Cadets

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally, I thought I just want to check out the Cadets. Reading this, however, makes me want to full on try out! Omg, I want to play this.....so badly......sorry, just expressing myself :doh: b**bs

"We are going to work this show around our kids," Hopkins told a group of supporters and benefactors Sunday morning prior to the 2006 banquet. "Drum corps is life altering for kids. If those people in the stands really knew it was about kids, they wouldn't "boo" at the end of a show," Hopkins said, referring to fan reaction to the corps' 2006 program.

Don't you get it yet, George? The booing wasn't directed at the corps members.

If this show delivers like what's been described so far, the boo birds will go away. Just don't muck it up.

Garry

Reminds me of Westfield 2003.

"We are the woodwinds..."

So your one of many who have made a comment like this.. No where does it say anywhere that vocals would be used it that sense. no where has it been said that the cadets will say we are the ______

Since you obviously werent at the camp, why dont you just wait till the summer and then you can tell us all what it reminds you of.

and Im going to guess your not going to hear " We are the (Insert section)"

If this show delivers like what's been described so far, the boo birds will go away. Just don't muck it up.

Garry

Mr Garry,

Youve just proven the point for those of us who say NOBODY should be boo-ing during the show!

If its "not directed to the corps members" , why are you (they) doing it in thier direction, during a show that they are performing? if its not meant for the kids on th field, then dont do it to the kids on the field! simple enough.

But i think that problem will go away this year anyway.

Tony

Mr Garry,

Youve just proven the point for those of us who say NOBODY should be boo-ing during the show!

If its "not directed to the corps members" , why are you (they) doing it in thier direction, during a show that they are performing? if its not meant for the kids on th field, then dont do it to the kids on the field! simple enough.

But i think that problem will go away this year anyway.

Tony

Read into it what you will, Tony. The point I was making was that the booing is directed at the design of the show, not the marching members. Where are they supposed to express their opinion, at a Cadets' staff meeting?

FWIW, I hope it goes away, too. Give the fans a show that doesn't require interpretation. Impress me with butt-kicking peformance, not esoteric "meaning" dreamt up over a couple of bowlfuls.

Garry

Garry

While booing was unacceptable...you make a great point. It was almost like he is not taking any credit for last year and is buffering himself by pulling the "it's about the kids card" into this one...recall how the blame went to the judging community during the summer?

Risks should certainly be taken for success, but with care....AND not at the expense of talented and dedicated corps members and a legacy found in a historic institution such as the Cadets. This year seems to be an attempt to patch up the ego trip found in the Cadets 2006 show design...NOT THE MEMBER'S PERFORMANCE!

If you micro-manage the product on the field and dictate the vision for the rest of the activity, don't shield one's self from the credit when it goes awry. If the design of 2006 was really supposed to be a statement of how drum corps should be...then stick with it and see it through...don't "take a step back"! Show the community credibility and not instability

$.02

So your one of many who have made a comment like this.. No where does it say anywhere that vocals would be used it that sense. no where has it been said that the cadets will say we are the ______

Since you obviously werent at the camp, why dont you just wait till the summer and then you can tell us all what it reminds you of.

and Im going to guess your not going to hear " We are the (Insert section)"

Calm down. He didn't claim that they are or aren't doing anything. The show concept *is* reminiscent of a couple well-known marching band productions from recent history (Kennesaw a '04 also...). You will just have to accept that, because it is true. It is not a bad thing, and I am looking forward to Cadets being the Cadets again next summer...

M