Rules Proposals

2007.7 - Overall Effect Judges  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

I have what I consider to be a simple plan in terms of scores...but there's a money issue because it calls for 10 judges

Each contributes 20 points

Field Brass

Ensemble Brass

Field Percussion

Ensemble Percussion

Ensemble Music

Field Visual

Ensemble Visual

Colorguard

Music Effect

Visual Effect

Add 'em up....divide by 2

GE certainly doesn't carry the weight

Edited by JMS0527

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have what I consider to be a simple plan in terms of scores...but there's a money issue because it calls for 10 judges

Each contributes 20 points

Field Brass

Ensemble Brass

Field Percussion

Ensemble Percussion

Ensemble Music

Field Visual

Ensemble Visual

Colorguard

Music Effect

Visual Effect

Add 'em up....divide by 2

GE certainly doesn't carry the weight

I'm not sure how many of you have been around for awhile, but the short history lesson is that the corps instructors and the DCI task force had worked in the background for almost two years in the late 90s developing a system that A.) included a color guard sheet, B.) was acknowledged to be a 50/50 split visual/music and C.) put more weight on effect, which everyone thought was necessary because shows were considered to be too technical and boring.

This new system was debated fairly vigorously (I remember the ground work for this system being laid in 1994 in Boston when color guard having it's own sheet was beginning to be discussed with some vigor!) and eventually passed - unanimously - in 2000. (I remember The Cavaliers were one of the hold-outs....we weren't so sure that 50/50 split was a good thing, eventually we and a few others were convinced)

History lesson over....

jeff

Thank you Jeff. It is always good to get a little background information and perspective.

Obviously, the judging system has been undergoing continuous review, discussion and sometimes revision over the years and will continue to do so. There isn't one perfect system that meets all of the needs and requirements of this evolving activity. (Which is probably why we get these rule proposals.)

I've had the honor of talking a little bit with Jeff Mitchell...

If I'm not mistaken...

In '94, when the new Judges Manual came out, there was an attempt to name the effect captions Music Effect and Visual Effect (getting the "general" out of there altogether)

As we can see, it didn't last and "general" is still there...I like that concept from '94, and I do refer to them as Music Effect and Visual Effect, myself...

I use the "general" only when referring to the aggregate...

but then, I'm just a music theory geek who happens to enjoy drum corps

Edited by JMS0527

keep the guard sheet and add a brass ensemble judge instead of music ensemble.

now to figure out a way to average GE