Esperanza?

Can anybody connect to the Esperanza web site? I get a server not found error.

:(

http://www.esperanzacorps.org/ "Page cannot be displayed"..... :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too now - probably just off-line for maintenance

Site loaded right away for me.

Seems to me that at one time the "activity" supported many healthy corps.

People like to THINK that all of those corps that once existed back in the day WERE "healthy". The reality is, NO they weren't. I know this personally because the first corps I marched in was not healthy. That's why they are no longer around. The DIFFERENCE today is, DCI has a very high set of standards for who they will allow to tour based on their business plan. This is actually a GOOD thing because parents can now send their kids on the road, knowing that they will be fed and well taken care of. The truth is, in the past, that was not always the case. Sure, there was at one time over 100 corps competing in DCI. The problem was, most of them were not taking care of business or their kids. Thus, they were NOT "healthy".

I think DCI is doing a great job of making sure that corps are taken care of and not biting off more than they can chew. It's better for a corps to take a year off or call it quits than for a kid's well being to be at risk. It has nothing to do with "Hopkin's model" or DCI "not wanting more corps to exist". I promise you, DCI would LOVE to have more corps on the field competing. The reason they don't is because they are a professionally run business with people who are smart enough to know that the business side of the activity must come before sentiment. That of course is a hard thing to swallow (for me as well) knowing that "sentiment" is a large part of what drives this activity. But whether we like it or not, it's the truth.

Edited by torn8o

People like to THINK that all of those corps that once existed back in the day WERE "healthy". The reality is, NO they weren't. I know this personally because the first corps I marched in was not healthy. That's why they are no longer around. The DIFFERENCE today is, DCI has a very high set of standards for who they will allow to tour based on their business plan. This is actually a GOOD thing because parents can now send their kids on the road, knowing that they will be fed and well taken care of. The truth is, in the past, that was not always the case. Sure, there was at one time over 100 corps competing in DCI. The problem was, most of them were not taking care of business or their kids. Thus, they were NOT "healthy".

I think DCI is doing a great job of making sure that corps are taken care of and not biting off more than they can chew. It's better for a corps to take a year off or call it quits than for a kid's well being to be at risk. It has nothing to do with "Hopkin's model" or DCI "not wanting more corps to exist". I promise you, DCI would LOVE to have more corps on the field competing. The reason they don't is because they are a professionally run business with people who are smart enough to know that the business side of the activity must come before sentiment. That of course is a hard thing to swallow (for me as well) knowing that "sentiment" is a large part of what drives this activity. But whether we like it or not, it's the truth.

Very well put.

Bravo Torn8o. Bravo. You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

I have a question....how does DCI do financially? Do they struggle when corps struggle.....because a good way of saving money could be having dinner be fed by the shows.....saves one meal a day, so about $600. You have 30 shows and that saves about 18.000 dollars (I did not count regionals) Seems to me that is a good way of saving some corps money....of course it would cost the show site a lot of money, but maybe they only pick one smaller corps per show to do it for....

just an idea.

DCI is in good financial health. However, their job is to sanction the show circiut. They have adopted some oversight of the member corps, but it is they cannot force a corps or it's managment to be professional, well run, or good at PR. All they can do is hold the corps to a standard to be on the tour.

I would seem to me that the Esparanza organization is having difficulties, as did Magic and CR. I hope they are able to correct them and field a corps..the right way!