Corps fees rundown

for starters, BD has 28 shows, plus semis and finals. (and family day!)

secondly, my cost for devils was 1400 tuition, 100 for registration.

i am sharing housing for camps, at approx 30/night for 15 approx nights is 450 dollars. could be less if i get in touch with my family that live in the area.

for housing for all days, for me starting june sixth, ten nights, at approx 30 per night is another 300. enter in my aunts house again...

and for airfare at approx 180 per round trip ticket times seven trips (i am driving down for all days) is 1260 approx.

all in all this comes out to about 3600 provided i eat for almost free.

but i believe the topic was supposed to be about tour fees, and those are instituted by the corps and mine are 1400

(see my signature)

Edited by saxmanjames7

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I started putting together a spreadsheet regarding this topic. This information comes from the corps websites and is not complete, so anyone that has any more info, please post.

Some corps have not finalized their summer fees, so some are approximate amounts. Others have discounts for years of service. Also, some have discounts for paying fees early.

Also listed is the number of shows each corps is currently slated to attend this summer according to DCI.

Blue Stars: Summer-$1700-$2100, Camp Fee-$75.00, Shows-35

Blue Stars camp fees are applied to the total summer fee once you are contracted. This one fee includes everything: registration, camps, spring training, shoes, buckles, etc., etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The two kids I housed last year, I am working Bingo for them every week which should bring their fees down about $500 each and they get $300-400 off each for being vets as well. I plan on paying the remaining amount out of my pocket for them which I think is around $1800. They are not aware of this yet, but I hope to make this summer a memorable one for them. And I refuse to take any money from them for the three weeks they stay with me. Just my way of trying to give back to drum corps and a couple of kids I had never met before until last year who turned out to be the greatest people you can imagine. As far as spending money and transportation, they are on their own.

My first summer was $600 and I had $200 in spending money.

My second summer was (I think) $1,200 and I had $150 in spending money

My third summer was $1,500 and I had $150 in spending money

This summer will likely cost me at or fairly close to $2,000

That $600 I spent on fees my first summer is now looking like it was a GREAT deal...

• 2 months later...
This was something I started to do while in a lull in classes. Sifting through each site for what info I was able to post was fairly time consuming. Here's hoping others can take this and work from it. Also, some corps charge a camp fee for only some of the camps. For example, I believe Mandarins only charge a camp fee until accepted as a member.

Pioneer has 6 camps at $30=$180 for camps, $1200 for summer, $60 Audition fee and $125 for uniform stuff. Total to march would be $1565. This does not include the $50 equipment deposit or any credits for recruitment, bingo, etc..

So far we have:

Troopers-$1,480

Pioneer-$1,565

Bluecoats-$1,710

(These are, I believe, the three "least expensive" corps to march this summer, based on the figures available so far.)

Just to clarify, Bluecoats fees for veterans are $1,610 and $1,710 for rookies.

Spending your summer rehearsing 12-hour days, sleeping on gym floors, riding on buses with 45 other sweaty people, eating mass-prepared stuff, scrambling for a plug to recharge your cell phone: Priceless!!

Anybody contact Mastercard yet??

These rates are amazing--it cost in excess of $2500 to do Phantom over 10 years ago including a couple airline tickets from Texas!

I cant believe how much corps fees have skyrocketed. Are fees increasing faster than the rate of inflation!?

I can honestly say that I could NOT afford to march jr. corps now which is a shame because I consider it an important part of who I am today.

One thing I think corps fans need to realize is that there are other activities out there that can be just as fulfilling as marching a summer of corps. Is $2k a steal for a summer of traveling, food and instruction? Maybe...but you can do a lot of things for $2000~$3000.

If I had to chose between marching corps for a summer and backpacking through Europe for a month (with careful planning...you can do that for $2000)...I would probably choose the latter.

I'm worried that these rising tour fees might turn kids to other summer activities.

I cant believe how much corps fees have skyrocketed. Are fees increasing faster than the rate of inflation!?

I can honestly say that I could NOT afford to march jr. corps now which is a shame because I consider it an important part of who I am today.

One thing I think corps fans need to realize is that there are other activities out there that can be just as fulfilling as marching a summer of corps. Is $2k a steal for a summer of traveling, food and instruction? Maybe...but you can do a lot of things for $2000~$3000.

If I had to chose between marching corps for a summer and backpacking through Europe for a month (with careful planning...you can do that for $2000)...I would probably choose the latter.

I'm worried that these rising tour fees might turn kids to other summer activities.

I think it might turn off a few more from trying corps. But those have marched would know that the money is worth it down to the last cent.

But thats just it...

I'm trying to view our activity without the DCI-colored glasses on and...while I think the values and experiences you get from marching are priceless...

...with rising tour fees...its hard to say there are arent other activities that can give you something just as meaningful for less [money].

Thats a hard idea to swallow for many.

Edited by shostahoosier