"Tradition" in Drum Corps

All of those quotes would seem to indicate that tradition is worthless. It is not. Mindlessly going through the motions of an activity or function just because that's the way it is done would seem to fit the above descriptions of tradition.

Thoughtful, mindful traditions and following such are a matter of honor and respect to those that came before and those that act now and those that follow. Ask any Marine.

Right-on! However, I do like the Brad Holland quote.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel very blessed with where I am in the drum corps activity. GCS plays on Gs, and doesn't plan to switch until absolutely no one can make them anymore (which doesn't look like will happen). I'm marching with one of the screamers of 84 BD (the blonde-haired, red-faced one). I'm under the direction of a Marine, and also have a Marine for a DM. I am told stories of how it was.

Frankly, I'm upset that those days are gone. I went to the Cavalier audition camp for their 06 season, and it was like a band camp. I'm very thrilled I marched with GCS. I will continue to march with them because of what we hold to what is Drum and Bugle Corps.

This year is my age-out year, according to the rules of DCI. I don't want to be anywhere else but with the greats of drum corps. I want to march a 28 lbs. G Contra. At least I'll have muscles after the season is done. (13 lbs. horn... please...) Plus Finals was a heck of a good time. And I just bought a P/R contra just to have. I'm gonna get me an assortment of G bugles.

All I'm sayin, I'm 21, a young gun in drum corps, and feel that the "new-age" drum corps that is DCI is not worth it. I just wish it could be this fun for all the other people my age, and to see what drum corps tradition is.

I went to YOUTUBE.com and saw some neat stuff. There's a video of Royal Airs Alumni doing an semi traditional OTL and color presentation. The quality of the video was bad, but the color presentation gave me goosebumps. I haven't had drum corps goosebumps in a long while.

I hear you, man. The word that always comes to my mind when I try to remember the essence of traditional drum and bugle corps is...THRILLING!

Although we strove to play in tune and with good tone quality and blend, we weren't fearful of crossing the line of "musical correctness" at times. The point was to impact the audience with a visceral experience that demanded their emotional participation. We were doing drum corps and not symphonic band. Heck, I have played in both genres (probably even more in bands though my drum corps roots are deep and mature) and there was always something very special about the drum corps approach, not to mention cathartic :drool: ! It was very important be sure-handed and to transmit confidence. The peer pressure to not go out on the field and seem like a buffoon was incredible. Sure, the range of artistic expression was more limited, but there was a beauty that came with this constraint.

I guess this is what we are trying to revive in alumni corps. Anyhow, my point is that I am with you brothers and sisters. LONG LIVE THE DIFFERENCE!

All of those quotes would seem to indicate that tradition is worthless. It is not. Mindlessly going through the motions of an activity or function just because that's the way it is done would seem to fit the above descriptions of tradition.

Thoughtful, mindful traditions and following such are a matter of honor and respect to those that came before and those that act now and those that follow. Ask any Marine.

Yes, you are correct. But the type of traditions that you speak of are often maintained. Like the Scouts singing Never Walk Alone ect. But somehow many here seem to apply these values to what music can be performed, how color guards should move, and what key the horns should be built in. Tradition can and should influence such things, but not rule them. Afterall, Marines do not wear steel pots and fire M1s anymore.

Edited by mchromik

Yes, you are correct. But the type of traditions that you speak of are often maintained. Like the Scouts singing Never Walk Alone ect. But somehow many here seem to apply these values to what music can be performed, how color guards should move, and what key the horns should be built in. Tradition can and should influence such things, but not rule them. Afterall, Marines do not wear steel pots and fire M1s anymore.

I agree and the furor of what key of instrument to use and whether or not it has 3 valves etc. doesn't rile me. I don't think the equipment so much makes the tradition as the reason and method something is done.

As a trumpet player, though, I can tell you that I really enjoyed playing my p/r bugle, (not so much the v/s bugles). So I do think there is some value to maintaining a tradition through and through, (equipment and all). The sound is part of the tradition and those old chrome G bugles had a unique sound. Tradition for tradition's sake can be good.

