'94 PR Clair de Lune

Any of you guys from '93 Scouts?? You guys know about the rain. I missed your finals performance getting hot dogs and stuff, but from the tunnel it sounded like the weather smacked you guys in the face, you stood up and said, "That all you've got?" Exciting performance--I made sure to check it out on tape!

That was a stupid-sick situation. I was marching Northern Aurora that summer, and we were told that when we did our quarterfinals performance in the afternoon, the on-field temperature was 130 degrees. It was 90+ all week in Jackson, MS, humid as all get out,w with zero chance of rain. Unless you were the Madison Scouts at finals. It rained -no, PORED- only for intermission and their entire show. Then stopped. Amazing.

Like was said above, if anything, I think it helped their performance. They took it as an affront.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not comfortable with this nickname for Ernesto. <**> I was in Rochester at the time, though. Worse than my other rain/corps story, which was at the Preview show in Madison in 1996 when we waited in a downpour for ten minutes before starting our show.

Sorry to hear you're not a fan. I think some corps may be using it in shirts and stuff for the upcoming year. I know we referred to it as "Ernie" all week before and during. Many explitive things were yelled upwards at Ernie.

This is not a drum corps story but i doubt it could be topped. In 2001 at the Florida state marching band tournament. I was with my band walking around the stadium for finals which was orlando. All of the sudden off in the distancethe sky lit up and we could all hear and see a shuttle taking off from cape canaveral. Just soo happens the band that was on the feild at the time the shuttle launched had the planets as their show. TALK ABOUT GE.

I feel your pain, Rosey. I was two up the form from Corey, and they missed me too.

My only TV time was at the end of the ballad, when we are on our knees. They pan out from Tim, and you can see the back of my head. Woo!

Oh, and that's Nikk posting above.

There's only one person I know with the name 'Geoff' spelled 'Geoff!' Hey, Canada--good to run into you here! Yeah, I figured out the 'Tsar Nicholas' thing. Aren't we all creative! :)

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, guys, but are you the Geoff from Canada that was on Wheel of Fortune several years ago? I walk into my grandmothers apartment on our house where she is eating and watching Wheel and I sit down to join her like I did frequently back then, and lo and behold one evening there I see a familiar name, face, and spelling from Canada! If I remember correctly you did pretty well, yes? Remind me, did you go to the bonus round or get second place? Being a former Phantom I'd expect you to get beat by some Californian by about, oh, $400 or so!! :doh:

A good one - Americnaos 02, Eerie Regional - we had just taken the field for our Finals performance and the wind came out of nowhere and flipped over the judges tent. They pulled us off the field and put us under the stands for what seemed like forever while the skies openned up. Once the show was canceled the scaffolding crew had to run over to our rehearsal field and take down the scaffolding in the dark while it was pooring. (the way the EQ was set up then required that the scaffolding be in place before the pit could be loaded)

I know, that's not so bad, but consider this. Our rehearsal field was next to the other school where most of the other div 2/3 corps were housed...and seeing as how we didn't have time to change we had to do it in what we were wearing under our unis. Oh yeah, and we had to carry everything by hand because obviously the pit had all their equipment on the cart, and it was hooked up to the tractor. Bassically we gave most of div 2/3 a quite a show in the rain.

First of all, it's "Erie", not "Eerie". Unless you're saying that the regional was an eerie one, in addition to it being held in Erie Pennsylvania.

Second, Lake Erie Regiment had an interesting experience with the weather the night before the actual show, when they were rehearsing at the school where the show was. Bandettes and San Diego Alliance were housed there as well and the 3 corps decided to do runthroughs for each other just before sunset. LER went first, with SDA and Bandettes watching from the sideline, and the skies opened right when the show started, but they kept going and it just energized the members that much more, and it turned out to be maybe the most emotional performance of the year for them! Lots of the kids were crying as they came off the muddy field. Then everyone ran inside and Bandettes and San Diego Alliance did their runthroughs inside, of course. Is there anyone here who played timpani for LER that year that might wanna tell more of this story? *cough cough*

i remember in 05 in california when SCV was playing russian christmas music, there were fireworks going off..... i never knew if they did that or it was coincidence. can anyone say?

I was there in San Jose. It was a baseball game going on a couple of blocks away. It kinda stunk cause that was where DCI was recording for the APD's that night and SCV's performance was trashed they could'nt sell it for all the explosions.

There's only one person I know with the name 'Geoff' spelled 'Geoff!' Hey, Canada--good to run into you here! Yeah, I figured out the 'Tsar Nicholas' thing. Aren't we all creative! :)

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, guys, but are you the Geoff from Canada that was on Wheel of Fortune several years ago? I walk into my grandmothers apartment on our house where she is eating and watching Wheel and I sit down to join her like I did frequently back then, and lo and behold one evening there I see a familiar name, face, and spelling from Canada! If I remember correctly you did pretty well, yes? Remind me, did you go to the bonus round or get second place? Being a former Phantom I'd expect you to get beat by some Californian by about, oh, $400 or so!! :doh:

<tangent>

Ha! Funny you saw that! Yeah, that was me on there in 1997. I won two shows, and ended up with $71,000 in cash and prizes. Good times!

</tangent>

First of all, it's "Erie", not "Eerie". Unless you're saying that the regional was an eerie one, in addition to it being held in Erie Pennsylvania.

Second, Lake Erie Regiment had an interesting experience with the weather the night before the actual show, when they were rehearsing at the school where the show was. Bandettes and San Diego Alliance were housed there as well and the 3 corps decided to do runthroughs for each other just before sunset. LER went first, with SDA and Bandettes watching from the sideline, and the skies opened right when the show started, but they kept going and it just energized the members that much more, and it turned out to be maybe the most emotional performance of the year for them! Lots of the kids were crying as they came off the muddy field. Then everyone ran inside and Bandettes and San Diego Alliance did their runthroughs inside, of course. Is there anyone here who played timpani for LER that year that might wanna tell more of this story? *cough cough*

Oh, that's me isn't it? :P

That run through was a blast. As anyone who's ever watched any timpanist in the rain, it's an experience. But to have 2 other corps right in front of you just laughing and enjoying every minute of my personal show, was a rush. And I could hear the corps behind me was putting together a great show. It was one of those frusterating moments on tour though as well, as I wondered why we couldn't put on this level of a show all the time. That's drum corps though. It was a great run, and a lot of fun as it is anytime you get to have run throughs and share times with other corps during the season. And as for that whole Erie regional, yeah... it sucked. Too much rain for my liking.