When do you think the Blue Devils will play a full jazz show again?

Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think the Blue Devils will play a full jazz show again?

• This year
    • Within the next 3 years
    • Within the next 10 years
    • Within the next 15 years
    • Within the next 25 years
    • Never again
  2. 2. Would you like the Blue Devils to play a full jazz show again?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I never met an actual mind-reader before. You seem to know.. well.. just everything and especially what my intent and throughts are about anything I ever post... maybe even before I post it!

That's amazing. Does that "gift" keep you up at night?

:worthy:

Stef

You should head over to the CE forum more often. There's mind readers everywhere over there.

Hey, I never said "stalking" and "love" were synonymous with each other. :worthy:

:ph34r:

awesome!! lol

Not a year goes by where the Blue Devils don't do SOMETHING in their show that is of a "jazz" nature. Just because they are not doing the same charts they did 20 years ago doesn't mean their jazz days are over. Open your minds and your ears, people.

I think this is an unfair response. The topic of this thread is "When do you thing the Blue Devils will play a FULL JAZZ show again. Not hints or tid bits of jazz in a show. Shoot.....these days most corps stick a small jazz lick in their show...probably for scoring more points (Hey judge....we can play jazz, classical and this and that.....) Also, this person did not mention anything in regards to old BD or 80's BD or anything.

My response to the poll is that BD will never return to an all-jazz show. To me.....it is a HUGE shame that they have not stuck to what made BD so great. I don't mind a couple of experiments here or there but to ME, BD had the greatest, most pleasing styles of music on the field. Jazz is so intriguing because you have to do more than just play the notes off the page to make it sound right. You have to FEEL jazz to make it sound right.

Its funny.....Wayne Downey was probably the best arranger back in the 80's. In the late 90's/2000's....I have a real hard time calling half of what has been arranged for BD "True Music" (ie melody and musical lines)

PS I was a HUGE BD fan at one time and not an off season goes by without me thinking that they might come out with a KILLER JAZZ show again someday.

1986 BD is my favorite DCI show EVER !!!!

Triple Forte

Its funny.....Wayne Downey was probably the best arranger back in the 80's. In the late 90's/2000's....I have a real hard time calling half of what has been arranged for BD "True Music" (ie melody and musical lines)

PS I was a HUGE BD fan at one time and not an off season goes by without me thinking that they might come out with a KILLER JAZZ show again someday.

Sooooooo...

I sincerely dissagree with your comments regarding Wayne Downey. I believe he still is one of if not the best brass arrangers in the world. The Blue Devils have won the Jim Ott SIX times since 1997, and a total of 20 times since their induction into DCI in 1975. Those numbers racked up by Mr Downey should speak for themselves.

And as a side note, I STILL do not understand how people are not counting 2003 as an all jazz show. Are you counting the "space chords" section against it?

Sooooooo...

I sincerely dissagree with your comments regarding Wayne Downey. I believe he still is one of if not the best brass arrangers in the world. The Blue Devils have won the Jim Ott SIX times since 1997, and a total of 20 times since their induction into DCI in 1975. Those numbers racked up by Mr Downey should speak for themselves.

And as a side note, I STILL do not understand how people are not counting 2003 as an all jazz show. Are you counting the "space chords" section against it?

2004 too

I sort of understand where you're coming from but who are you to define what "true music" is, and say what BD is playing isn't music. That isn't very fair, or true really.

Lets take a look the statement I made which you also quoted....

QUOTE(Triple Forte @ Jan 25 2007, 10:15 PM)

I have a real hard time calling half of what has been arranged for BD "True Music" (ie melody and musical lines)

One of the key words to take note of is "I". Forums are filled with peoples opinions. No one is saying this is fact. I have defined BD as being a corps that hasn't been presenting true music. I can define it anyway I want....because its my opinion. BUT (And this is a big BUT) I have seen "lots" of posts and have spoken to numerous drum corps fans from all over the country who feel that BDs' arrangements have been one of (If not) the clearest example of "Chop Shop arranging".

On a positive note.......I think BD has made a step in the right direction with the Godfather show....so heres hoping they keep heading that way....

Again....I have been a HUGE BD FAN in the past.......its just been tough for me to get in their corner consistantly the last 10 years....

Triple Forte

Sooooooo...

Is "Best arranging" a caption award ? Brass Performance is.....right ?? Big difference.

I have ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR BD's BRASS PROGRAM AND THEIR EXCELLENCE !!!! THEY ARE SOMETHING BEYOND WORDS AND THE GREAT WAYNE DOWNEY IS THE KEY TO THIS SUCCESS !!! I own the 70 $ Dynasty Brass DVD of BD's approach to technic and warmups.....

I JUST DONT LIKE HOW HE HAS BEEN ARRANGING THE BRASS PARTS FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW. I THINK HE COULD DO MUCH BETTER. Stop trying to mesh 5 songs in to one and let the melody breathe a little bit....shesh.....

I sincerely dissagree with your comments regarding Wayne Downey. I believe he still is one of if not the best brass arrangers in the world.

I do NOT feel he is one of the best arrangers in the world (Right now) who has been turning out GREAT arrangements recently.......

Although.....the Godfather shows a bit more promise.....

Triple Forte

Wow.

I never met an actual mind-reader before. You seem to know.. well.. just everything and especially what my intent and throughts are about anything I ever post... maybe even before I post it!

That's amazing. Does that "gift" keep you up at night?

:huh:

Stef

But of course, he is right. It's what you do best .

~G~