Imagine buying a ticket to see the Queen's regiment, the Black Watch and Regimental Band perform. (I know you probably wouldn't, but bear with me.) You're set for some rousing music and immersing yourself in some Scottish tradition.

As you're waiting, a small lawn tractor putters out to the arena and sets up all kinds of various percussion, marimbas, bells, and whatever on the side. "Hmmm". you say. Then while you're waiting for the band to come triumphantly marching into the arena in grand military parade with pipes urging them on, you see them come into the arena and set up a formation.

(neatly, mind you)

"What?" you say. Then you're imagining the regimental colors and the clan colors being trouped out, but there are people putting flag like things all around the place, (but they're plaid).

"Well, that's progress", you reason, trying to keep an open mind. Then, Do they play, "Rule Brittania"!, "Amazing Grace"!, No.....

no...it's some sort of jazz song and the bag pipes are marching sideways. "Wait! now they're running and they're forming a....a....an English Muffin and now it's morphing into a....a....teapot!" "Fantastic!!!!"

Maybe, the show is terrific, but the tradition has been lost. Do you see what I mean?

I'm not saying Alumni corps don't strive to be good or even maintain a tradition. I march in an Alumni corps - I play a 3 valve soprano. Am I against progress? No, I was the first one in the corps to have a 3 valve - I bought my own in 1989. Even discussed with Donald Getzen how it could be improved.

In watching and listening to some old videos and records I realized more than ever that we have lost something incredible.

Yes, yes, DCI and DCA are great and the people are great and the kids are great. That is not what I mean.

Go back if you can and watch an old show that comes "off the line" and try to forget about DCI or DCA and don't compare what you see to today's shows - you can't.

As you see the corps on the line, the field is empty. There's anticipation. There's no pit, just the judges table. The drum major/ette marches to the head judge and gives a crisp salute. Their arm doesn't gyrate in all directions before coming to the salute - just a snappy salute and return. It was like a moment of honor.

Then the step off. It was usually a wow moment as the corps came onto the field and the music reached you and you saw a laser straight front moving across the starting line and into the field of competition. We honored our country with a color presentation. It was an emotional moment and you were part of it. Even back then, when a corps came at the stands in a large front with horns and drums ablazing you could feel the power, the intensity, and the emotion of what was on the field.

And with our flag proudly being presented with such power and fanfare, well, people would cheer of course, but many would tear up at the pride they felt inside. And that is what the corps on the field gave them.

The power and intensity and emotion are all in today's show, but there are distractions, streamers, giant banners, the entire percussion department from a music store in the pit. Hey, that's what they do today. That's entertainment. Fine.

I wish there was a way for people to enjoy traditional drum and bugle corps. Because it was great and because now it's gone and I think it was a great part of our country's heritage.

I agree and the furor of what key of instrument to use and whether or not it has 3 valves etc. doesn't rile me. I don't think the equipment so much makes the tradition as the reason and method something is done.

As a trumpet player, though, I can tell you that I really enjoyed playing my p/r bugle, (not so much the v/s bugles). So I do think there is some value to maintaining a tradition through and through, (equipment and all). The sound is part of the tradition and those old chrome G bugles had a unique sound. Tradition for tradition's sake can be good.

Imagine buying a ticket to see the Queen's regiment, the Black Watch and Regimental Band perform. (I know you probably wouldn't, but bear with me.) You're set for some rousing music and immersing yourself in some Scottish tradition.

As you're waiting, a small lawn tractor putters out to the arena and sets up all kinds of various percussion, marimbas, bells, and whatever on the side. "Hmmm". you say. Then while you're waiting for the band to come triumphantly marching into the arena in grand military parade with pipes urging them on, you see them come into the arena and set up a formation.

(neatly, mind you)

"What?" you say. Then you're imagining the regimental colors and the clan colors being trouped out, but there are people putting flag like things all around the place, (but they're plaid).

"Well, that's progress", you reason, trying to keep an open mind. Then, Do they play, "Rule Brittania"!, "Amazing Grace"!, No.....

no...it's some sort of jazz song and the bag pipes are marching sideways. "Wait! now they're running and they're forming a....a....an English Muffin and now it's morphing into a....a....teapot!" "Fantastic!!!!"

