Biggest/Smallest Snarelines

You're very right about the remaining playing their butts off. Granted they were playing on mylar but that five-man snare lines project more volume than most top 12 lines.

They didn't call Brian Coley hammer hands for nothing. (among other assorted nicknames which will remain unmentioned).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mobrien - I think Jim Camerota is still a math teacher in Kenosha - we marched together in Kilts (he on triples, me on snare) and though he was about 4 years older than I, we hung out alot, went to the same Kenosha H.S. and I haven't heard from him in decades - believe he's still in K-Town though!

Small snare lines - Kilts used I think 3 in 68 with one snare doing mostly cymbal rolls throughout the show and other utility work, they had four in 69, and we had 5 in 70 which eventually got reduced to 3 or 4 by VFW.

Hey mobrien - I think Jim Camerota is still a math teacher in Kenosha - we marched together in Kilts (he on triples, me on snare) and though he was about 4 years older than I, we hung out alot, went to the same Kenosha H.S. and I haven't heard from him in decades - believe he's still in K-Town though!

Small snare lines - Kilts used I think 3 in 68 with one snare doing mostly cymbal rolls throughout the show and other utility work, they had four in 69, and we had 5 in 70 which eventually got reduced to 3 or 4 by VFW.

Do you know Tom Sorenson or Mick Heberling?

I believe SW only marched 5 in 01.

Cavies and Boston had 10 in 03, Boston had 15 at one point. I believe CR had 10 this year, as well as Bluecoats.

~>conner

Madison then had a 12 man super clean snare line in 1978 that was jaw dropping. I remember Rodney Goodhart just walking away from

them shaking his head and shrugging as if to say "There's nothing... no mistakes! at prelims 1978.

Here ya go Geno!

3snares78.jpg

Gotta like that!

On the other end of the scale the smallest snare line I ever marched a show in was - one. Just me. It was an exhibition and nobody else showed up......

WOW, Dan, just WOW!

And Matthew - I knew Sorny, since he was one of my idols and was our snare line instructor in 70 - turns out I met his wife when I went to Racine several years ago and were sitting in the stands together at the Kiltie Kontest and I discovered Sorny knew my youngest brother which I never knew (also a great drummer!).

WOW, Dan, just WOW!

And Matthew - I knew Sorny, since he was one of my idols and was our snare line instructor in 70 - turns out I met his wife when I went to Racine several years ago and were sitting in the stands together at the Kiltie Kontest and I discovered Sorny knew my youngest brother which I never knew (also a great drummer!).

That's really cool. Tom gave me private lessons from fifth grade through high school, and was instructor for my high school marching band.

Ah good to know. He wrote the percussion book one year for the Scarlet Knights back when I was marching there in the mid-70s. I thought we had more interesting grooves going on that year any small corps in the area.

The the staff changed to all DP Vanguard, and any sense of groove went with it... :P (still a good staff, but much more formal in terms of their approach).

What about star in 1988.

I don't remember exactly how many snres they had but I do know that they had snares instead of pop drums on their tenors that year. So technically you would have to count their snare line and tenor line for total snares on the field during that show.