Update from DCI Meetings

BOOO...

150 Members passing = :worthy:

Electronics failing = <**>

a 10-10 tie! SOOOO CLOSE!!!

We'll get it next year! (Keep up the good fight George!)

What's lame is that the instructors caucus overwhelmingly passed it.... The BOD is SO out of touch.

Well, you know my opinion....but I don't agree with your last statement...

The corps admins look at all of the factors revolving around a proposal....financial, logistics, etc...instructors are more focussed on the 'artistic' side.

While I wish it had passed...the close vote makes me think it wil next year, so for me it's not a biggie. I defer to the BOD members in doing what they think best.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I said quality not quantity, right? But on the other hand, that certainly doesn't mean that no corps can clean a show with 150 members. Adding 15 more people is not automatic dirt. Different corps have different capabilities.

And I certainly wish those corps that choose (or are able to) go up to 150 the best. I would love to see an amazingly intricate, clean show performed by that many people. Again though, those are 15 people who will not be marching in a lower-tier corps. Don't give the argument that "when people don't make their first choice corps, they give up." You're talking to someone who didn't give up after not making the first corps he auditioned for. I marched with others who are the same way. Sometimes when people audition for that first choice corps and don't make it, they think "wow, this isn't like high school band. it sure is a lot more work. I don't think this is for me." There are really plenty of people like that out there. Also, are those that are too lazy or blind to march a corps that isn't going to get a ring really the kind of people you want to be marching with? Are they in it for what's best for the corps, or for what's best for themselves?

George has all ready stated that he will re-propose electronics next year.

Anti-Electronics folks need to get to the instructors conference and make sure this doesn't get out of caucus.

Since it was what, 17-2..how do you see that happening?

What I'm reading so far....

More marchers in Div I and guessing that will pull some Div II/III members away if they make the Div I cut. Also guessing this will keep even more people who miss the Div I cut from going to a Div II/III. Thinking if going to a lower Div is "beneath" some people after missing a spot in 135 members, it will be even more "embarassing" to go somewhere else after missing being one out of 150. (Don't flame me folks, repeating what I've read on DCP.)

How many move from a div I cut to div II? One of the constant complaints is how rare that seems to be. I don't see the impact you seem to see.

Also electronics adds to the expense of a corps. #### it GH, put aside what you want and do what you think is best for DC in general for once. And pushing for expensive #### that some corps will break the budget in getting is NOT what's best for DC. The rich (corps) get richer and the not so rich corps get it up the ###.

Maybe he DOES think it best for DC in general...even though you may not.

Does anyone know the 10-10 breakdown in voting on the electronics issue? I'd like to find out how each corps voted.

its not the corps that voted. the members didnt all go to the meeting and vote. it was the directors and the directors alone. whatever the outcome is, if you have a tantrum and say "well corps x isnt getting my money bc they voted this and that" then youre potentially hurting all the members of that corps that did not get a say in anything.

as fans we may not see much of a difference but as members we will. Think about it...most corps equipment trucks are packed as it is especially with amps and such now. So add 15 new instruments and guard equipment and you have to wonder where it'll all go. Do you rent another box truck? On top of that more food and how are the corps supposed to get the extra 15 down the road? Sure as heck can't put them in the staff bus so do you buy a new bus? While I'm all for opening opportunities for more to march, cause i hate seeing people cut, it doesn't really seem logical. And how do you pay for it? Obviously raise the fees! I'm not taking one side or another but that was my 2 cents

You have a point on where all that extra equipment is going to go on the truck, especially if some of these corps decide to add 10 or 15 horn players. But certainly an issue that each individual corps will address on their own and figure out...nobody will force any corps to add 10 hornplayers...(but the "keeping up with the jones'" effect will certainly be strong...)

As far as getting the extra 15 members down the road, the reasoning behind the proposal is that a majority of corps are now renting/leasing/purchasing 55-seat charter buses these days...that is 165 seats for members. The corps see these empty seats as opportunities to (1) include more kids in the activity, (2) as an additional funding resource and (3) an opportunity to provide more flexibility to set their section numbers as they see fit (most notably, a bigger colorguard, IMO).

The corps are already paying to have 150 (or more) members moving down the road. Yes, there are more mouths to feed, and the need to uniform/costume these new members, and provide instruments, and find additional gym floor space (which, at times, is hard enough with 135). But the additional $15,000 - $20,000 in dues these new members would bring in would offset that cost some, and for many corps, the costumes/uniforms & equipment are provided either free or at a reduced cost.

Also remember that historically, corps size has always been established based on what 3 charter buses can handle. That old 128-member limit was not a randomly chosen number. As the capabilities of the transportation side of things has grown, so has the membership limits. We are finally approaching the days when the size/distribution of a corps will be based on what the corps actually want and need.

M

Kadune @ Jan 28 2007, 01:04 PM) *

I think the real test for electronics would be for Hopkins NOT to propose it next year; if it was truly a tie, then others would/should feel just as strongly, and should take the iniative to raise it, not just one man...

Why? He has as much right to propoe it as anyone.

Well, now that I think about it, that comment made more sense when I was typing it than it does in retrospect, but what I was trying to go towards is to see if there's REALLY an interest in it (which with a 10-10 tie, you'd think there would be), someone else could propose it. Yes, Hopkins is the most outspoken supporter of it, but there might be a better chance of it to pass if someone else with a big name (Fiedler, Gibbs, et al.) proposed it; from my limited scope, it seems like a lot of fans are simply against Hopkins, and maybe it's because he simply is the most vocal while the others remain more conservative in their proposals. I guess it would be more of a political move for Mr. Hopkins than a real idea that would change it. I just thought maybe it would hold some sway with voters/fans who decide to spout off their opinion.

Edited by kadune

OMello1 thank you for an honest and worthwhile response versus the "you should really read the proposal" response by some. My reasoning for the post was partially due to the fact that I grew accustomed to riding on buses with only 47-49 seats. Of course they were very old and outdated buses but some corps can't afford the big boys. However things are changing this year with lots of groups so i see the proposal's side of things. Like I said I want to see corps grow. and I will say that maybe the end of my post was a little rash. But regardless what comes with this year's and future proposals I look forward to seeing the activity that we have all come to love grow in the coming years!