2006 Is Coming To A Close

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, huh? What makes you think that I'm not in college myself? Also, I was in no way paying any sort of disrespect to Hrothgar, just making a little funny is all. You may recall that he missed meeting Hopkins because of a school trip not too long ago?

I don't recall that. I don't remember most of what happens here. I just read quickly through stuff, spread my wrath and go practice.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here, because you hint at a few conflicting sentiments, but that's fine.

In any case, it's just love. A whole lotta love.

It means I know what to expect from you. That's all.

But how much they've won IS new. In this activity.

2000's for the Cavaliers > 80's for Garfield.

It's a big deal. A bigger deal, I think, than a fifth place show that nobody liked.

As is Bluecoats being the first new corps in the top 4 since Star.

I think you're putting yourself in your own syllogism here.

You realize if the Cavaliers win another title, the fun is going to be guessing next year's finals placement is Who Gets Silver?

Put in another perspective, once the Cavies overtook BD, it got predictable. If it's anything I see for, "Next year's finals placement", Cavaliers probably most frequently placed with a gold medal. Not to put any corps down, but isn't this is the 5th title in 7 years? If the Cavies win next year, I guarantee that the attention will shift to whatever is happening in the bottom. Say in 20 years the Cavaliers win 19 times, DCP will be flooded about that one corps that broke the streak. Is winning another title that much of a difference?

Yes it will be a big deal, once that streak is ended. The Cavaliers' dynasty will be much more appreciated whenever the dynasty ends. Makes it seem legendary posthumously.

I just want to put in perspective that the Cavaliers aren't getting anywhere near the attention of the extremely disliked Cadet show. Had Blue Devils won again instead, the attention would still be at the Cadets. Positive or Negative, we're measuring a value of magnitude of something different.

Loving that corps is great and all, I loved their show this year, but try not to skew everything around.

I think you're putting yourself in your own syllogism here.

You realize if the Cavaliers win another title, the fun is going to be guessing next year's finals placement is Who Gets Silver?

Put in another perspective, once the Cavies overtook BD, it got predictable. If it's anything I see for, "Next year's finals placement", Cavaliers probably most frequently placed with a gold medal. Not to put any corps down, but isn't this is the 5th title in 7 years? If the Cavies win next year, I guarantee that the attention will shift to whatever is happening in the bottom. Say in 20 years the Cavaliers win 19 times, DCP will be flooded about that one corps that broke the streak. Is winning another title that much of a difference?

Yes it will be a big deal, once that streak is ended. The Cavaliers' dynasty will be much more appreciated whenever the dynasty ends. Makes it seem legendary posthumously.

I just want to put in perspective that the Cavaliers aren't getting anywhere near the attention of the extremely disliked Cadet show. Had Blue Devils won again instead, the attention would still be at the Cadets. Positive or Negative, we're measuring a value of magnitude of something different.

Loving that corps is great and all, I loved their show this year, but try not to skew everything around.

I guess. You make some valid points. Here's another perspective to think about.

Anyone remember the crowd reaction to The Cavaliers, Phantom, Blue Devils, or Bluecoats at major events, regionals, finals?

How about the Cadets?

It's not all about who's getting talked about on DCP, or which show unsuccessfully tried to push the envelope the most . . .

I have three votes:

1. The Cadets show. This show will be talked about in 10 years. Maybe not in the way that we speak of Star 1993, but it will still be talked about. Just you wait and see.

2. The move to Indianapolis. That definitely made a big impression on the future, I'd say.

3. I may be in the minority here, but number 3 goes to that little drum corps from Carolina. After their shows of the past few years, the fan reaction to their 8th place trophy, and the announcement of Lee Beddis, Carolina Crown has me wishing I could march again.

Edited by Room_101

I guess. You make some valid points. Here's another perspective to think about.

Anyone remember the crowd reaction to The Cavaliers, Phantom, Blue Devils, or Bluecoats at major events, regionals, finals?

How about the Cadets?

I see where you're going at but you're on a different topic. Crowd Favorability vs. Attention are quite different. Attention can be either positive or negative, while Crowd Favorability only measures how much the audience responds to positive aspects. I said that the Cadets' show had the most attention, not the most love.

Cadets' show? Maybe not towards the end, but there was certainly a good deal crowd reaction/cheering after some of the percussion feature and the release at the end of the ballad.

There's no such thing as absolute hatred towards something, absolute dominance, definite love, a sole method to tuning, absolute correct technique, only one true approach to playing, the best method of marching, the absolute only most simplest whatever... etc...

This activity is not about one corps, one technique, one section, one region, one event, one person

Yes, then that means 2006 Cadets wasn't absolutely disliked by all.

Grab out your DVD's folks, check out the good amount of cheering in 2006 Cadets. Just because it wasn't at the end doesn't mean people didn't clap and cheer somewhere from beginning to end.

It's not all about who's getting talked about on DCP, or which show unsuccessfully tried to push the envelope the most . . .

Okay, this is an attack right there. You're stating that this show unsuccessfully tried to push the envelope when you haven't seen 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 repretoires. Back in the 1980s, people at times stated that What Garfield was doing wasn't drum corps. What they did brought the activity into a whole new realm. Same thing's happening in 2006. Maybe it's a different reaction, but eitherway they're making change and attention.

I did not enjoy 2006 Cadets, but maybe you should try to take a look at that show. I'm sure you know I'm a fan of analyzing the design of shows past my personal enjoyment for it.

If I asked you what the 2006 Cadets did to push the envelope, and the first few words that you state are "singing, amplification, narration". I'll say: Wrong Drum Corps in 2004 pioneered these things even before The Cadets did. So Cadets really didn't do anything new??? So were they even trying to push the envelope or rehash things that have already been done?

So, how did they push the envelope? I'll give you a hint. Watch the high cam, and tell me how many areas of focus can you devote your attention to simultaneously? Find me a show pre 2006 that utilized multiple and simultaneous staging points to a degree that 2006 Cadets did, and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

That is pushing the envelope. Whether you liked that show or not, you are setting yourself up for failure if you assumed that 2006 Cadets tried to push the envelope with a singer and narration. That's just the tip of a massive iceberg my friend, look beneath the surface which annoyed so many people. The design of that show is very unique. Not my favorite, but it is very very very unique. Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if another corps messed around with that idea of multiple and simultaenous staging without singing or narration.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam