Corps uniforms

I don't know. That is why I posed the question. I look at the bland grey "color"guard, and the bland black unius with .10 hats and think that there is HUGE room for improvement. I have been off work for 6 weeks following a surgery and during that time I watched the entire 90s Legacy collection. In those years the Crossmen unis had some spark, now I can't find that spark, and at the same rate, can't find the Crossmen in the top12 :drool: . General effect to me involves more than a calculated "signature" move. It involves the corps in their entirety. If unis don't mean anything, then WHY spend 100,000 on them? Just wear a white shirt and black pants, the judges won't notice, will they?

Maybe that's because Crossmen has just been dirty and their show design hasn't been up to par, so corps ahead of them that are better slipped ahead? Yeah, that sounds more like it to me. Besides, I'm not about to question a way corps that I'm not even a part of runs itself. Crossmen know how to take care of themselves.

I don't think uniforms can consciously cost a corps GE points, but if the drill isn't showing up as well because of the color of the uniform, that might hurt. I think the all-black sort of makes them lose some of the visual impact... I don't know, I think a uniform change might help. It's not going to move them up 3 spots, but it might give them a few more tenths that judges might subconsciously assign.

All black didn't hurt Phantom much, but you're definitely right with certain uniform factors which might affect a corps overall performance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thread sounds more like Victoria's Secret. :P

phantom regiment had plain black uniforms for how many years. i don't see the issues with the black and some red. plus, the black creates a backdrop for the color of flags and whatnot. also is a big contrast to the green field. i don't see and issue with it at all.

Yes, PR did have all-black uniforms for a while, and I think it also cost them some of that "visual impact" that TSRTS13 mentioned. There's just not enough contrast and they don't stand out. Whereas white or brightly colored uniforms might give a tall and expansive look to a corps, very dark uniforms can have the opposite effect, making them look small and compressed. They might look sharp up-close, but when you're however-many yards away at the top of the stands? It just doesn't have the same sort of effect. I don't think it'd be enough to significantly impact your Visual scores, but who knows? I doubt any judge would count it against you consciously, but a tenth here or there just because something's not as flashy as it might otherwise have been? It's possible. If people think that the color of your shoes, or whether or not you've got stripes down your leg can raise or lower your Visual scores, why not this?

Edited by Orpheus

I don't think uniforms can consciously cost a corps GE points, but if the drill isn't showing up as well because of the color of the uniform, that might hurt. I think the all-black sort of makes them lose some of the visual impact... I don't know, I think a uniform change might help. It's not going to move them up 3 spots, but it might give them a few more tenths that judges might subconsciously assign.

Bingo. We had flat polyester black with blue trim unis from 79 until the mid 80s. If the field was highly lit the unis (and the drill) looked great and the crowd responded. In any stadium that didn't light backfield that well, the crowd response fell off to people talking to each other. They were probably asking "Where the #### is the horn line?"

I really like Crossmen's current uniform a lot better than some of their old ones. It is really bad ###. To change it this year would be a bad move. They need to be first seen as the Crossmen from San Antonio so that they are recognized and accepted by their current fan base.

I agreee with drumcorpsmom. Crossmen's unis really impressed me this year (the black may not have stood out too much...but the red complimented it and made it stand out more) and the whole clean look of it can be their signature.