Lord of the Rings

Again, I said nothing of the kind.

When you have something so immediately recognizable in pop culture like the Lord of the Rings, it becomes that much more difficult to create a show that will appeal to the audience out of it. Because everyone's a critic, and there will be certain expectations. If you're not getting that concept, I don't know how else to explain it, so we might have to just let this one go.

Wow, you are quite condescending! I'll be sure to avoid discussing anything with you in the future. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm not "getting the concept." I simply think you are wrong. Get over yourself.

Edited by RegimentContra94

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And whereas Phantom's productions of Shostakovich and Vanguard's and Star's of Barber opened me up to new worlds of music, putting Lord of the Rings on the field isn't going to help any drum corps fan discover new great music, because everyone's seen the bloody movies already anyway.
When you have something so immediately recognizable in pop culture like the Lord of the Rings, it becomes that much more difficult to create a show that will appeal to the audience out of it. Because everyone's a critic, and there will be certain expectations. If you're not getting that concept, I don't know how else to explain it, so we might have to just let this one go.

Sounds like you're both suggesting that no corps should ever play any music that's well-known or popular!

Edited by Orpheus

Wow, you are quite condescending! I'll be sure to avoid discussing anything with you in the future. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm not "getting the concept." I simply think you are wrong. Get over yourself.

I give up. You believe what you want about me if that makes you happy.

And to clarify, I don't think you're an idiot. When I say "getting the concept", it doesn't mean I think you're thick, just that I feel you aren't understanding my possition as I am explaining it. That could very well be my fault, and probably is.

I offered an opinion that I thought doing Lord of the Rings would be a difficult task. I didn't expect to be unanimously supported. If I haven't done a good job explaining my possition, then so it is. I'm ok with that.

Edited by geluf

I really like most of Shore's music in the film, and I can listen to a few of the cues as stand-alone pieces, but I don't think it would translate well to the field. Most of it is just too wishy-washy, full of ostinatos and not much else, and with tempos that just wouldn't work marching. Sorry, but I don't think I'd like it. Of course, I'm itchhing for a corps to do pieces of a few James Horner scores I like (Searching for Bobby Fischer, Krull, Field of Dreams), and he's the king of wishy-washiness. :doh:

Sounds like you're both suggesting that no corps should ever play any music that's well-known or popular!

Where did I suggest that?

What is going ON here?? I come in, post my opinion (that I think Lord of the Rings would be difficult to do well), and suddenly everything I say is construed as being totally and completely against it.

Yes it does.

It also sounds nothing like "suggesting that no corps should ever play any music that's well-known or popular!"

Just because I said its difficult, it does not follow that I said it shouldn't be done.

I think people just want to disagree. But in all honesty, what a silly answer.

lets see.. Cavaliers 2004, james bond. who didn't know james bond? Or phantom regiment with canon? It all worked...

what do you think about that? Whis LOTR different?

Edited by g0at