THE Ohio State Marching Band

I am not a big fan of college marching bands as compared to drum corps, but I agree that some of our DCP posters are indeed being a bit elitist. Try to remember these KIDS do NOT have the luxury of practicing 12 hours per day, performing the same show 40 times, so YES their feet may be a little dirty.

I would also point out that this one MARCHING BAND plays in front of more people in a season than will ALL DCI corps combined in a year. They will have thousands of OSU BAND fans attend their pregame session hours before the game. They will also sell more CDs and DVDs than will any single corps...and that is a fact.

Let's give them credit for being the great musical organization they are.

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

I have seen tons of college marching bands and Michigan State is amazing. Ohio State is really great too, but in my opinion the two best are MSU and LSU. MSU has a very mature sound and is really clean. LSU is freaky loud... Georgia play well too (they have like 400+ in the band).

I worked with and wrote for Tennessee's Band for a couple of years and I think they are great (but I am VERY biased of course). Along with the script ohio I think UT has one of the best pregames out there.

This is what I don't get about people that rip on college marching band and compare it to drum corps....they are 2 completely different things that serve very different purposes.

Yeah, LSU is freaky loud, but their shows are kind of boring and repetitive. Not much creativity or imagination. The S.E.C. has the best college bands IMO. They are all corps style, except maybe Tennessee. That's funny, most of the best corps are up north, but a lot of the corps style college bands are in the south. A lot of those Big Ten bands that I've seen aren't corps style.

I would hardly call the Ohio State band the best, they are very unique though. Different. Not much of a percussion section, what with all those little chrome tin cans dangling up high on the waist from straps...........

Yeah, LSU is freaky loud, but their shows are kind of boring and repetitive. Not much creativity or imagination. The S.E.C. has the best college bands IMO. They are all corps style, except maybe Tennessee. That's funny, most of the best corps are up north, but a lot of the corps style college bands are in the south. A lot of those Big Ten bands that I've seen aren't corps style.

I would hardly call the Ohio State band the best, they are very unique though. Different. Not much of a percussion section, what with all those little chrome tin cans dangling up high on the waist from straps...........

Unlike the current state of DCI, Tradition rules Big Ten marching bands. tOSU uses straps, PSU Blue Band uses higher steppers for pre-game, all high step, but not the same way. Marching Illini use ankle knee when they do high step, tOSU and MMB use a traditional high step, Blue Band chair steps....

tOSU bowl game halftime show was entitled "Hollywood Blockbusters" heres a link for the show as done at the Michigan game:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=77...+band&hl=en

Edited by Penn State

easy, killer. i get it.

all i'm asking for is the feet to hit the ground at the same time. we could do it when i was in college band, and we didn't claim to be the best band in the land. plus, many of us were tipsy at the games. (the "benefits" of your college playing its games in a pro stadium -- beer at the concession, and a GIGANTIC pirate ship above the north end zone.)

for a group that takes itself so seriously, i thought they were disappointing. that's all.

you know who was very good this year? eastern michigan. seriously. really good.

Why, because they weren't Box 5?

Talk about being high on yourselves... some of you need to get a life. Drum corps is NOT the end all be all.Just becuse a group doesn't have the precision of the Cadets or SCV, doesn't mean they are bad. It's friggin marching band people. College marching band at that.

Michigan has the best college marching band. First winner of the Sudler Trophy.

My college marching band, The Marching Sycamores, is one of the best, in my opinion. They play "Wabash Cannonball" and sing "The Fireman's Song"...which can't be printed here because I'd be banned. B)

Michigan has the best college marching band. First winner of the Sudler Trophy.

My college marching band, The Marching Sycamores, is one of the best, in my opinion. They play "Wabash Cannonball" and sing "The Fireman's Song"...which can't be printed here because I'd be banned. B)

Sally, Sally, Sally. As much as I love you and I like UofM. The only time UofM has any real power is when they aren't marching.

Also, the Northwestern Marching Band has a great program too.

I hate to have to say this about my alma mater but, sadly, the above statement is no longer true. The School of Music and, particularly, the instrumental program are among the best in the nation but the marching band has fallen on hard times. Now, when the band was directed by John P. Paynter they could compete with just about anybody and were, as mentioned by the poster, very entertaining. With his retirement and subsequent death, the air seems to have gone out of the program.

Which is cooler?

Jack Nicklaus dotting the 'i' or Sir Patrick Stewart conducting "The Victors"?

jack.jpgpicard.jpg

The Victors is THE BEST #### fight song ever. No school can come close (except my high schools which was written by Paul Parets was the band director at Croswell-Lexington).

The Victors is THE BEST #### fight song ever. No school can come close (except my high schools which was written by Paul Parets was the band director at Croswell-Lexington).

Gotta disagree on that one. As much as I am not particularly a fan of the golden dome, when it comes to fight songs (music AND lyrics), Notre Dame is at the top of the list. Any song that talks about "waking up echoes" and "shaking down thunder from the skies" gets the nod from me. That's some powerful stuff...

Cheer, Cheer for Old Notre Dame,

Wake up the echoes cheering her name,

Send the volley cheer on high,

Shake down the thunder from the sky,

What though the odds be great or small

Old Notre Dame will win over all,

While her loyal sons are marching

Onward to Victory.

Oh, yeah--drums! Sorry, but literally nobody beats North Texas in that department! 13 PASIC champions, largest percussion in the world--I'm a brass guy, but it all starts and ends with the beat. Go Eagles!

Sorry, not much in the lines of traditions like script TEXAS and such--no 'i' you know, and crossing the 't' just doesn't sound the same. But I'd put the music of my school's band up against anybody.

But quite frankly, I'll take Texas 5A High School State Marching Finals any day, and even some of the top 4A and 3A. ^OO^