Maybe, the show is terrific, but the tradition has been lost. Do you see what I mean?

I'm not saying Alumni corps don't strive to be good or even maintain a tradition. I march in an Alumni corps - I play a 3 valve soprano. Am I against progress? No, I was the first one in the corps to have a 3 valve - I bought my own in 1989. Even discussed with Donald Getzen how it could be improved.

In watching and listening to some old videos and records I realized more than ever that we have lost something incredible.

Yes, yes, DCI and DCA are great and the people are great and the kids are great. That is not what I mean.

Go back if you can and watch an old show that comes "off the line" and try to forget about DCI or DCA and don't compare what you see to today's shows - you can't.

As you see the corps on the line, the field is empty. There's anticipation. There's no pit, just the judges table. The drum major/ette marches to the head judge and gives a crisp salute. Their arm doesn't gyrate in all directions before coming to the salute - just a snappy salute and return. It was like a moment of honor.

Then the step off. It was usually a wow moment as the corps came onto the field and the music reached you and you saw a laser straight front moving across the starting line and into the field of competition. We honored our country with a color presentation. It was an emotional moment and you were part of it. Even back then, when a corps came at the stands in a large front with horns and drums ablazing you could feel the power, the intensity, and the emotion of what was on the field.

And with our flag proudly being presented with such power and fanfare, well, people would cheer of course, but many would tear up at the pride they felt inside. And that is what the corps on the field gave them.

The power and intensity and emotion are all in today's show, but there are distractions, streamers, giant banners, the entire percussion department from a music store in the pit. Hey, that's what they do today. That's entertainment. Fine.

I wish there was a way for people to enjoy traditional drum and bugle corps. Because it was great and because now it's gone and I think it was a great part of our country's heritage.

Yes!! :drool:

You paint a pretty picture with your words sir.

I myself,miss the old style in so many ways.

Even as a child as I followed my fathers corps to a parade. It thrilled me to no end to see a corps march down the street and every single person was facing front and center. No eye wandered to the crowd.

You didn't see people in the color guard waving to people on the side lines. No brushing the hair out of your face. It was unheard of to my way of thinking as a small child.

It thrills me just thinking back on those tight machines of drum corps past.

The anticipation as the corps waited for the crack of the gun to begin a compitition. As well as the thrill that comes as they all leave the field on time, before the final crack of the gun.

How about inspections? LOL You had to be totaly anal about your equiptment. They inspected every inch of you and your equiptment before a show. You'd get ticed for a spec of lint on your trousers. A skuff on your shoe! It was brutal but it taught you to take pride in yourself.

In the last few years,I've seen kids pull their uniforms out of the back of their cars prior to a show and the condition that they were in was disgracefull. By oldtime standards.

I guess I've been spoiled by being near such excellant drum and bugle corps all my life.I feel really blessed to have had the chance to see drum corps evolve to what it is today.

It's just a shame that there isn't the opertunity out there to present compititions in the old style.

It's like we've caved in to the peir presure of todays standards.Loosing something profoundly important to drum corps in the long run.

I guess the answer is for enough like minded folks to put together a classic style unit to compete and or perform. I am not sure what the Royal Airs status is currently, but I believe that was their idea in recent years. Or better yet a couple of units to square off in friendly competition, like vintage sports car racing. It is one thing to try and tell the younger folks of today, which by the way are quite interested in classic drum corps, and giving them a chance to see it live and in the flesh. Maybe a look back might inspire today's designers and instructors to add a bit of the past to the future.

For me the tradition I hold closest is being able to get together with the friends I made some twenty plus years ago, play grab-### and swap stories of days of yore. But also make new memories, and in a way push forward from where we left off. After all we are not the same kids we used to be. One foot in the past, one in the future. It is just good to being doing drum corps.

You paint a pretty picture with your words sir.

I myself,miss the old style in so many ways.

Even as a child as I followed my fathers corps to a parade. It thrilled me to no end to see a corps march down the street and every single person was facing front and center. No eye wandered to the crowd.

