Awwwwww JEEZ...Yamato Goes Inactive

Yep. Saw it mentioned in the form of a question up on World of Pageantry but the post had no links or anything. I was about to rip a new one on the poster for posting hearsay-but then I thought I better check it out. Don't think it's been announced up here (if it has and I'm missing it--sorry--I'm old and tired). VERY disappointing news out of southern California...

www.yamatocorps.org

I hope my friend Eddie-San and company can get things figured out.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've seen historically that this doesn't always work out for the best (Capital Sound, Phantom Legion), but what if some II/III's tried to get together with some Div I's...ala BDB, SCVC, Colt Cadets, might that help some of these groups stay around longer?

What corps wants to be the redheaded stepchild to a larger, better corps? It's a different thing when a Div II corps comes out of a organization, i.e. BDB, SCVC, but no one wants to sacrifice their independence. A proposal to set up an organization made up of Cascades, OC, and Spokane Thunder in the northwest ended up a mess, with a lot of really nasty politics and bad feelings floating around. There was a point where no one knew who was working for who anymore. It looks like OC got the worst of it, but we won't really know that for a while.

The really struggling Div IIIs might take the opportunity to cling to a Top 12 corps for stability, especially in areas where 300 people are auditioning for one Div I corps... where are the kids who don't make it going?

Sad as it is to think it, I do believe Div. II/IIIs days are numbered. The financial support has not been there from DCI and it continues to cost more and more each year for a II/III corps to continue competing nationally. Big tryout numbers at the Div. I level aren't necessarily translating into more tryouts in Div. II/III.

I see the main problems are as follows.

1. Costs for national touring continue to escalate.

2. Fundraising for non-profits are seldom managed successfully by amateurs or voluteers.

3. Many young people either want to make the Div. I corps (perhaps a choice of a couple at most) or they would rather work for the summer or take classes if they don't make it.

4. Many potential members never consider marching for a Div. II/III corps as a stepping stone to Div. I.

5. Member costs for Div. II/III corps are almost identical to member fees for Div. I corps.

The ways to break this current cycle would involve radical rethinking from the current model. Are the existing corps uncomfortable enough with the current model to make drastic changes?

I would be proposing...

1. Severing formal ties with DCI.

2. The use of regional circuits instead of national tours. Perhaps develop one national event for all corps to attend.

3. More professionally managed fundraising efforts. Not just setting up bingo and hoping people volunteer to work and hoping a crowd will show up.

4. More local community involvement and exposure. Don't spend the entire summer away from home.

5. Introducing a more realistic set of successful parameters to members, staff, parents, volunteers and fans.

6. More local parades, concerts, exhibitions.

7. More emphasis on teaching, development, less on competition.

How are things with SCVC any how. I have heard things that dont seem right..

Severing ties with DCI

I remember talking with someone about Drum Corps Nation tring to get Div II/III to do this. Is this still happening?

Edited by dcf06

Sad as it is to think it, I do believe Div. II/IIIs days are numbered. The financial support has not been there from DCI and it continues to cost more and more each year for a II/III corps to continue competing nationally. Big tryout numbers at the Div. I level aren't necessarily translating into more tryouts in Div. II/III.

I see the main problems are as follows.

1. Costs for national touring continue to escalate.

2. Fundraising for non-profits are seldom managed successfully by amateurs or voluteers.

3. Many young people either want to make the Div. I corps (perhaps a choice of a couple at most) or they would rather work for the summer or take classes if they don't make it.

4. Many potential members never consider marching for a Div. II/III corps as a stepping stone to Div. I.

5. Member costs for Div. II/III corps are almost identical to member fees for Div. I corps.

The ways to break this current cycle would involve radical rethinking from the current model. Are the existing corps uncomfortable enough with the current model to make drastic changes?

I would be proposing...

1. Severing formal ties with DCI.

2. The use of regional circuits instead of national tours. Perhaps develop one national event for all corps to attend.

3. More professionally managed fundraising efforts. Not just setting up bingo and hoping people volunteer to work and hoping a crowd will show up.

4. More local community involvement and exposure. Don't spend the entire summer away from home.

5. Introducing a more realistic set of successful parameters to members, staff, parents, volunteers and fans.

6. More local parades, concerts, exhibitions.

7. More emphasis on teaching, development, less on competition.

You make some great points, as a former member of a division II corps (back then we called them A-60 corps) I had dreams of marching with one of the big guys. It never happened but I felt that I gained valuable experance touring with a div II corps and had a great time. This was during the late 70 - early 80's and the cost was almost nothing. I could have never spent over $1000 for the summer. Local parades, concerts and exhibitions are a great idea, drum corps used to be about community, if they are local and can get local sponcers, they have a better chance to survive.

A became Division II.

A60 became Division III.