Woodwinds

Flutes and saxophones are made of metal and most clarinets players use plastic horns on the field because they don’t wanna ruin their wooden Buffets, so, really, none of them will burn. As for the weather, back in high school, I marched soprano/alto sax for 5 years in heat, rain and snow and my horns managed to survive (as did everyone else’s). You don’t have to be a technician to re-seat a popped spring or glue a pad on. Any player that knows his/her instrument could manage simple repairs.

I really don’t think there’s a need to come up with multiple excuses to keep woodwinds out. In my opinion, the simple fact is that the current instrumentation works fine and has no need to be changed. It's not broken, so why fix it?

They don't burn? I guess then there really is no use...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flute > Trumpet

Flute solos and flute choirs that play INDOORS yes! :)

But not outside. I hated playing flute in jr. high marching band and have no desire to play my flute or recorders outside. (recorder ensemble tried that a year or two ago for a festival, not so good.) :(

Edited by shawn craig

I was a saxophone player from 5th grade through college. The summer before my Junior year in high we needed a contra player and I learned the instrument over the summer (really the two weeks before band camp). I also played tuba throughout college therefore why would you need woodwinds in corps that would not project on the field. Just pick up a brass instrument and learn it.

Edited by CORNEVIE

Okay, the simple reason to keep woodwinds out of drum corps is, IT'S NOT MARCHING BAND!!!!!!!

There is something to be said for the clarity that can only arise from an ensemble of like voices.

Clarity???

Clarity is much more inherent in, for instance, a wind quintet (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon) than in an ensemble of more similar timbres, like a trumpet quartet. Imagine performing Holst's Wind Quintet in A-flat with an ensemble of euphoniums. It would be much more difficult to achieve clarity than with the original, more varied, instrumental colors. So how can you claim there's a higher level of clarity in an ensemble of similar voices? If anything, it's the ensembles of diverse instrumentation that set the standards for clarity...the voices are just easier to differentiate.

Whatever element you're thinking of that sets "ensembles of like voices" apart...I don't think it's clarity.

Edited by horn_star