You didn't see people in the color guard waving to people on the side lines. No brushing the hair out of your face. It was unheard of to my way of thinking as a small child.

It thrills me just thinking back on those tight machines of drum corps past.

The anticipation as the corps waited for the crack of the gun to begin a compitition. As well as the thrill that comes as they all leave the field on time, before the final crack of the gun.

How about inspections? LOL You had to be totaly anal about your equiptment. They inspected every inch of you and your equiptment before a show. You'd get ticed for a spec of lint on your trousers. A skuff on your shoe! It was brutal but it taught you to take pride in yourself.

In the last few years,I've seen kids pull their uniforms out of the back of their cars prior to a show and the condition that they were in was disgracefull. By oldtime standards.

I guess I've been spoiled by being near such excellant drum and bugle corps all my life.I feel really blessed to have had the chance to see drum corps evolve to what it is today.

It's just a shame that there isn't the opertunity out there to present compititions in the old style.

It's like we've caved in to the peir presure of todays standards.Loosing something profoundly important to drum corps in the long run.

Cindy,

Your not alone. I too have had the pleasure of marching OLD SCHOOL drum corps. Including under the Master himself Col. Crawford. Drum Corps is a Mindset...not an image. Everyone should ask themselves...why has not Pipe Bands not added instruments to THEIR organizations over the years to "keep up" with what has been happening in the Activity. Drum Corps IS NOT MARCHING BAND. nuff said.

I guess the answer is for enough like minded folks to put together a classic style unit to compete and or perform. I am not sure what the Royal Airs status is currently, but I believe that was their idea in recent years. Or better yet a couple of units to square off in friendly competition, like vintage sports car racing. It is one thing to try and tell the younger folks of today, which by the way are quite interested in classic drum corps, and giving them a chance to see it live and in the flesh. Maybe a look back might inspire today's designers and instructors to add a bit of the past to the future.

For me the tradition I hold closest is being able to get together with the friends I made some twenty plus years ago, play grab-### and swap stories of days of yore. But also make new memories, and in a way push forward from where we left off. After all we are not the same kids we used to be. One foot in the past, one in the future. It is just good to being doing drum corps.

It is hard to explain to the New people the Total Sight, Sound, Feel of the Old Day's. Even how crowd reaction was different.

How the Muchachos could make you see, hear and feal like they just arrived from Mexico. Yet the Caballeros could make you think they just off the boat from Spain. How the 27th Lancers and Kilties could make you see, hear and feel Alstralian or Scotish to the bone. The way the NY Skyliners gave you a New York City thrill, of being there.

Yet Corps like the Cavies, Royal Airs, Blessed Sacrament, Garfield all had a Style of their own. The way St. Kevins was different than the Boston Crusaders. Yet you Knew (without being told) they both were from Beantown area. How the Toronto Opimists and Scout House were both Canadian yet a World of Different from each other. Same for the Canadian Seniors. Guelph Royalairs and Les Diplomats.

Then even with the Western Corps entrance. Who would ever not get goose bumps from the Troopers or the Anaheim KIngsmen or Santa Clara Vanguard (God I love the Phantom of the Opera year). All those Corps from the West were GREAT. Yet all very different from each other.

But most of all, I miss having: a Begining, a Color Pre, Concert, and an Ending. The Crowd reaction to each of those parts.

The groups of today are Great. They do Magnificent things. The Talent level is through the roof. I know. But they leave me wanting. I could live with the Bb horns. But the re-writes the "Designers" do, is just too much. I do not care if you play Classical, Jazz or Broadway. You can hardly tell the name of things. The Dancers are a distraction. The over done Props are a distraction. God knows the old Corps won a National Title with not many more people than in a New groups Pit area.

Look at the Crowd reaction to the Madison Reunion corps. Check out the Crowd reaction to the Cabs Alumni at DCI and just wait till you see the crowd reaction to the SoCal Kingsmen in Pasadena. That must tell you something. The Growth of the alumni movment. (Many have young people that just want to do that kind of Corps)

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni