Longest Active Drum corps in Div II and III

Some interesting reading on all these corps on corpsreps.com. It does say there of Dutch Boy that "The corps was inactive from 1994 through 1997." I have no idea what may be true ...

The "Dutch Boy" corps we know from division I competition in the late 1980s/early 1990s folded after the 1993 season. However, their feeder corps, the Cadets of Dutch Boy, had been competing in lower divisions for a number of years, and continued to do so each year since, eventually taking the name "Dutch Boy". They're the corps we see today.

A similar passing of the torch took place in the late 1970s. When the Northstars disbanded (sending their members to the Guelph Royalaires for their 1979 campaign), their feeder corps ("Dutch Boy Cadets") continued on, renaming themselves "Dutch Boy" in 1980. They grew in experience and competitive ability quickly, winning DCI's class A title in 1982, making top-25 for the first time in '83, and becoming....well, that brings us back to where I started this post.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Racine Scouts have fielded a corps every year since 1927. I have seen them

in the Racine Memorial Day parade and the Racine 4th of July parade every year since 1960.

Again, that doesn't mean they fielded a corps every year. There appear to have been several seasons in both the 1970s and 1980s where the Racine Scouts did not appear in field competition.

As for being continuously "active", looks like they have the #1 spot there among the junior corps.

Again, that doesn't mean they fielded a corps every year. There appear to have been several seasons in both the 1970s and 1980s where the Racine Scouts did not appear in field competition.

As for being continuously "active", looks like they have the #1 spot there among the junior corps.

On the field or off just being around for so long should be honor without comment

I can have this confirmed later today. But I'm sure the corps didn't compete from late 70's to early 80's. But they were still around doing parades and exhibitions. The corps started competing again in 88-89? Still more than any other corps. And have been to DCI every year since. I might be wrong, I believe they didn't go to finals on year... either 93 or 94. Or there's just no records of it. But I know some of the members that marched those years, so I'll have that confirmed too.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to the list of corps that are long in the tooth:

The Govenaires of St. Peter, MN. They're a Class A corps in DCA (ie, the all-age equivalent of Div II/III). And they were founded in 1927... A mere month after the Racine Scouts.

Also, the oldest drum & bugle corps around doesn't compete in DCI or DCA. It's the U.S. Naval Academy Drum & Bugle Corps, founded in 1914. And they do compete, but I believe it's just with musical groups from other military branches.

I know this is a little useless, but the Freelancers have been around in some form since 1933.