:doh:

FWIW, that season will always be special to many of us in MBI. It was our 40th Anniversary, and we had just put together a cross-over show from a visual standpoint. Our first half of the show was symmetrical, the 2nd half was asymmetrical. We actually had a pretty decent drum line (for us) and had a lot of Midwest DCI people in our corner that year. Besides, nobody else could have sold Sesame Street..that was a great crowd pleaser.

Of course, the feeling that went through us after Prelims when our corps director came back from the judges table with that big s**t-eating grin on his his face told us we had finally done it, we had made the top 10!!!!

Just going on the field for Finale was as good as it gets..We got to pull in next to Bush, and watch with them as the scores kept getting announced...I felt a little torn between Bush and Steel that night, both had great shows, and I wouldn't have been able to tell who won..I guess because we had been competing against Steel for a few years, that made me pull for them, but being next to Bush at the end was really something special.

The capper was provided by Mickey Petrone(RIP) when he had everybody else leave the field until there were 3..the newest 3 corps in DCA..A big honor for us, and both Bush and Steel gave us big ovations as we left the field. One heck of a close to a great season!

Pat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STEEL!

...I just got a Joe Natale flashback........ :sshh:

Yeah Dave,

I haven't even looked at the recap that you still have at your house from 86 Finals the last few times I've been at your house.

1986 was a great season for DCA. Two "New Kids" in 1st and 2nd, just edging out the Cabs in one of their stronger eras (84-86). It was cool to be a part of it.

yeah that was a pretty sweet run 82 4th 83 2nd 84 1st 85 1st 86 3rd 87 2nd..... 86 was a great championship show Cabs and Steel tied for first in Prelims Bush takes the title at night. First time the Prelim winner didn't take finals as I recall everything changed from there on out... LOL

86 was a great season....tons of quality from top to bottom.

I still say 86 Sun is under rated

---------------

Jeff:

thank you so much. 86 was a tough year for Sun - didn't fill out the corps untill late in the season (too late really), trying something - a little different to say the least ( if Im not mistaken, first fully thematic show in DCA!). Musically, with brass charts arranged by Jim Prime, percussion arranged by Dave China, how could you go wrong??? Visually...if only we had had three more weeks..... lol :lookaround:

This thread got me to thinking. Having been through 30 DCA retreats, 1986 was probably the longest reatreat in DCA history. If memory serves, every award that could given out was given out that night. Does anyone else agree with that?

I vaguely remember some delay that night - maybe a delay waiting for the scores to be run up to the booth, but no, there weren't a lot of awards that i can remember. I *thought* that was the first year they awarded the showmanship award, but I think that would have been the only extra award out of the typical awards of the day.

But that was also in the era when all corps played themselves off after the scores. There may have been some delay then - maybe confusion over who was leaving next?

At least, that is in comparison to what I remember then and two years ago when I came back to march, when everyone and everything was getting an award. And we didnt get to play ourselves off, either - I thought/think that sucks big time !

That was a 2 pack of Parliments retreat. Gary A, Bob McCarthy and myself suckin them down like candy.

Back then judges were not afraid to put spreads down. We knew we could get a drum spread but when they announced

Bush with high brass we knew we had shot and proceeded into heart attack mode.

The first time is always the sweetest.

If my memory serves me correctly, they announced corps scores 11 (yes, 11th place, there was a tie) thru 6, stopped and gave the caption awards, and then concluded with corps scores 5 thru 1. I also remember it being cold enough you could see your breath. The announcement of scores did not finish until after midnight and then all corps played themselves off. It is a shame corps do not play themselves off the field anymore. It really is part of the show and what the paying customer wants to see.

Wonderful night and great memories. Jim, I can picture the three of you smoking like chimneys. If you thought taking High Horns got your blood going, you can imagine what it did to me at retreat! And I couldn't smoke or walk around or do anything!

Thanks to all for their comments. Everyone should have their own "1986" in their drum corps career. See 'ya Frank and Jim!

John Gough

Bush 1981- 86

Bush DM 1986

Bush Alumni forever

This thread got me to thinking. Having been through 30 DCA retreats, 1986 was probably the longest reatreat in DCA history. If memory serves, every award that could given out was given out that night. Does anyone else agree with that?

i dunno, the last few years in Scranton could have been longer....not counting all of Fran's bad jokes :P

If my memory serves me correctly, they announced corps scores 11 (yes, 11th place, there was a tie) thru 6, stopped and gave the caption awards, and then concluded with corps scores 5 thru 1. I also remember it being cold enough you could see your breath. The announcement of scores did not finish until after midnight and then all corps played themselves off. It is a shame corps do not play themselves off the field anymore. It really is part of the show and what the paying customer wants to see.

Wonderful night and great memories. Jim, I can picture the three of you smoking like chimneys. If you thought taking High Horns got your blood going, you can imagine what it did to me at retreat! And I couldn't smoke or walk around or do anything!

Thanks to all for their comments. Everyone should have their own "1986" in their drum corps career. See 'ya Frank and Jim!

John Gough

Bush 1981- 86

Bush DM 1986

Bush Alumni forever

the only tie at prelims was Steel and Cabs for 1st. Matadors were allowed in because their color guard was undefeated.

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 89.650

1 Steel City Ambassadors 89.650

3 Bushwackers 88.700

4 Reading Buccaneers 88.250

5 Long Island Sunrisers 86.250

6 Rochester Crusaders 83.500

7 New York Skyliners 82.950

8 Empire Statesmen 77.250

9 Minnesota Brass, Inc. 77.000

10 Guelph Royalaires 75.350

11 Rhode Island Matadors 74.800

12 Connecticut Hurricanes 73.400