What effect did the draft have on drum corps?

Barring a global conflict on the scale of WWII, the draft will never come back.

In the words of Romeovoid, "Never say never."

This is no longer about hunting Saddam Hussein, it's about oil and the money that can be made. Look who will make out on this deal and he has two years left. Insert the draft before you leave office and you are guaranteed even more money.

Anyways, drum corps will be affected big time I think. In the Vietnam era we had many, many more drum corps and today I would guess less than 75.

This conflict is approaching the size of WWII. There are Muslim vs whoever isn't Muslim conflicts in all corners of the Globe.

Agree...WWII had battles on more than one theater (Europe/Pacific) and we're way stretched thin in Iraq and Afghanistan. If the crap hits the fan somewhere else we're screwed until more troops are ready.

Almost said it would be like Korean War except the NG got sent to Korea until enough troops were drafted and ready. Problem is NG is already in Iraq so stopgap in a new area would be call more NG again.....

Question would be how the deferments woudl be handled.

Wait till we go into Iran and Syria too. What about Cuba possibly?

To bad we weren't an isolationist country.

I was against it but the more I think about a solution to the problem I think the following: We should pull back to the Kuwait Border and let the Sunni and the Shia fight it out once and for all. That would pit Iran and the Iraqi Shia against Syria, Saudi Arabia and the Iraqi Sunni. This would be a no holds barred nockdown drag out ending in a literal last man standing scenario.

Maybe it's more complicated maybe not.

Edited by Kansan

"Effect of Conscription on Drum Corps";

The "Draft" of the 1960s which was doubled then threbbled by mid decade to support the conflict in South East Asia devasterd the drum corps activity in both the senior and junior arenas. Some of the corps that were "Lost" include the Chicago Royal Airs, Bridgeport's PAL Cadets & Buccaneers, the Pittsfield Cavaliers, St Roccos Cadets, the NY Kingsmen, Springfield Marksmen and Norman Prince.

In the Fall of 1967, I remember our bugle instructor/arranger pulling three people from baritone and putting them on contra bass, as our entire CB section had been "Conscripted". Try as I did, to offer "Me" as a replacement bari (Had played a Getzen Deluxe in two previous "City" corps) 'Management' wanted the (Continuing tradition) all 'male' horn & drum lines. Marched my "Age Out" year in the guard.

Our 1967 hornline went from 40 to 28 in the "Off Season" of 1967-68, and by the Fall of "68" the corps was (As well as our remaining cross town rival) "Gone".

Personnally, I do not forsee a return to "Universal Conscription" other than an actual all out global conflict.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Yeah, big difference between THEN and NOW - back THEN, there was the DRAFT - and I know many former corpsmates in Kilties (69-70) went into the National Guard but some still got drafted - and today, there is no draft.

So for those worried about today, there IS NO DRAFT - nor is there one planned - military reenlistments are very high now, those who want to serve can and will (for all the right reasons), one can continue drum corps without that Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads, and that's a good thing!

I don't think the draft had any effect of corps membership. I attended college from 1965 to 1969 and my 2S (student deferrment) was only valid while I was attending classes. My status reverted to 1A when summer vacation started. I was walking around with a 1A classification from May - Dec 68 (college started in Sep and I just couldn't be bothered to apply for the deferrment untl Dec). I'm surprised I wasn't drafted. The only difference is that I'd have ended up wearing a green uniform rather than a blue one.

Edited by Goldpin