Are Show Designers Driving Rules Changes?

Good many of the proposed rule changes over the last few years have to do with designing the show. For example adding instrumentation was justified because the designers were "stifiled"(sp) in what they could do. And going to 150 members will open up drill and music design possibilities.

So two related questions:

Is show design one of the major reasons for the changes to DCI in the last few years?

Should show design drive major changes to DCI?

As for the "Harder to Design" question. Is it more creative to design a show when you have a broad selection of things to work with (amps, vocals, electronics). Or is it more creative to design within a stricter set of rules (no amps, etc). Heard discussion both ways so will open the floor here.

Should show design drive major changes to DCI?

Sure, among other things.

As for the "Harder to Design" question. Is it more creative to design a show when you have a broad selection of things to work with (amps, vocals, electronics). Or is it more creative to design within a stricter set of rules (no amps, etc).

The answer is.....yes. :)

Why postulate that there is just ONE way to be creative?

You'll have to answer that one, Mike. After all, that's exactly what you're doing when you say more toys = more creativity.

By the way, for those who think that turning a drum corps into a marching band is "creative", why can't they become more creative with their choice of venue for their performances (i.e. anywhere other than DCI)?

You'll have to answer that one, Mike. After all, that's exactly what you're doing when you say more toys = more creativity.

By the way, for those who think that turning a drum corps into a marching band is "creative", why can't they become more creative with their choice of venue for their performances (i.e. anywhere other than DCI)?

Designers are free to use as many 'toys' as they wish from the available toybox. The mere existence does not mandate their required use...as shown by the limited use of amplified voice.

Yeah, but you know as well as I do in order to "achieve", all toys must be used or else "effect" suffers.

Don't deny that it doesn't happen.

Amplified voice hasn't taken hold yet.

But look at amps in the pit...how many in the top 12 don't amp their pits.

Look at Bb...how many in the top 12 still use G?

(not that I'm saying Bb is bad, just making a point)

Neither one of these changes are "mandatory"

Amplified voice hasn't taken hold yet.

But look at amps in the pit...how many in the top 12 don't amp their pits.

Look at Bb...how many in the top 12 still use G?

(not that I'm saying Bb is bad, just making a point)

Neither one of these changes are "mandatory"

Because the items that took hold made sense economically and in performance quality in general.

Never did Mike, just getting opinions on which one is harder.

s/ Some guy who is very uncreative unless he's writing computer programs or scripts.