Attitudes toward Rebuilding/Restarting Corps

Here's the easiest way you can start supporting smaller corps.

SHOW UP AT THEIR SHOWS.

D2/3 gets at most 10% of the audience of D1. 13-24 in D1 get 20-40% of audiences that Finals gets.

It's a simple thing, but if you want to start supporting corps that aren't in Finals, START GOING. That alone is the best thing that anyone here can do.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another question....

How many cuts from, say, BD go to BDB? There's essentially no inconvenience, but it's a "B" corps. What then?

Or, would it behoove corps that are not-top-6 to have their auditions later?

What if a D2 corps had its auditions in May? Would it fill?

May is probably too late, but I totally get your drift and think it's a good idea.

Couple problems that I see from "outside the Beltway." The MBA in me says that the D2/3 corps have the EXACT same business side issues, decisions, planning, budgeting, etc as the top 6. Same for the rest of D1. The distinct advantage is no different for Apple Corp as it is for a start-up corps, say Academy in Arizona in the last couple of years. Apple is established, no doubt. And although Academy has had some great success, STRICTLY FROM A BUSINESS STANDPOINT, they are not yet an 'established' corps. I base this statement strictly on knowing that they are a relatively new corps, not on inside information, experience in running a corps, etc. If you take offense to any remark above, simply delete Academy and insert YOUR choice of a corps less than 5 years old and lets move on. If you haven't figured out, I'm speaking to the business side which is actually what puts the corps on the road and on the field.

Cadets, Scouts, Cavies, etc have a dedicated log of alumni that can justify sending $50 per year to their favorite corps, or several. If there is a member needing $$$, there is an alumni base they have at least the connection to of being associated with the same group. When I marched SkyRyders in 1992 we had one vet who had marched in the Hutchinson, KS corps and about 10 total in the corps. We weren't exactly well-connected to the historical alumni of that corps, and besides, it had relocated 400 miles south to Dallas. Basically, no alumni support, no alumni involvement, no connection to the local community, no more SkyRyders! Nobody will argue with me that Sky has a rich history and many traditions--just not a perennial top-6, or even top-12, corps.

DCI, unfortunately, butters their bread with a generous helping of the top 6. Again, unfortunate, but that is the big draw. If Academy becomes a perennial champ in D2 (sorry, do I have the correct division? Just making sure.), I would imagine that DCI would start including snippets of their performances in the broadcasts and marketing materials.

Oh, another business decision that I wouldn't be surprised by. How much money does it cost to field a full D1 corps?? I don't know what the cost-benefit analysis would yield--maybe that's why we now see 135 vs the old 128 membership--but it's a lot cheaper to field a corps in two buses than 3-4. Wouldn't be shocking with gas and other prices to see corps shrink.

Perhaps more regional tours and less national travel??? Believe me, Texas could support about 30 competitions all by its lonesome. Then have the regionals converge in a one or two-week national tour cluminating in Finals week. Maybe not as sexy, but if you don't have to travel all the way from Silicon Valley to Boston and back it seems it might be a bit cheaper. Just a thought.

Here's an idea that might be thought of as heresy, but why not apply the idea of 'efficiency' to drum corps operations? Why does each corps have a corps director, headquarters, staff, etc? It's awful expensive to run a corps. George Hopkins and YEA have a pretty good thing going--one organization, two major drum corps, and a whole slew of other activities (band stuff, etc). Now, I don't always like what Hoppy likes, but I have to say that impresses me. And if you don't think YEA could form, launch, or resurrect about 8 corps in Texas in the next few years (move Cadets down here??), you're not thinking ahead. Texans like DCI, and we go 1,000 miles out of our way to march where we want to march. Why not launch 8 corps down here, bundle them all together into one organization, and organize your own tour from here?? One director cuts down on a BUNCH of overhead, plus cost of living is significantly reduced over San Fran Bay, Chicago, the Northeast--the current top 6. OK, Madison and Rockford aren't Chicago, forgive me.

