Why don't the audiences go nuts like they used to?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prozac nation

Thats kind of the way I see it.

The part reason that audiences don't go nuts 'like they used to' (I don't know how they used to go nuts, I haven't been around corps for more than 3 years) could just be attributed to the changes of cultural and social norms. It seems more people are 'told' what to like now, rather than 10, 15 years ago.

Plus it seems like there is a lot less .... face ripping loud :P

....I still thought that the reactions I've experienced where crazy

Nonsense. First off, no designer sits down and says, "First I want to make sure I please the judges. Then we'll worry about the fans." People like to say that designers are greedy. They absolutely are! They want as many people as possible to love what they produce. Whether or not they are adept at pulling it off, of course, is always a question mark which depends on their own talent, the talent of the corps they are designing for, the talent of the staff who teaches the show, and numerous other factors. Such has it always been in this activity. You can't please everybody. Secondly, trying to encapsulate what the "go nuts" crowd wants into a defined set of words or criteria is virtually IMPOSSIBLE. People like different things. And different aspects of a performance lead to different responses. A quiet ending to a show can be just as, if not more so, emotionally powerful and entertaining as any company front played at triple fortissimo, but it might not cause the crowd to "go nuts." So don't try and pretend as if there's some magic formula for all of this and that what you want is what everyone wants. It doesn't work like that. Never has.

There are plenty of shows these days that generate tremendous audience response. People around here would have us believe that such moments are happy accidents. They're not. Those shows are DESIGNED to generate that response from the audience, in addition to what those moments offer the judging community.

Can it be that in the insular world of the artist that many of the current designers may be out of touch with what will please the audience? Or how to go about it while meeting competition demands?

Kinda my thought is that some may be; or that some may think theirs is the only way; and forget everyone else. And that is what sometimes causes this:

:huh::wub::huh::huh::huh::huh:

ok... so i'm sitting here in my office at school listening to SCV 2000 on my ipod and it gets to the part aroun 2:20 where the corps is in the pinwheel and closes into a box, and the audience goes nuts...

I don't know if it's just me, but it doesnt seem like crowds are as willing to go ape #### anymore... I miss hearing recording where you can tell there were 20,000 ppl cheering their ##### off for a cool move or section... I mean, listen to PR 93 during and after the crabstep... wow!

what do you guys think?

i believe we're massively inducting a whole new fan base, and that leads to uncertainty as to what is and isn't okay to do during a show. but i agree, hearing old shows and the crowd goin' wild really gets the blood pumping.

Because it's not drum corps anymore!

Last time I checked.....

yup...Still Drum Corps International.

Just beacuse some use amps to resolve ballance issues, it dosn't make the activity any different.

Nonsense. First off, no designer sits down and says, "First I want to make sure I please the judges. Then we'll worry about the fans." People like to say that designers are greedy. They absolutely are! They want as many people as possible to love what they produce. Whether or not they are adept at pulling it off, of course, is always a question mark which depends on their own talent, the talent of the corps they are designing for, the talent of the staff who teaches the show, and numerous other factors. Such has it always been in this activity. You can't please everybody. Secondly, trying to encapsulate what the "go nuts" crowd wants into a defined set of words or criteria is virtually IMPOSSIBLE. People like different things. And different aspects of a performance lead to different responses. A quiet ending to a show can be just as, if not more so, emotionally powerful and entertaining as any company front played at triple fortissimo, but it might not cause the crowd to "go nuts." So don't try and pretend as if there's some magic formula for all of this and that what you want is what everyone wants. It doesn't work like that. Never has.

There are plenty of shows these days that generate tremendous audience response. People around here would have us believe that such moments are happy accidents. They're not. Those shows are DESIGNED to generate that response from the audience, in addition to what those moments offer the judging community.

I think designers do consider the judges first. After all, the instructors recommend to the directors what should be evaluated and how, and the directors then instruct the judges what to evaluate and how. So yes, I do believe the judges are taken into account first, then the crowd.

wrong. Its may be where some drum corps are today.

Pleasing your fans should always be your primary objective.

So, why not design a scoring system that rewards what the crowd wants. If the crowd wants "go nuts" shows, then assign those shows the highest scores. Guess what, you would see more "go nuts" designs and then execution and technical prowess will still determine the champion, as it should be.

...to people who thought they had the "most entertaining shows on the field". Others would disagree.

Not many, judging by the audience reactions to their shows and the reading of their placements for nearly a decade.

I think designers do consider the judges first. After all, the instructors recommend to the directors what should be evaluated and how, and the directors then instruct the judges what to evaluate and how. So yes, I do believe the judges are taken into account first, then the crowd.

I don't see how it's any different than ever was. We always used to attempt to maximize our scores by what and we played and how we played it...constantly tweaking the show as we went along.