The 70s

I have just sat throught the 74, 75 and 76 Legacy dvds and have to make a couple statements. First, thank you for the snares that sound like ...well snares. And the bass drum s that didn't sound like tenors. It was great to see cymbal lines, remember those? Bored by the drill, and the sounds of the horns was way too tinny. Song selection was very good. Some very cool tunes. Some really screaming solos, and some very goofy hairdos. Last but not least, I love the HOT shorts worn by the Blue Star guard. Those are the takes of a early 80s marcher. What where your recollections of those years.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee you had to get me started!

I remember attending a show or two every weekend, heading to Rochester, Syracuse, Endicott, Angola, Niagara Falls, Oswego, etc. Our home shows were very good as the 1970-73 shows consisited of corps like Gauchos, Black Knights, Greece Cadets, Tri-Town Cadets, Squires, Appleknockers, Scarborough Firefighters, Phantom Regiment, etc. Our director had this crazy idea of doing a national show and created the NT Open. The first year was suppose to see the Santa Clara Vanguard but they canceled a few months before. A young Blue Devils won one year, Cavaliers, Argonne Rebels, Regimente Militaire, Pioneer (a new corps then), Precisionaires, Charioteers, Floridians, Marquis, Colt .45, Imperial Regiment, Fire-ettes, Devil Dogs, Squires, Greece Cadets, Seneca Princemen, and on and on. It was a great time! I remember attending the 1976 DCI Championships and seeing corps I had never seen before...being blown away by Wausau Story, Valiant Knights and others and seeing Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optimists who we competed against during the season making finals along with Blue Stars, SCV, Blue Devils, freelancers, and well, you know the rest.

Music back then was entertaining, playing popular music and some classical. You walked away humming tunes and kept humming them all the way home. Now try to do that! Maybe there wasn't a theme but at least you fell in love with drum corps and what it was about.

Who's idea was it to do THEME oriented shows anyway? Santa Clara?

Madison did the Wizard of Oz in the early seventies...complete with characters.

Music back then was entertaining, playing popular music and some classical. You walked away humming tunes and kept humming them all the way home. Now try to do that! Maybe there wasn't a theme but at least you fell in love with drum corps and what it was about.

You try humming some of the shows these days and someone might put you in the quack house! :sshh:

Don't get me started on the "sound" of snares back then vs today!

What sound do the snares have today :angry: ? They don't sound like anything - maybe a table top.

And as for the horns sounding "tinny", just remember that the microphones back then weren't the best for picking up the full sound from the field. Believe me, when you were in the middle of them, or getting a full frontal blast, they didn't sound "tinny" at all.

Good point about the mics, but I have read that a lot of brass players were using very small mouthpieces, which will also contribute to a tinny sound--so maybe it's a bit of both.

Edited by ravedodger