1987 especially...SCV, Garfield....the entire Top 12 was hot that year.

That's what I voted.

1979 and 1987.

1987 especially...SCV, Garfield....the entire Top 12 was hot that year.

i agree 100%...not clunkers in 87.

79...some awesome shows there too, and a lot of Mangione and Birdland :P

The mid-late 80's are notable for outstanding seasons by Sky Ryders, Suncoast Sound, Freelancers, Troopers, and other corps now gone...different corps reaching their zenith in different years.

Sure, in 1987 we watched Cadets battle SCV at DCI East and knew SCV was maxed out and Cadets would catch them in the closing weeks--that was obvious, however the rest of the top 12 was not as solidly entertaining as 1982:

For pure listening entertainment, I have never heard a Top 12 TOP TO BOTTOM SOLID and entertaining as 1982.

The BD blew away all the competition with what I consider the last of their truly great to listen to jazz shows! Though they were hot in 1984 with La Fiesta Mexicana, I never could really understand or get into anything they played after 1984.

An entertaining SCV in 2nd

A wonderful show from the rising Garfield Cadets (3rd place), very interesting music--Rocky Point Holiday--sounds just like the later outstanding Garfield Corps. Forgotten today, 1982 was the beginning of the marching revolution--by 1984 all the high schools were following Garfield's new "flow" concepts.

All the way on down:

An outstanding 27th Lancers: Niner Two and Danny Boy among others!

Crossmen--EERIE sounding hornline playing some of the best ever arrangements of Shoshanna, Canto Del Viejo, and Russian Christmas music--in parts of the show the eerie sounding hornline still gives me chills for all the RIGHT reasons!

Madison Scouts--Strawberry Soup

Bridgemen--one of the most exciting drum lines I ever heard

Sky Ryders--La Virgen De Macarena/Come in from the Rain/Somewhere Over the Rainbow--perhaps the most classic and entertaining Sky Ryders show ever.

Spirit of Atlanta, Freelancers--just great music though all these years later the tune names escape me.

Every single corps of that top 12 offered something enjoyable about their show.

My 2c.

John

82 was great musically, but even for the visual of that time it seemed dull

for only $399, why not splurge and get the whole set? i've been waiting for a while, but i think it's finally that time.

wow. and to think i paid a grand

There's a certain warped satisfaction you get when you finally have the whole thing end to end in your media cabinet.

...now, if they'd only release 13-24 the same way...

dont tease me

1987 seems like a popular choice. Lotta votes for 1979, but I'm not familiar with hardly any shows from that year. Anyone care to explain that choice?

Actually La Fiesta Mexicana is a different chart (by Owen Reed)....we played La Fiesta by maynard Ferguson....but thanks for the props!

Oops, I typed incorrectly and stand corrected.

Though I believe actually the '84 Blue Crew basically played Maynard Ferguson's arrangement of La Fiesta, originally written by Chick Corea.

I did love the '84 Blue Devils almost as much as '82, and always will.

John

Edited by John Mock

79...BD...cool jazz...Free, Los Suertos, just pure old school BD

Phantom....Elsa's, organ symphony, Malambo

SCV...vastly under rated show...Verdi's Requiem, Adagio and Lehzghinka from Gayne Ballet, and the surprise Bottle Dance

Spirit....man, you could see where 80 was coming from...old man river, Sweet georgia, let it be me

27th...the warm up version of 1980

Bridgemen....a classic. the civil war and the andrews sisters

Guardsmen best year ever...tiger of san pedro, greensleeves...what a hornline

Madison and Bohemian Rhapsody

North Star.the chrome wall

Blue Stars last appearance to date in open finals

CAvies starting the climb back up...watch that guard

and the Troopers.

man if it only had Crossmen on it