You can tour anywhere, and you can launch a show a 1,000 miles away (see also Cavaliers 'home' show in my home town, Denton, TX!). Bingo could take place anywhere also--won't go into details now--too long to discuss LP's etc.

Now apply this concept to D2/3. Just thinking out loud. But if all the D2/D3 corps would get together, maybe form a satellite office with DCI either in Indy or elsewhere, and take care of all the logistics from one location. It might be cheaper to fly people out to certain locations than pay a dedicated director for each corps. One tour director per corps, one director for the whole group, etc.

Same thing could be put in place at D1 level, but something tells me there are too many egos in the top 6 for that to happen.

So now, before anybody rips me a new one on any of my thoughts, remember they are just thoughts...brainstorming. But I have put SOME thought into these various topics previously. There is some pretty good money in drum corps--time to start being a bit more 21st Century in some of the business practices of all these non-profit organizations before they go the same way as Freelancers, SkyRyders, Kingsmen, Kilts, 27th Lancers, VK, Magic, Cap Reg, and many many more. There were something like 150 corps when I discovered DCI in 1991--how many now???

Great thread--more like this need to be in place.

There's a huge issue in regards to DII/III corps being seen as a waste of time in comparison to the big corps.

I know of a situation this year where in late November a Div I corps turned away 40 guard members, and in late December the Div II corps an hour away, the only other corps in the area, had less than 10 guard auditionees. Mostly vets.

Kids who get turned away at the bigger corps don't march at all. Why?

And Academy's actually moving up to Div I this year, silvertrombone. Div II corps are really dwindling. Still hope for VK and maybe Impulse to fill the ranks this year, at least.

I think this is a great thread!

As far as what can we do to help - send a donation (no matter how small) to a non-finalist or DII/III corps. A little goes a long way.

Also, like others have suggested, check out what the non-finalists and DII/III are selling at their souvie booths. If you're with someone that wants one of the generic guard shirts, check out what everyone is selling, and maybe you can help out someone not in the top 6.

Go to home shows, even if you have to drive a little further. In order to be a full member of DCI Div. I corps have to put on a home show, and it can really hurt a lower placing corps if their show doesn't make any money, or worse loses some!

And, as far as the experience goes, I think people can have good or bad experiences at any corps, regardless of placement. Half of the experience is what you make of it!

Edited by eiramnosila

There's a huge issue in regards to DII/III corps being seen as a waste of time in comparison to the big corps.

I know of a situation this year where in late November a Div I corps turned away 40 guard members, and in late December the Div II corps an hour away, the only other corps in the area, had less than 10 guard auditionees. Mostly vets.

Kids who get turned away at the bigger corps don't march at all. Why?

And Academy's actually moving up to Div I this year, silvertrombone. Div II corps are really dwindling. Still hope for VK and maybe Impulse to fill the ranks this year, at least.

Purple Knights--who are you? From Rockford? Great screen name!

I realize that lots/most people view D2/3 as sub-DCI--that's too bad. I don't remember D2/3 much from when I was in corps, but I was pretty impressed last year. Talent was right in line with many of the D1 corps that I saw and some of the shows were much more enjoyable. I can only speak from experience from a D1 perspective having done two years.

1.) I marched a 15th-place corps with 8-10 vets out of 128 and by the time we all aged out Sky was represented in all of the top 6 and ten of the top 12. Great talent, bad staff. I have more friends from that corps than my top 6 experience, and more fun/happy memories--if sleeping on gym floors, riding on buses, etc...

2.) I marched a 3rd-place corps filled with vets who weren't as good as the rookies, but "boy, we marched last year" was the theme of the year. It was said of '93 PR that another week and they would have won. We said of '94 that if we had another week, we would have killed each other and missed finals.

3.) Can a D2 champion overshadow half of the D1 corps in talent, show, etc? I've heard similar statements about Academy last year. And we had one person leave PR '94 during the season and march with Pioneer and win a ring--not bad!

