just browsing

Is this surprising to anyone? Drum Corps ranks pretty high as far as "closed markets" go. Although the ESPN2 thing was a good move, they have a while before public awareness will be increased.

In a related instance, I was discussing drum corps and someone said "oh neat, I was in drum corps," to which I asked "really, which one?" This person's reply was "my high school, it was so much fun!" :ph34r: If some marching band folks don't know or see the difference between what they do and what corps do, how can we expect non-musicians to see it just based on a few commercials?

Back to the topic...I think its funny that "outsiders" noticed the phallic properties of drill that many of us have known about for a while.

I hate to break it to you, but that's life. people see people marching with instruments, and they think marching band. Some people (aka the person who posted this on collegehumor) think marching band is "gay" and aren't going to be able to get past that fact, even if it IS on a major broadcast sports station.

too bad, really.

~>conner

In a related instance, I was discussing drum corps and someone said "oh neat, I was in drum corps," to which I asked "really, which one?" This person's reply was "my high school, it was so much fun!" :ph34r: If some marching band folks don't know or see the difference between what they do and what corps do, how can we expect non-musicians to see it just based on a few commercials?

He didn't happen to go to North Port High School, by chance? :D

I check Google News on a regular basis for news items related to drum corps which I can post on the DCP front page. I've noticed more and more articles refer to high school and college "drum corps". They're literally a corps of drummers, probably something more similar to the drum lines which NFL and NBA teams are now using for entertainment.

There is also the Top Secret Drum Corps, based out of Basel, Switzerland, which has been featured at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo:

Video

On top of that, there's Street Drum Corps, which seems to be similar to Stomp:

Website

Is this surprising to anyone? Drum Corps ranks pretty high as far as "closed markets" go. Although the ESPN2 thing was a good move, they have a while before public awareness will be increased.

Not surprising to me and it's gotten worse over the decades. Still have two syndicated comic strips that ran in the mid 70s that used Drum Corps in the punch line. Doubt if that will ever happend again. :(

And at lunchtime I found out the hard way that collegehumor is blocked by at work. Oooops :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari