THE Ohio State Marching Band

Classic moment of the Game -- the OSU Band playing a theme from "Titanic" and actually formed (drill) the ship sinking into the deep blue!

Can you say -- Ironic! :rolleyes:

I was rolling in the floor! b**bs

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly didn't like Ohio State's band very much.. I respect the things they do as tradition, but the high step hop thing looks simply rediculous and the way they turn corners in the follow the leader with a snap of the head up and around looks pretty rediculous as well. I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers... its just not me at all. if you dig it thats cool... and i didn't find them to be clean at all... there feet were all over the place. I'd rather watch a corps style marching band any day then the Big Ten Variety... but maybe thats because i grew up in florida... like 1000 miles from the closest Big Ten school. P.S. I hate the Gators I grew up an FSU fan, but Now I'm an Alumni of Middle Tennessee State University. GO Blue

I honestly didn't like Ohio State's band very much.. I respect the things they do as tradition, but the high step hop thing looks simply rediculous and the way they turn corners in the follow the leader with a snap of the head up and around looks pretty rediculous as well. I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers... its just not me at all. if you dig it thats cool... and i didn't find them to be clean at all... there feet were all over the place. I'd rather watch a corps style marching band any day then the Big Ten Variety... but maybe thats because i grew up in florida... like 1000 miles from the closest Big Ten school. P.S. I hate the Gators I grew up an FSU fan, but Now I'm an Alumni of Middle Tennessee State University. GO Blue

I actually agree 100%.

off the topic of Tosu for a moment...did anyone else catch the credits/montage song at the very very end? I beleive it was Boston 2000's ballad. Beautiful piece. I have never heard it outside drum corps.

do you know which corps he marched in?

One of my students is in TBDBITL this year. :) Actually, the OSU marching band is a really good marching band--old school, but their brass is phenomenal. Interesting point, their director, Jon Woods, spoke with me at the Dublin show last year. I introduced him to a handful of my students--to my surprise, as he told me, I had no idea he marched corps as well--in the 50s or 60s.

They are an all brass group and every year the alumnists come back to homecoming to play along. As the group went all brass in the 40s, there is an older gentleman who graduated in the 40s who used to play clarinet in the OSU band. As of a few years ago, he was coming to homecoming serving as the only woodwind in a group of a few hundred brass and percussionists. ;)

Carry on,

Elmo Blatch

hahahahahaha! that makes me laugh too!

Classic moment of the Game -- the OSU Band playing a theme from "Titanic" and actually formed (drill) the ship sinking into the deep blue!

Can you say -- Ironic! :laugh:

I was rolling in the floor! b**bs

OSU will always be a great band.

However, AN Ohio State University's football team was not as good as the band last night.

Don't get me wrong...

I LOVE high step.

When it's done correctly.

There is some GREAT high stepping bands out there. tOSU has had some GREAT high stepping bands. The one on TV last night wasn't one of them. Granted, it had been 51 days since the team last played, so that's probably a lot of time without practicing, but still... you can't go and embarrass yourself on national television like that.

If you want to see an absolute clinic in how to look great high stepping, watch Wisconsin's band. They sound awful, but they march perfectly. It's slightly unbelievable.