Would I recommend marching to not marching? Absolutely! March DCA if you can't do DCI. March D2/3 if you can't get into your favorite top 6. I'm not knocking D2/3 in saying that. I could only afford one year at PR, so I did Sky a year. That's what I mean. If PR were a Dallas corps, I'd have been in from '89 to '95. And if "if's" and "but's" were birdies and putts, we'd all be on the PGA tour.

March where you can. March the best you can. And march as long as you can. Because eventually we all end up in the stands!

And always--ALWAYS!--march your age-out. The eleventh commandment of drum corps. If you can't afford it, call Boo--he'll pay for you!

(Oh, I'm going to get in trouble for that one!! :doh: )

How many cuts from, say, BD go to BDB? There's essentially no inconvenience, but it's a "B" corps. What then?

Or, would it behoove corps that are not-top-6 to have their auditions later?

B corps from organizations like BD, SCV, and Colts seem to be more local in nature. I DO know that if you want to get into THAT corps, if you have a couple years to spare, and ONLY THAT corps (pick one) will do, going through the B corps route accomplishes a lot of things.

First, you are IN the organization. Maybe not the A corps, but they know your name. Say you just graduated HS and were cut from BD A. They offer you a spot in B, you take it, march it, love it, live it, and show up in November to audition again. Now say you're tied with someone else for the last spot in the trumpet line that year--who do you think they'll take? Rookie or BD B vet?? Hmmm...I'd take the vet, just about hands-down. Let's not get into that discussion again, OK--its the last spot in the section and its hypothetical.

Now, if you're like a lot of 18 year olds (was I the only one like this???), maybe the B corps route smacks of unworthy of your time and attention. What else are you going to do--go to college marching band and audition again next year? C'mon--get in there, work you behind off, show them you want in the A corps next year, and have a blast! Something tells me many of the people in B move up with you next year--how cool is that?

Good questions, drumcat! I like the idea of later auditions for non-top 6 and D2/3--simply for logistics issues. I think that we had holes in Sky until mid-season--not an issue at Rockford. Maybe later auditions gets more attending fewer camps all in the spring. March-May then move-in. Less organizational stuff necessary, easier to recruit staff (gear up after UIL, etc competitions are over), etc. Only problem is, how many of you go nuts about three days after finishing one season and think nothing but auditions until they arrive? Then Dec camp? etc until move-in? This excitement drives things, too. Just a thought.

Anyone know if DCW accepts freelance work for no change?

Better yet, any ideas at all????

Jim,

If you or any other DCPers submit an article regarding this topic or any other subject, I'll always give it serious consideration and try to find a place for it in DCWorld. Thanks for thinking of DCW!

Cozy

DCWorld Features Editor

Sometime "just march somewhere else" isn't as easy or appealing as it sounds on an internet forum. Kids have a million different things going on, and all of them cost time and money. I know more than a few people who have tried out at big corps, got cut, and just decided to work in the summer, or do internships, or countless other things. Drum corps is a HUGE commitment, and it's a tough one. New kids don't know how fun it can be. They haven't marched yet. They only see a $2000+ bill, plane tickets every month in the winter, missed classes or school concerts and practices, and 3 months of the year where the real world of friends, family, hanging out, maybe even making money, just doesn't exist. Time and money vanishing at a record pace. Of course they see vids of corps like Cavies or Bluecoats and see the aswesomeness. They know from being in marching band or WGI that corps like these are big deals, and they are probably worth that big commitment. But Marion Glory? Kiwanis(I marched KK btw and loved it)? Oregon Crusaders? These corps just don't seem like you're getting the same bang for your buck(and a big buck at that). They may be wrong, but that is just how it can be seen if you have never marched before. The payoff for marching at a big time corps is seen as worth the time and money. The payoff for marching at a small corps that no one knows about and performs to empty stands is not seen in the same light.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir