Would marching band affect your college choice?

I know there is already a topic on here about choosing a school...but I also need help. I live in the Northeast and I want to go to a school for Music Ed. One of the schools I am considering, Rowan University, does not have a marching band. My question is if a school did not have a marching band...would that affect your choice among other schools? I am also considering West Chester and Indiana University of Pennsylvannia.

I play trumpet and I was wondering if you guys could give me suggestions on some great teachers/schools to go to. Thanks!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is already a topic on here about choosing a school...but I also need help. I live in the Northeast and I want to go to a school for Music Ed. One of the schools I am considering, Rowan University, does not have a marching band. My question is if a school did not have a marching band...would that affect your choice among other schools? I am also considering West Chester and Indiana University of Pennsylvannia.

I play trumpet and I was wondering if you guys could give me suggestions on some great teachers/schools to go to. Thanks!!!!

Why does it matter if the school doesn't have a marching band? I'd almost think that would make it better.......

hey, OP of the other thread here. Marching band or not is not going to affect my choice. If you want to teach and have a STRONG pull to the marching side, you may want a marching band, but I don't think it is a necessity.

Shameless plug: University of North Texas

Eugene Corporon has got to be one of the most well-traveled people I've ever had the pleasure to take a class from. And he knows EVERYONE it seems in the field.

In the area...UMASS is another school with a nice MB, as is U of Del.

Just marching in a marching band might not impact my choice all THAT much (unless you just really want to march)...having a MB methods class is an important item for a future music ed major.

Why does it matter if the school doesn't have a marching band? I'd almost think that would make it better.......

This is an ignorant statment based on nothing more than your dislike of the marching band vs. drum corps argument. This has nothing to do with that.

If you are majoring in Music Ed and plan to be a band director, its is DEFINATELY in you best interest to be in the marching band.

Do you have to? No. But it helps.

The only reason I would want it is to have that experience. Definitely not for the marching, because obviously Im in corps, but just to have that activity.

My goal is to find a great school first and then if they have a marching band...great! But I put that in the topic line to grab attention. Plus it was something that crossed my mind :-)

Edited by marchinalong8

If you want teach in a school system with a good marching bands, then yes, you need to think about that. If you want to teach in a system with little emphasis on that and concentrate on concert bands, then no.

Some systems would be more open to accepting drum corps experience in place of university marching experience than others.

In part in depends on who does the hiring. In small school systems the adminstrators hire and you never know what their knowledge of music is; usually not very much. (just be sure to cheer the football team and make sure their kid gets head twirler/guard captian etc. ^0^ ) In larger systems a music supervisor who knows music does the hiring so then all these things matter a lot more.

Edited by shawn craig

The only reason I would want it is to have that experience. Definitely not for the marching, because obviously Im in corps, but just to have that activity.

I only see marching in a college band as a plus. I just finished my 4th and final year in the University of Miami "Band of the Hour," and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am also majoring in Music Ed. (thanks drum corps, lol), and after being in HS marching band, College marching band, Drum Corps, and teaching at a HS marching band, I've seen many different styles and forms of teaching. It is a great bonus to anyone who wants to be a Band Director, if they get as much exposure to what their craft will entail as possible.

This is an ignorant statment based on nothing more than your dislike of the marching band vs. drum corps argument. This has nothing to do with that.

If you are majoring in Music Ed and plan to be a band director, its is DEFINATELY in you best interest to be in the marching band.

Do you have to? No. But it helps.

Actually, I don't think it's ignorant. Many kids I've known are glad to get away in the fall, and not burn out. Many music ed majors are REQUIRED to do MB, and it makes enjoying marching all year not as fun. Would there be disadvantages? Sure. But if you were marching each summer, on tour, and learning, it's probably a better lab than small school MB.