Awwwwww JEEZ...Yamato Goes Inactive

But, VFW and AL are evil....no sarcasm intended at all.

VFW became an elitist organization during the late 60s and 70s because of the antiwar bent of many returning Viet Nam era vets who were NEVER welcomed into the fold by the WWII vets. That's when VFW began its demise. Now VFWs are closing all around the country because they lack veterans as members (death will do that to you).

Funny, my father is a Vietnam vet and is a member of the VFW Norco, CA Branch and has been since before I was born. He helps out with their bingo games on Thursday nights now :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not technically. They were billed as being based out of California and Japan with a percentage of their membership coming from each area. I know they actively recruited in California, probably in Japan as well. What a shame.

They filed for and won a 501c3 status in the state of CA in 1999 after DCI had awarded them the International Division award in 1998. Therefore, they were a California corps. I understand where the members came from as I was one of the people trying to recruit for the corps at one time or another. In 1997, when the corps first took the field, they were supposed to be a strictly Japanese corps, but there weren't enough Japanese members to make the 30 person requirement, so the corps (with the help of administration from Riverside Community College) asked that members be recruited to fill the numbers. It was never the corps original idea to put together a bi-cultural group that Yamato became... it just sort of became it on accident. When I came on board and took over the web site, I made sure that the mission statement on the site included wordings related to an international experience, bi-culturalism, etc... That's the Yamato I wanted to see grow and expand.

...sigh...

I'll be working at the WCC event in Kyoto in February and should know or have an idea of what is to become of the corps then.

Funny, my father is a Vietnam vet and is a member of the VFW Norco, CA Branch and has been since before I was born. He helps out with their bingo games on Thursday nights now :)

Eddie:

Thanks for responding. Then your father is a unique position to provide you with national statistics to back up my claim. If he were to compare VFW membership from the era of the 1950s and chart it for every decade since, I think you'd quickly realize the national trend I am talking about. It's terrific that your dad is involved in VFW if it suits him. I will tell you that post Viet Nam, huge drop offs occured in membership and when women joined the frontline military in a larger way in the late 80s/early 90s, there attendance has never grown or evolved in VFW.

Honestly Tom, it's not something that really concerns me, and I don't think it concerns him all that much either. But hey, he's enjoying himself at least, and for that I applaud him.

Intersting to see that DCI has not even posted anything about this in over a week. Just goes to show you how much they actually care about losing another Div 2 / 3 corps.

Intersting to see that DCI has not even posted anything about this in over a week. Just goes to show you how much they actually care about losing another Div 2 / 3 corps.

dude, DCI has nothing to do with this and can't do anything about it. This evolved over years of bad administration practices and bad money handling, neither of which DCI was involved with. Members of the corps didn't even find out officially until 2 weeks AFTER it was announced in Japan, and a month AFTER the instructional staff and show coordinators were told... I didn't even know until it started to leak outside Japan. The bad guys aren't the ones in Addison... sorry bro.

I was not saying that DCI caused them to go inactive. What I was saying is that when a Div. 1 corps goes inactive it is on the front page of the DCI website. This has not even been mentioned and it is public knowlege.

The release has to be sent to DCI by the corps before it is put up, they don't go and search every single corps website or DCP thread for news...

I was not saying that DCI caused them to go inactive. What I was saying is that when a Div. 1 corps goes inactive it is on the front page of the DCI website. This has not even been mentioned and it is public knowlege.

I don't know what's going on between the two groups as far as discussion goes, so I don't know what's going on there. However, the announcement is on yamato's website for public viewing.